The online racing simulator
Blackwood, <1.15
(34 posts, started )
Blackwood, <1.15
Hey guys. I'm relatively new to LFS and I managed to get myself a nice wheel so I play quite abit. I have S2 but Blackwood is still my favourite track followed by South. I ride Blackwood in a FBM with and i've practised loads. The driving line option also helps alot, my current PB is 1.15.49 (i think) and I see some people driving 1.14 and 1.13. I've made 1.14 my goal, is there any advice you guys can give?
Give it more gas.
If you upload a replay of you doing some laps we will be able to help you much easier. You can do this by:

1. Drive some laps in single player mode.
2. Press "2" and save the replay with a name you can easily notice and remember.
3. Exit LFS and post a reply here, and upload your replay which will be saved in your LFS/Data/spr folder.

I have attached a good setup for this track which I used to run my PB of 1.13.09.

Good luck,
Attached files
FBM_BL1^vTrema_Q_v1.set - 132 B - 964 views
#6 - G!NhO
#7 - amp88
Hey, yeah I rode 2 laps. Attaching the replay. Also im currently driving with a setup with alot of oversteer wich I like since it's pretty easy (I drive with a wheel) but i'll try the setup posted before now (thanks)
Due my replay being to big for the forum here it is: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=97Y886I2

also i slip amazingly fast after a corner in ur setup racer hero. any tips for a wheel driver with it?
Quote from TheFlexican :Hey, yeah I rode 2 laps. Attaching the replay. Also im currently driving with a setup with alot of oversteer wich I like since it's pretty easy (I drive with a wheel) but i'll try the setup posted before now (thanks)
Due my replay being to big for the forum here it is: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=97Y886I2

also i slip amazingly fast after a corner in ur setup racer hero. any tips for a wheel driver with it?

bump
Hey Flexican,

braking is one of the most important things on Blackwood and the more effective you can brake the faster your times will be. I know it sounds obvious, but trust me with some propper trial braking you can do some pretty decent times. Also, try to minimise the time between switching from brake to gas, you can go through most of BL corners with full throttle
I did some 400 laps with my G25 and my PB is 14.03 so far...
Quote from SukebeSpitfire :Hey Flexican,

braking is one of the most important things on Blackwood and the more effective you can brake the faster your times will be. I know it sounds obvious, but trust me with some propper trial braking you can do some pretty decent times. Also, try to minimise the time between switching from brake to gas, you can go through most of BL corners with full throttle
I did some 400 laps with my G25 and my PB is 14.03 so far...

braking is the biggest waste of power/acceleration - just steering alone gets me faster through some corners ( driving a neutral style, not too safe or aggressive )

ride the momentum
#12 - Zay
use line when u press 4 but for t1 brake at the 50 sighn.also brake at the 50 sighn at that wide turn at the end of that long backstretch straight.my pb is 1:14:91.oh ya and thats with about 200 laps on bl1
I recently finally started to use downforce properly which results in ~0.5 sec speedup around the track, so I dare to chip in some hints...

When you ease off accelerator while cornering, you're loosing front downforce and understeer at speeds that should get you safely through with some throtle on.

Try to brake earlier but shorter (that 50m marks are good tip, also chicane starts) you won't loose that much speed when rolling near to the apex. There hit the accelerator and straighten your wheels (if you don't you might understeer anyway)

And in the end... nothing revolutionary but... the smoother lap the shorter time...

ps. 1.13.7 with mouse is what I managed to reach atm... just can't get a hang of trail braking with mouse ;-)
I got so close today. I got another setup and i got to 15.05 (i think).
Like 0,5 seconds then i'd be on 14
Man, watch some of the NON-sliding near-WR replays! Those should help you to see how it should be driven. You really need to use all the track, and don't brake so much.
The last corner can be taken by releasing the gas for less than half a second then flooring it, and the chicane should be full throttle all through.

As a beginner I would stay off the curbs though.. They will make you spin.
Quote from RasmusL :Man, watch some of the NON-sliding near-WR replays! Those should help you to see how it should be driven. You really need to use all the track, and don't brake so much.
The last corner can be taken by releasing the gas for less than half a second then flooring it, and the chicane should be full throttle all through.

As a beginner I would stay off the curbs though.. They will make you spin.

I do all of those, and i've been getting faster on the last corner too. The 1:15.05 was driven with like 15% fuel so I guess if I try i can make it
@TheFlexican, all the setups at www.setupgrid.net and http://setupfield.teaminferno.hu/ are all good setups......BUT!!! you need to realise that most of those setups are geared specifically for the drivers style who uploaded them. i've tried bawbags and all the other 1:12.xx setups and they fail me very miserably due to my driving style, i use a G25. About a month ago a guy sent me a setup which compliments my driving style and i tinkered with it a little......i never thought i'd get below 1:15, but with my tinkered setup 2 nights ago i got 1:14:74 then right after that i got 1:14:70. last night i couldn't get lower than 1:15:10....lol
You have to realise too that it's like anything else in life....some people are just naturally skilled drivers, others are not.....same as football(soccer) some people are naturally gifted, others have 2 left feet and all the coaching in the world would not make them better.
Another tip is not to try too hard at beating your PB, when i beat my PB it wasn't until last bend at BL1 that i realised a PB time could be broken, yet when i set out with an aim to beat my PB i fail miserably, i find that just relaxing and enjoying the drive seems to produce better lap times, but that is if you have the correct setup for your driving style.
My problem with other setups was like you....always spinning out at corners....then someone send me a setup that suits my driving style and to me is very hard to spin out.....i've set the caster to 5 if that is too sensitive set it back to 6, i also used the gear ratio's from bawbags WR setup.....try it and see if it improves your spinning out. Also another mistake your maybe making (i know i did) is trying loads of different setups.....as i said most setups that are made are specifically made for that drivers style and maybe useless to other drivers style, find a setup that you can drive quite easily and keep to that setup....practice, practice, practice with that setup....get to know it inside out.....then if you feel you have pushed that setup to it's limits then make a copy of that setup and start to tweak little parts of the copy setup.....you might find you get a little more out of it when you tweak it a little. After you have tweaked it so far and you are back to a setup that you can't handle, then i'm afraid i think you have reached your limits as a driver. We can all have aspirations to be a record holder like bawbag, but sadly for many, many, many of us it will remain a dream and we have to accept we will never be that fast, and actually many of us will never even reach 1:13.xx.

Nighthawk.
Attached files
FBM_{CA}.set - 132 B - 633 views
what are your current split times?
anyway, the first sector is the hardest one (23.9 -24 would be a good start to achieve your goal), also the last curve (no brake) it's very tricky. Try not to brake too much and learn about the trail braking. And always look the place that you want to be. Good luck.
Quote from jason_lfs :what are your current split times?
anyway, the first sector is the hardest one (23.9 -24 would be a good start to achieve your goal), also the last curve (no brake) it's very tricky. Try not to brake too much and learn about the trail braking. And always look the place that you want to be. Good luck.

0:24.390 0:54.380 1:15.050
Is that i'm at at the moment. Last curve i just release gass steer in and gass on again. What is this trail braking ur talking about though?
Also 1 thing i've noticed is that my wheels lock almost every corner I come in really fast (T1 and the turn after the zigzag one *forgot the name*) my wheels lock at braking and that creates puffs of smoke from my reartire
#20 - Zay
if ur usin racer heros set theres no tire lock(i have it).oh ya and with those split times u should be getting 1:14s so that means ur losin alot of time somewhere in between the last split and the start/finish line.hope i helped
Oh yeah the best tip I can give you What about months or even years of practice, that's probably the best strategy
Yeah with a second split of 54:38 you really should be under 1:15 at start/finish line....my bet is your losing time at the right hander just after second split...and also at the final bend which can be tricky to get bang on.....the right hander after 2nd split you should be taking at 85mph or above...last bend 90mph and above.
My split times are slightly faster 24:25 and 54:33...lap time is 1:14:70, so you are definitely losing time at final 2 bends.
Quote from {CA}Nighthawk :Yeah with a second split of 54:38 you really should be under 1:15 at start/finish line....my bet is your losing time at the right hander just after second split...and also at the final bend which can be tricky to get bang on.....the right hander after 2nd split you should be taking at 85mph or above...last bend 90mph and above.
My split times are slightly faster 24:25 and 54:33...lap time is 1:14:70, so you are definitely losing time at final 2 bends.

Well thanks, I'm now gonna try the setup u had in ur post earlier and practise.
-
(INeverGiveUp) DELETED by SamH : AMB
GUYS I DID IT. 1.14.86 yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
Grats.

Blackwood, <1.15
(34 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG