The online racing simulator
Getting the best possible FPS?
(72 posts, started )
Hello racers,

I have the worst possible rig to play LFS on ATM, i'm getting 30fps max with 4 people in a server, and i'm trying to pump out more so i can race in leagues, any help on what to change?

Thanks.
Don't know how lol, is it in Control Panel then System?
same thread...

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=1118199#post1118199
Just this helps us tell you approx what maximum FPS you can get from your system, who knows at this point, but maybe 30 is the most you can get. But from my experience helping people, mostly you can get another 25%-50% increase in performance from tweaking a few of the default settings.

Have you tried changing any settings yet? Best to start experimenting see what you can get. Get as many FPS you can from your system using those tips I linked before. Then push up the quality bit by bit until you are happy with quality vs FPS number.
Would be great if someone could help me. Whenever I crash into anything my framerate goes down, and everything is very choppy for a split second. And I can´t understand why. Normally I can run LFS a 250 fps average with lots of high-res textures.

My system is

Windows Vista Home Premium x64 Servicepack 2
8,00 GB RAM
Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.40 GHz
Asus ENGTX 260 gfx card

Anyone can give me some advice. I stopped racing online because of this.
Quote from Deutschland2007 :Would be great if someone could help me. Whenever I crash into anything my framerate goes down, and everything is very choppy for a split second. And I can´t understand why. Normally I can run LFS a 250 fps average with lots of high-res textures.

My system is

Windows Vista Home Premium x64 Servicepack 2
8,00 MB RAM
Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.40 GHz
Asus ENGTX 260 gfx card

Anyone can give me some advice. I stopped racing online because of this.

You might want to use more then 1GB in vista to even make it run proper
Quote from Bose321 :You might want to use more then 1GB in vista to even make it run proper

Oops! I was meant to write 8,00 GB.
Don't worry about me,i know that that's all i can get now
Anyone gonna help me now. Had to correct the size of my RAM.
I never understood the benefit of having an FPS which is higher than the refresh rate.

Not having a go at things posted in this thread so far but for some reason having FPS of 100+ seems to be a must-have to some.
Quote from Joris :I never understood the benefit of having an FPS which is higher than the refresh rate.

Not having a go at things posted in this thread so far but for some reason having FPS of 100+ seems to be a must-have to some.

Most people here are not just playing LFS (I think). And you need a decent graphics card to make all those uber high quality games nowadays look good an run smooth. So you end up with a gfx card that gives you far more than 100 fps in LFS.
Quote from Joris :I never understood the benefit of having an FPS which is higher than the refresh rate.

For the most part it's having the extra overhead so that when things do get intense it never drops below the refresh rate. Although that should only be the case with V-sync off, with it on it should remain at refresh all the time. However, the card should still be able to run at high FPS with V-sync off, if it can't there is no way it will hold v-sync frame rates under load.
@Deutschland2007
What soundcard on onboard soundchip do you have?

Are all your drivers up to date? diid it go like this after you installed a driver or some new HW?

I'm thinking it its only when you crash it could be a (this is a just a guess)corrupt soundfile, or the higher count of oblects (tyres,ect) flying around ?

You could try increasing the priority of LFS in taskmanager,

If you've got a creativelabs soundcard that could be the prob.

SD.
Quote from DragonCommando :[...] the card should still be able to run at high FPS with V-sync off, if it can't there is no way it will hold v-sync frame rates under load.

not wanting to split hairs but IIRC if Vsync is on, the card never suffers the same loads as with it off, because it draws/sends only when the monitor calls.

Just to contradict myself...
I used to get bad tearing so enabled Vsync until a few weeks back when I was doing some testing, and with it off I get anywhere between 80 and 300 odd fps (ATI HD 4870) and since last GFX driver update, or maybe its LFS test patches, I dont get the tearing anymore, and LFS just looks better than when I was at 60 or 80 FPs constant, I cannot explain it

SD.
Quote from SparkyDave :@Deutschland2007
What soundcard on onboard soundchip do you have?

Are all your drivers up to date? diid it go like this after you installed a driver or some new HW?

I'm thinking it its only when you crash it could be a (this is a just a guess)corrupt soundfile, or the higher count of oblects (tyres,ect) flying around ?

You could try increasing the priority of LFS in taskmanager,

If you've got a creativelabs soundcard that could be the prob.

SD.

Well, I´ve increased the priority of LFS in the taskmanager now. At the moment I´m downloading the newest drivers for my gfx card. Then ill see if something will change. Updating the gfx card drivers alone hasn´t really helped me. But I can´t find out what sort of soundcard I have. I don´t know anything about computers. But all this started when I put the new gfx card in my PC in February. Before this everything was fine.
If you have a windows keyboard you can hold down the left windows key and press PauseBreak (if you have diff keyboard, open control panel click system properties) then click on the Hardware tab then on device manager
you should see a little + next to Sound Video and game controllers click it and this should tell you some info on what sound devices you have. BTW any yellow triangles in device manager list?

or you can click start/run type dxdiag hit enter and when it opens click on the sound tabs again should tell you at least who made it

Good luck

SD.
Got a completly new problem now after I installed the gfx driver updates. The picture is smaller than the monitor. God I could cry because of all this.
Shift+F9-F12 if you mean ingame,

if you mean your desktop, then change resolution (right click desktop/properties/display) change resolution, click ok, if it dosent work it should revert back in 15 secs or so, then try a different res, your monitors will have an amount of pixels, set resolution to that and leave it, unless text ect is too small

SD.
Quote from SparkyDave :Shift+F9-F12 if you mean ingame,

if you mean your desktop, then change resolution (right click desktop/properties/display) change resolution, click ok, if it dosent work it should revert back in 15 secs or so, then try a different res, your monitors will have an amount of pixels, set resolution to that and leave it, unless text ect is too small

SD.

Changing the resolution didn´t solve anything. It already was setup correctly. There was an about 2cm wide black stripe all around the picture. Went back to old drivers now, as the new ones only coursed more trouble. Still the same thing when I crash. But can it be soundcard related when last year when I had my old gfx card everything was fine?

Have to get some sleep now. I´m to tired now. Well good night everyone. :-)
Quote from Deutschland2007 :Most people here are not just playing LFS (I think). And you need a decent graphics card to make all those uber high quality games nowadays look good an run smooth. So you end up with a gfx card that gives you far more than 100 fps in LFS.

Just enable VSync?
Quote from Shadowww :Just enable VSync?

It´s no better with VSync on. And if that helps: I only get that effect in LFS. In other games you nearly don´t notice it, but in LFS it´s just extreme.
one of the easiest things to do if u want more FPS is to change "MinimumSleep" to 1ms its somewhere in the settings of LFS.. it makes my fps jump from 120 to over 350..
Quote from Feffe85 :one of the easiest things to do if u want more FPS is to change "MinimumSleep" to 1ms its somewhere in the settings of LFS.. it makes my fps jump from 120 to over 350..

My minimum sleep is already set to 1ms.
Quote from Deutschland2007 :Changing the resolution didn´t solve anything. It already was setup correctly. There was an about 2cm wide black stripe all around the picture. Went back to old drivers now, as the new ones only coursed more trouble. Still the same thing when I crash. But can it be soundcard related when last year when I had my old gfx card everything was fine?

Have to get some sleep now. I´m to tired now. Well good night everyone. :-)

Did you try to recalibrate your monitor with the new drivers? Also you should try downloading LFS Z again and try it without any mods.

(72 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG