The online racing simulator
Getting the best possible FPS?
(72 posts, started )
Quote from RiGun :Did you try to recalibrate your monitor with the new drivers? Also you should try downloading LFS Z again and try it without any mods.

Recalibrated my monitor and it didn´t work. Downloaded LFS Z again and same effect. New drivers didn´t solve the problem. So if they only cause trouble there´s no point of using them.
what newerr driver are you talking about, where did you download it from?

SD.
Quote from SparkyDave :what newerr driver are you talking about, where did you download it from?

SD.

GFX card drivers. Downloaded them from the nvidia website.
SD, these ones are old.

Here are the newest ones.
Quote from Shadowww :SD, these ones are old.

Here are the newest ones.

I already tried these, and they didn´t solve anything. I think they made it even worse.
Thank you Shadow

SD.
When did the problems start? How long you had SP2 installed for?

Run LFS in a window and have Task Manager open, Is LFS and CPU going to 100% when crashes happen?.. If the cpu isnt hitting 100% and you still get lag try using Process Explorer to see what process is making the slowdown. Sometimes Svchost's can go wild if theres any dodgy Audio or Video drivers playing up...

http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/ProcessExplorer.zip

Do all your other games still play fine? Also, what sort of fps drop do you get? like down to 3fps?
Oh also, Do you use Windows media Player to listen to music while you play LFS?

Running WMP with Multimedia class Scheduler enabled ruins the pc for anything else thats cpu intensive...
It all started when I bought myself a new gfx card. And as I had a ATI card before everything stopped working so i had to throw everything away again and clean my HD. And install windows and all the other stuff again. Never had that problem of massive fps drops during crashes with my ATI card. And the drop is really massive. Goes from 100fps to maybe 10fps (atleast from how it looks) in such a short amount of time that the fps gauge can´t even show it. It only show a drop down to roundabout 50fps. And if there are more than one crashes it´s even worse. Than it runs choppy until all the cars have stopped flying around. Had that problem in SP1 and SP2.

Edit: No, I only have LFS running.

Edit2: Just had a headon crash with the RA on AU1. CPU was maybe at 12%. Taskmanages says that there are 55 things running at the moment. Attached the screenshot now.
Did you use a system restore disk to reinstall windows? If so, Did you uninstall all of the old ATI drivers first before installing the new gfx card? There might be some old crap lying about if thats the case...

If you used a Proper Windows Disk did you download all the motherboard and sound drivers for the computer? Most of the Windows Update drivers are old versions...
Lol, The ATI driver is still running on your pc... Its the top thing in Task Manager...

Gimme 2 secs, ill get the removal tool....

EDIT:

You might have the removal tool in your c: drive somewhere

Probably in c:\ATI or in program files somewhere

or Google ATI Removal Tool

EDIT EDIT:

Might be in "Add/Remove Programs" too if the restore disk was made properly..
Quote from Foilpact :Did you use a system restore disk to reinstall windows? If so, Did you uninstall all of the old ATI drivers first before installing the new gfx card? There might be some old crap lying about if thats the case...

If you used a Proper Windows Disk did you download all the motherboard and sound drivers for the computer? Most of the Windows Update drivers are old versions...

Actually I didn´t do anything. The guy at the shop where I bought my PC did all this. I haven´t got a clue what he actually what sort of disc he´s used and there is no chance of asking him. There is no ATI related stuff left on my PC.
Did you remove the ATI drivers just now?....
Quote from Foilpact :Did you remove the ATI drivers just now?....

No there weren´t any in the first place.
Whats the first process running in the Picture u posted?

Google it...
Quote from Foilpact :Whats the first process running in the Picture u posted?

Google it...

It indeed has something to do with ATI drivers. But stopping this process still didn´t solve it. Should I reboot my PC now?
I would remove the gfx drivers all of them (using the cleaning tools) then install 1 new clean driver.

Sounds like the "guy at the shop" just did a quick job and didn't do a format and clean install, and thinking about it a format and clean install is really the way to go.

SD.
It will start up again after reboot if you dont disable it...

Theres probably other crap loading then also that doesnt show in Task Manager...

Can you uninstall them in Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs....?

A format and reinstall would be your best option to get the pc running at its best.. Seems like its misconfigured quite a bit and probably loaded with old trial software bloat...

Why not install Windows 7 Ultimate? Its free for a year and much much better than Vista even tho its not even a finished version yet...
Quote from Foilpact :It will start up again after reboot if you dont disable it...

Theres probably other crap loading then also that doesnt show in Task Manager...

Can you uninstall them in Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs....?

A format and reinstall would be your best option to get the pc running at its best.. Seems like its misconfigured quite a bit and probably loaded with old trial software bloat...

Why not install Windows 7 Ultimate? Its free for a year and much much better than Vista even tho its not even a finished version yet...

I always wanted to try Windows 7. And when it´s free for a year what does "a year" mean? A year from the moment you´ve installed it or something else? Is there a danger of only getting a black screen after I installed Windows 7 because all the drivers have stopped working? I ask this because I haven´t got a clue how to reinstall Windows. I would never say "How hard can it be?" like some person you surely know, if someone would ask me to do something I don´t know anything about.
I think its free to use until March next year.. Its free at the moment because its beta test software...

Formatting and installing windows 7 is really easy compared to years ago. You would loose all ur stuff on the PC but its so much better than Vista... All you would really need is your Internet drivers i.e. network/wifi drivers on disk just in case Win7 didnt have them.. Once running it should be able to get most other drivers automatically from Win Update...

All you really need is to get it online and then your fine...

If you are not bothered about wiping your hard drive and you have a System Restore disk then its worth a try.. If it go's wildly wrong then just use the Vista restore disk to make the pc "An new"

EDIT:

Why not download Sun VirtualBox and Windows 7 then have a few practice runs in a Virtual machine?

I have seperate installs of Win7, Win2000, Longhorn Beta and Microsoft Singularity... All in a folder in My Documents... Ive got Win7 running in a small window atm as i type this in Xp...
Or you could (i think) make a new partition and run both OS's, as i had 98se and XP on my old PC.
Quote from Foilpact :I think its free to use until March next year.. Its free at the moment because its beta test software...

Formatting and installing windows 7 is really easy. You would loose all ur stuff on the PC but its so much better than Vista... All you would really need is your Internet drivers i.e. network/wifi drivers on disk just in case Win7 didnt have them.. Once running it should be able to get most other drivers automatically from Win Update...

All you really need is to get it online and then your fine...

If you are not bothered about wiping your hard drive and you have a System Restore disk then its worth a try.. If it go's wildly wrong then just use the Vista restore disk to make the pc "An new"

EDIT:

Why not download Sun VirtualBox and Windows 7 then have a few practice runs in a Virtual machine?

I have seperate installs of Win7, Win2000, Longhorn Beta and Microsoft Singularity... All in a folder in My Documents... Ive got Win7 running in a small window atm as i type this in Xp...

Still got a couple of questions:

1. What do I do when the March 2010 has come?

2. What are internet drivers?

3. What if I install it, reboot and the only thing I get is a black screen?
1. Either buy Windows 7, crack it or go back to Vista... You really dont want to stick with Vista tho. Vista was like a half-assed practice run for Windows 7 imo..

2. How do you connect to internet?.... With a modem or Wifi or LAN?

3. I highly doubt that would happen..Windows installers have been mostly reliable for the last 10 years... BUT... If all fails, Do you still have your system restore disk? If so then just pop it in, press a couple o buttons and Vista will be reinstalled like it was when u bought the pc....

Before we go into these things tho...

Have you tried/looked in "Add/Remove Programs" to see if you can remove the ATI drivers? This might fix all the problems and u might not need to reinstall Windows....
Quote from Foilpact :1. Either buy Windows 7, crack it or go back to Vista... You really dont want to stick with Vista tho. Vista was like a half-assed practice run for Windows 7 imo..

2. How do you connect to internet?.... With a modem or Wifi or LAN?

3. I highly doubt that would happen..Windows installers have been mostly reliable for the last 10 years... BUT... If all fails, Do you still have your system restore disk? If so then just pop it in, press a couple o buttons and Vista will be reinstalled like it was when u bought the pc....

Before we go into these things tho...

Have you tried/looked in "Add/Remove Programs" to see if you can remove the ATI drivers? This might fix all the problems and u might not need to reinstall Windows....

I´ve got W-LAN.

1. Download Windows 7
2. Install Windows 7
3. Reboot PC
4. Have Windows on PC?

If it´s that easy I´m gonna save all the stuff I don´t wanna loose on a disc and install it asap.

Getting the best possible FPS?
(72 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG