Windows 7 (Including RC)
Linux
Macintosh
I dont have PC (using public computers)
Any other/older operation system
Windows 95 (Including OSR2)
Windows 98 (Including SE)
Windows 2000
I find it way more funny how Dustin still says a Mac beats a PC, even if they are more or less the same since Apple switched from the PowerPC-CPU (which was quite a nice one I have to admit) to Intel CPUs and think his OSX is so great even if it is just an expensive BSD distribution.
Well, a Mac is expensive, so it just has to be awesome, right?
sam could you please shut your 12 year old and his delusions about the size of his penis up? hes getting boring
Quote from STF :
You`re telling me it`s against the Apple ToS to install OS X to a normal PC, if you own the dvd let`s say? Cool.

You'd be correct.

http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/macosx.html

Article 2.a.

Quote :
Or against forum rules to make false affirmations like the second row of the "reported" post. That.. just wanted to divert attention a bit from the useless bantering.

Anyway, I thought apple was all about open source. Saw it somewhere earlier.

They're for Open Source of things that they do, but the technologies that OSX uses are designed to be used on Apple labeled hardware.

Quote :
You know what, i`ll literally borrow the latest Leopard dvd(10.5.7? ) TOMOROW, from the pc store i used to work for.. and let Apple sue the store.
They have macs too now so it should be easier to pinpoint. They are rare pieces or technology.

Good luck, those DVD's you torrent (sick of them saying "find in the usual places" to cover their ass.), are specially made to have custom kernels to allow your PC hardware to work.

Quote from Shadowww :iCan't iGet iWhy iApple iPuts ii iBefore iAny iProduct iName i.

Does it matter what something is called? Would you not use Firefox if it was called "Smelly poop browser 2" or would you go based upon its technical merits (Which in my opinion it has more demerits than merits, but that's for a different thread).
Quote from dawesdust_12 :
Does it matter what something is called? Would you not use Firefox if it was called "Smelly poop browser 2" or would you go based upon its technical merits (Which in my opinion it has more demerits than merits, but that's for a different thread).

Well if Firefox was called "Smelly poop browser 2" thatd make me want to use it even more
And the majority of the people i know would use it due to its name haha.
Quote from Migz :If mac is so amazing then how come the people who do buy a mac end up putting windows on it?

Mainly because some programmes do not support Mac OSX.

Quote from Shotglass :its idiot proof and shiny

pretty much. Without Doubt mac OSX is more user-friendly.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Does it matter what something is called? Would you not use Firefox if it was called "Smelly poop browser 2" or would you go based upon its technical merits (Which in my opinion it has more demerits than merits, but that's for a different thread).

You forgot? It's open source, everybody can rename it
I have Windows XP Media Center edition. And possible its the most annoying OS ever.
Imma get a new Pc and ill be using vista 64x ultimate.
Im a bit critical but lets see how its gonna be
Quote from Stefani24 :Imma get a new Pc and ill be using vista 64x ultimate.
Im a bit critical but lets see how its gonna be

I run Vista X64 no problem, for me it's more stable and faster than XP.

You might want to turn off indexing and superfetch services but thats it

You shouldn't have any problems, most people who bash Vista just jumped on the "Vista is crap bandwagon" when it first came out. That was only due to driver's being rubbish and nothing to do with Vista itself.

A bit like like saying "damn my bike for not oiling its own chain"
Quote from Bob Smith :Agreed. There's no reason a PC can't ever be as fast and responsive as the day you bought it, so long as you don't try and do something silly like run a more modern operating system than it can handle. If I hadn't thrown out my old P166, I'm sure it could run Win98SE and Word2000 just fine. Almost wish I hadn't now, as I can't easily run all my old DOS games. It had a VLB graphics card, SB AWE32, the works.

It will probably run smoother then Windows 95 or 98 on a modern computer. It will just crash because of hardware the OS does not expect.
Quote from mclarenmatt :

SuperFetch? Why?
Quote from mclarenmatt :You shouldn't have any problems, most people who bash Vista just jumped on the "Vista is crap bandwagon" when it first came out. That was only due to driver's being rubbish and nothing to do with Vista itself.

Vista is the ME of the NT based series, Seven is the Windows Vista was meant to be. If you're not going to play DirectX 10 games, I probably would wait for that to come out.
I'll stick to my XP however, I see no reason to kill my perfectly fine working system just to install a different OS.
Quote from mclarenmatt :I run Vista X64 no problem, for me it's more stable and faster than XP.

You shouldn't have any problems, most people who bash Vista just jumped on the "Vista is crap bandwagon" when it first came out. That was only due to driver's being rubbish and nothing to do with Vista itself.

The thing with Vista, is mostly UAC. People who don't work with a computer 5hours a day, mostly don't know how to get games to run properly. Thats a very big downside for me. (Still, DX10, is an upside of vista, so lets see how me and vista x64U will come along)
Windows 7 is good.
Quote from Jakg :SuperFetch? Why?

I have 4GB of Ram and Superfetch on my system seemed to take memory but not release it when needed! Turned it off and my system run's perfect, this is the only weird problem I have ever had with Vista

Quote from herki :Vista is the ME of the NT based series.

Explain please?

Quote from Stefani24 :The thing with Vista, is mostly UAC. People who don't work with a computer 5hours a day, mostly don't know how to get games to run properly. Thats a very big downside for me. (Still, DX10, is an upside of vista, so lets see how me and vista x64U will come along)

You can turn the UAC right off like I have

If an older game doesn't work in Vista alot of the time by running it in XP Compatibility mode solves the problem. There are a few old games out there that won't work through that method though

Quote from G!NhO :Windows 7 is good.

Windows 7 is very good indeed, I will upgraded as soon as it is released
Quote :Explain please?

windows ME was a beefed up windows 98 that sucked pure donkey balls, during the time that windows 2000 was gaining speed as the newest NT-based windows.

windows from the beginning was a gui shell on top of DOS, be it a real DOS, or microsoft's later implementations. then came NT, which had a new kernel and heightened security and multi-user capabilities. that progressed to windows 2000, and subsequently xp/2003/vista. i believe 7 uses a new kernel, but i could be wrong.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :It's terribly obvious, becuase what he says is "bad" is simply Apple being ahead of the hardware curve.

Eh? When have Apple ever been ahead of the hardware curve? All their flagship products are just very well publicised versions of other products.
Quote from mclarenmatt :

You can turn the UAC right off like I have

If an older game doesn't work in Vista alot of the time by running it in XP Compatibility mode solves the problem. There are a few old games out there that won't work through that method though

Please tell me how to do that. (turning uac off)
Quote from Stefani24 :Please tell me how to do that. (turning uac off)

Control Panel> User Accounts> Turn User Account Control On or Off.
Everyone here should love what Apple have done at the WWDC, even if you are a PC user.
With the new Snow Leopard pricing at $29 for an upgrade, i reckon this will force Microsoft to lower the price of their coming Windows 7
Yeah, except Microsoft would rather steal a whole 3 day's pay from you for their operating system.

It's great that I can upgrade MY OS by simply mowing a lawn or 2.

(and it's 10$ if you buy a Mac from Monday onwards to upgrade)

What operating system do you use?
(198 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG