The online racing simulator
Windows 7 Release Candidate
(73 posts, started )
Absolutely loving Win 7...just installed the VirtualXP addon...seems to be working ok, but need to find out about installing hardware drivers such as joypad/wheel/etc...(under virtualxp. obviously!)
Anybody done this yet?
This is looking good, although I have a minor but annoying problem with my sound drivers, I use the Kx drivers for my SB Live 5.1 and the mixer, which is needed to have full 5.1 surround sound, won't load in auto-start, It gives an error that can be corrected if I launch the mixer as an administrator and Windows Vista compatibility so no biggie.

Is there any advantage to use the 64bit version if I have 2gb of ram? currently I'm using the 32bit, I think that It uses less memory, right now when Windows finishes loading it uses 600mb of ram.
Quote from RiGun :Is there any advantage to use the 64bit version if I have 2gb of ram? currently I'm using the 32bit, I think that It uses less memory, right now when Windows finishes loading it uses 600mb of ram.

Only if you have 64bit cpu will windows use it to it's advantage but in realworld terms you won't feel jack in difference tbh.
#54 - Jakg
From every review i've seen x64 OS'es actually tend to use a little more RAM than the x32 versions...

As it is i'm running Windows 7 RC x64 on PC#2 which has "only" 2GB of RAM and I haven't seen any issues yet.
I did a quick research and found that my sound card won't work under x64 so I'm stuck with x86 version for now although I could use the on-board sound.
#56 - Jakg
A random request, I know, but could anyone with Windows 7 RC (7100 - preferably x64) please open Regedit and search for "IsShortcut"? I deleted it following a guide on the net - and it's broken some stuff. If anyone could tell me where it is, and what value / type it is?

(a screenshot of regedit would suffice to make it easier!)

thanks.
Quote from Jakg :A random request, I know, but could anyone with Windows 7 RC (7100 - preferably x64) please open Regedit and search for "IsShortcut"? I deleted it following a guide on the net - and it's broken some stuff. If anyone could tell me where it is, and what value / type it is?

(a screenshot of regedit would suffice to make it easier!)

thanks.

Looks like re-installing MS Office will cure your woes...found quite a few references to it, and the vast majority were in MS Office apps....
Attached images
Capture.JPG
#58 - Jakg
oh shizzle - seems it must be a common one then :X

I don't have Office installed - could anyone without Office installed do the same please?
#59 - Jakg
Could you expand:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile

And then search again? Might find the one I was looking for...

Thanks ever so much for whoever does this.
Quote from Jakg :Could you expand:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile

And then search again? Might find the one I was looking for...

Thanks ever so much for whoever does this.

Attached images
Capture.JPG
#61 - Jakg
Thanks - fixed it!
as i dont want to open up a new thread ill just post here.

today i installed win 7 RC on my secondary pc (athlon xp 2600+, 1 gb ram, geforce 7600GS).
tried to play a game only to find out that my fps is almost half of what it was with xp.

so, does anyone know if this is normal?
if not, how to fix it?
already tried various gpu drivers, but didnt help.

if this cant be fixed im gonna do a rollback to xp i guess.
How much ram memory does your pc have? Did you optimize Windows? Because it loads a lot of crap by default... Anywaw, I guess is normal since a single core cpu is very week for Vista/7... I think you still can improve your frame rate, but in XP will be always higher
You may want to mention what game it is that you're trying to play, as some games will obviously run better on XP than they do on Win7

I can't be of any more help, unfortunately
its alright, i already re-installed XP
Everything in Vista/Win7 is about 20-30% slower, On single and multicore Pc's...

Apps get on screen slightly quicker but cant get as high throughput as Xp....

The only time Vista/Win7 will be faster is when core counts get above the number supported by Xp....

Quad core with Vista offers the same performance as tri-core on Xp roughly....

http://www.infoworld.com/t/pla ... gap-windows-multicore-273
I read in order to have cpu advantage in Vista/7 you need at least 16 cores, then your cpu performance will be faster than a XP with the same cpu.
Those are all nice arguments and stats but the fact of the matter is that Win7... just runs a hell of a lot smoother than XP I don't care what anyone says Of course it's hard for me to really compare the two as the XP installation I've got is nearly 4 or 5 years old

I always find it funny, though, that people only look at numbers. Of course XP is gonna be faster than Win7 on an identical machine. Just like Win95 will outperform XP on a identical machine. So does that mean we should all go back to Win95, because hey, it's faster!! No, of course not. I find Win7 a lot more enjoyable to work with and that's a very important aspect
On my computer, win7 works alot better with games and etc.. (spec in sig)

I won about 20fps ingames.. and btw, win7 supports dx10, xp not.. Of course, in a single core cpu, I wouldn't install win7..
Quote from obsolum :I always find it funny, though, that people only look at numbers.

well, having 60 fps (xp) to 20 fps (7) is quite a difference to me
Quote from BoyGTA :Of course, in a single core cpu, I wouldn't install win7..

I did, and it runs well. Much more enjoyable too.
Athlon XP 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM, 80GB HDD.

Windows 7 Release Candidate
(73 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG