The online racing simulator
Timing improvement
(60 posts, started )
Quote from GeForz :So why is the thousandth's byte always zero?

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that its not always 0. I must admit I dont use InSim very often.
Quote from ayrton senna 87 :bob, crumble them up

Blasphemy!

Nooooo, my precious!
Quote from ayrton senna 87 :bob, crumble them up and throw them on track, then u will see some crashing action

WRONG

Crumble them up, put them on the track, and watch me stop to gather all the bits up and eat them... :P <---licking lips
I would love to see this. There have been to may races where LFS had a 'tie' thanks to this.
+1 for this!
Be great for drag racing, and leagues that do short races (like the league I am trying to organise (that no-one has signed up for)).

+1
Why? Isn't .xxx enough? What would be the point of the extra decimal place? The higher the frequency of the physics, the more CPU intensive it is. If we had a 300Hz physics engine, then you would need a proccessor 3x as fast just to get the same performance. This would mean that if your CPU was being used more, your framerate would lower, and more RAM would be eaten up.
#33 - Vain
I don't like doing my pb more than twice and that happens to me quite often. So I'd really like LFS to measure and show thousands. Though I won't scream in terror when the patch doesn't bring better time measurement.

Vain
For the love of all that does not suck, implement thousandths

It's all I want really. Is it difficult?
I wanna suggest this too. Thanks for bringing up the old thread.
Viewing the Hotlap time and some other high-standard league trackers (like OWRL), you can probably find that the time is equal thro.
As said so colorfully earlier by our lovely community heroes it is probably dependant on... ehm... many things. Anyways, for qualifiy events, hotlapping and last laps on racing this would be good. It is possible to finish at the same 0.0x time but quite hard at 0.00x

+1, low priority warning and imho LX8 is more important
Quote from Hyperactive :

+1, low priority warning and imho LX8 is more important

More rally cars and tracks would be more important!
I would like to add that some people I've chatted with in IRC see the lack of .00x's as an excuse to call LFS "not a proper simulation". I disagree with this but it's something to think about.
Altrought I do see an unusually high number of "same best lap" in races, I have the feeling that a new colision and impact absortion system is more important than this decimal.
Ok, there are lot of more things that can be considered more important of this, but i really would like to see .xxx measurements on split and lap times implemented.
I just went into LFS and tested. If you crash into a wall at a speed higher then 200kph, then you just go right through. I think that the tire collisions are done at a higher frequency then body collisions. What is the relation between speed and detection of collisons?
Tbh, I don't really miss that third decimal... Hardly ever I see identical times, and as other truthfully pointed out, there are things way more important to improve...
LFS seems to do the results list in thousandths/absolute frequency terms anyway, I've had photofinishes where the time sheet reads a +0.00 gap but LFS still puts the correct car as finishing first.
#44 - VIP
I too would like to see the third decimal implemented in the game.

Does anybody knows if the developers ever talked about implementing it in the future, or the case is closed?
Quote from VIP :Does anybody knows if the developers ever talked about implementing it in the future...

They rarely talk about the future of LFS. Maybe you'll see it in the next big patch or maybe you don't.

PS: Yes, we know about AI change, SO and WE improvements + some other things, but we won't have any clue about these smallish things. You'll know after S2 final!
GO GO GO third decimal!
Actually the bit about internal vs external loop was quite interesting
This thread is the most bumped thread ever :
2005-2006-2007-2008
Well I just came back from a 3 year absence into LFS and I must say If this software wants to be called a SIMULATOR I think the devs need to get on the stick and improve the timing.

Its not just inconvienient to be consistant and have a lot of times the SAME lap time but its needed. Look at formula1 they are talking about going to .xxxx digits due to much closer performance between cars.

Comon DEV'S please show us you agree and update our favorite SIM to .xxx timing capability.

Rob
Quote from tristancliffe :
As it is Nitrous Oxide (NOS is a trademark of one particular firm, and by using their logo you might run into difficulties, especially if you ever managed to get sponsership, or make money from it) is solely used by poor drag racers (poor in terms of money, who can't afford to go Top Fuelling :P), and spotty 17 years olds with Vauxhall Novas, who have a (combined, i.e. all of them in the world ever) IQ of 17.3.

wow... that's not ignorant at all

Timing improvement
(60 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG