The online racing simulator
AI cars should continue after finishing, not stop right after the finish line.
It would be nice if the AI drivers, after finishing a race, continued around the track. They could either slowly circle the track indefinitely or, better yet, they could take a cool down lap, then enter the pits.

Obviously, this will require the AI pitting behavior before it will work. But even just having them continue to lap would prevent the wall of cars that's always present 50m past the finish line of the race.
LOL- what AI?
There are "A" drivers in single player mode, but they're definitely not "I"

Besides, biffing that wall of cars is a great way to celebrate another victory over your opponents

I'd prefer that they were able to get faster by "learning" from my own driving, then single player mode may have a point
I would prefer it if they came pre-educated.. at least a little bit.
That would be ideal...good ol' GPL's AI are adjustable, so you can get them running at alien speeds if you're feeling brave
they could go slowly after finish the race...
when i played Sports Car GT a long time ago...after a race the ai cars in that style didnt stop dead...they just coasted....perhaps thats an idea for the devs when they make the AI for S3?
#8 - X-Ter
IMO, Nascar Heat has the best AI solution. You simply run a clean lap as fast as you can. This creates a ghostcar file (.GCF) for that specific track (and mod), which then are used as "guide" for the AI cars. They don't follow this path exactly, but usually stay within two meters of the center line. The AI also uses the setup you used when creating this .GCF

If LFS could implement such a thing, you could creat good custom AI's for any track in no time at all.
AI drivers are mostly lacking in any intelligence... I have watched one car repeatedly ram slower cars lap after lap.

I would like to see the AI improve thus:

1) Learn NOT to crash into slower cars when flying down a straight :bump:
2) Learn to try and out brake and overtake before corners
3) Learn to try to overtake when cars ahead are slow on a straight ie not necessarily the racing line overtaking
4) Avoid clipping/ramming cars when being overtaken on a corner..within reason
5) Learn to go faster on Kyoto ... omg how slow on the long bend! illepall
6) Learn from faster drivers too....
7) Driving to the pits and using pits would be nice too

I try and let the ai learn the course for 20 or so laps before racing with them but sometimes they all crash out into the gravel and wheelspin for an eternity.

Great game, look forward to each update...looking forward to the AI being updated
Well the AI are completely broken and I don't think anyone denies that.. It is kind of funny hearing people wanting improvements on the AI when they don't really work at all. Some tracks they can't even make it around the track.. some they just follow a line like in Gran Turismo but will ram into you like you aren't there..

LFS has the potential to have a great off-line game mode.. even a career mode type single player if they wanted.. It would add a lot to the game, practicing with really good AI can be fun.
Quote from BWX232 :Well the AI are completely broken and I don't think anyone denies that.. It is kind of funny hearing people wanting improvements on the AI when they don't really work at all. Some tracks they can't even make it around the track.. some they just follow a line like in Gran Turismo but will ram into you like you aren't there..

LFS has the potential to have a great off-line game mode.. even a career mode type single player if they wanted.. It would add a lot to the game, practicing with really good AI can be fun.

only thing theyre good for is not hittin their own...pull up behind...blippin the throttle...after whatever time it takes to analyze (a few minutes?!?!) they then pull around and pass the slower AI..
LOL- yeah.. I bet someday when they get them working good- it will be fun to race them though.. I can't wait- I like racing AI once in a while.. especially good AI.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG