The online racing simulator
More LfS Licences on one PC??
(25 posts, started )
Is it possible to change the user for one LfS Installation on one PC?
I ask this because some friends visit me from time to time for racing. And i don't want them to ruin my statistics!

Another question: Is it possible that more than one PC can connect to LfS from one Internet-Connection? Some games made problems when trying to play with more PCs on one internet-connection. (IP is the same for all PCs?? - Thats how a friend explained me this problem).

Thanx!
Quote from --==Gogo==-- :Is it possible to change the user for one LfS Installation on one PC?
I ask this because some friends visit me from time to time for racing. And i don't want them to ruin my statistics!

Another question: Is it possible that more than one PC can connect to LfS from one Internet-Connection? Some games made problems when trying to play with more PCs on one internet-connection. (IP is the same for all PCs?? - Thats how a friend explained me this problem).

Thanx!

you can change change the driver-profile used in S2, so having to different licenses on one installation should pe possible

and connecting from various PCs through the same IP is also possible, if your connection is fast enough to handle it.
Wow. This Forum is really fast.

Thanks a lot.

I will try this driver-profile-thing!
I'm not sure I understand the driver-profile - specifically how it handles different licenses tbh. I think its unconnected, but I could be wrong

Probably the best solution is to lock it, and then unlock it with another user's account information. The downside is, ofc, that you can only do this a few times a month, before you run out of user unlocks
#5 - Gunn
Just make a 2nd installation in a new folder and unlock it with a new license.
If you do what Gunn said then you can copy your skins/skins_x/dds/pic/setup/layout folders into the fresh install of LFS.
You can have several "names" on one licensed account, each with seperate local stats. The online stats are for the registered licence name (and will reflect "bad" driving).
If some of your friends get banned, it's your (S1/S2) account that is banned. (and not the selected player name)

To have two licenses on one computer you can copy the LFS directory and install a seperate S1/S2 licence on the second directory.

Edit Sloooow typing...
Quote from Gunn :Just make a 2nd installation in a new folder and unlock it with a new license.

Just an Idea...

Would it work to copy an already unlocked LfS into a new directory on another PC? So no unlocks are wasted.
Nope, you can't just copy the allready licensed directory, and you are also only able to be online with one PC (at at once) with your S1/S2 account.
Quote from SniperX :You can have several "names" on one licensed account, each with seperate local stats. The online stats are for the registered licence name (and will reflect "bad" driving).
If some of your friends get banned, it's your (S1/S2) account that is banned. (and not the selected player name)

To have two licenses on one computer you can copy the LFS directory and install a seperate S1/S2 licence on the second directory.

Edit Sloooow typing...

never tried it, because i have no 2nd license here, so maybe the copy option is the better alternative

as far as i know, all stored data is inside the LfS main folder, so copying it should also copy the unlock and your license - so if he puts his LfS version (unlocked on his license-name) on a cd, he should be able to use it everywhere without wasting his unlocks.
i would be careful where i place it though - to prevent others from driving with my license and getting me into trouble

EDIT: SniperX have you ever tried it? i think you can just copy it. you could in S1 and i think you still can in S2. i backed up my S1 folder because i reinstalled windows and i didn't have to unlock it, after copying the folder back onto the hard drive
Quote from the_angry_angel :Probably the best solution is to lock it, and then unlock it with another user's account information. The downside is, ofc, that you can only do this a few times a month, before you run out of user unlocks

There is no need to do that.

When your S2 licensed friend wants to drive on your computer, simply go into the unlocking screen and let him type in his name and password there. When he is finished, type in your own name and password again. Then you don't lose any unlocks.
Quote from Scawen :There is no need to do that.

When your S2 licensed friend wants to drive on your computer, simply go into the unlocking screen and let him type in his name and password there. When he is finished, type in your own name and password again. Then you don't lose any unlocks.

Perfect! Thanx!
Quote from DasKlee :EDIT: SniperX have you ever tried it? i think you can just copy it. you could in S1 and i think you still can in S2. i backed up my S1 folder because i reinstalled windows and i didn't have to unlock it, after copying the folder back onto the hard drive

Did you re-install or just use an image? Afaik your windows install is one of the things LFS uses to make a unique ID for your machine.
Quote from tailing :Did you re-install or just use an image? Afaik your windows install is one of the things LFS uses to make a unique ID for your machine.

i did a fresh install back then (HDD was changed) but i'm not sure why it worked then.. maybe a bug
Quote from DasKlee :..
EDIT: SniperX have you ever tried it? i think you can just copy it. you could in S1 and i think you still can in S2. i backed up my S1 folder because i reinstalled windows and i didn't have to unlock it, after copying the folder back onto the hard drive

Its possible to copy the directory with license (at least the main menu still reports me as a S2 licensed racer). But that will not be any different than selecting another player name in the original LFS installation.
(Online stats will still be collected for the registered name)

:-)
Quote from SniperX :Its possible to copy the directory with license (at least the main menu still reports me as a S2 licensed racer). But that will not be any different than selecting another player name in the original LFS installation.
(Online stats will still be collected for the registered name)

:-)

that's why it was suggested here

have your (licensed) friend copy his own LfS instalation on CD, come over to your house, put the (on your friend licensed) copy on your PC and have him run races online on his name

but since scawen pointed out that changing the license of a previously licensed version doesn't count as unlock, this way is far easier than gunn's my suggestion of a second installation
Quote from Scawen :There is no need to do that.

Ah ha! Thats quite cool....

Edit: I might really regret openly saying this, but; isnt that sort of a security risk? I'm at work, so I cant test it, but can you unlock it, then remove the username and password completely, and still connect to S2 licensed servers?
No, of course the user name and password that is typed in must be valid for the online mode you want to use, or the master server won't help you.
That means there is no data stored on your computer when you login? nice
Just checking
Quote from SniperX :

Quote from Gunn :
Just make a 2nd installation in a new folder and unlock it with a new license.

So is it possible to have two licenses on one computer, in two different folders? I searched the forum, but noone said 'I have two WORKING licenses on one computer, without problem!'.
My brother wants to buy a license too, and we want to be (very)sure, that the 24£ won't be wasted.
Yes you can.

LFS doesn't look in other folders, and doesn't write into the registry. It doesn't even know the other copy of LFS is there. So yes, you can have as many licenses as you like, unlocked in different folders on the same computer.

If it helps - I have different licenses unlocked on one PC.
Quote from Scawen :Yes you can.

LFS doesn't look in other folders, and doesn't write into the registry. It doesn't even know the other copy of LFS is there. So yes, you can have as many licenses as you like, unlocked in different folders on the same computer.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm sure that we will have a new S2 licensed racer soon.
When do you get into the area of needing a second licence?
I have retained my old machine and after a servicing by my local friendly computer shop I lost my LFS installation.
Enter stage right my new PC. It has got the full version of LFS and runs great together with the latest patch.
Now I'm thinking of putting a router link between the two machines.
Being a sort of belt and braces man, if one machine breaks down can the one licence stand if I download LFS to the older machine?
Quote from peejayh :I have retained my old machine and after a servicing by my local friendly computer shop I lost my LFS installation.
Enter stage right my new PC. It has got the full version of LFS and runs great together with the latest patch.
Now I'm thinking of putting a router link between the two machines.
Being a sort of belt and braces man, if one machine breaks down can the one licence stand if I download LFS to the older machine?

Yes, you can install LFS on different machines... You can only go online with one machine at any given time though.
I have an installation on this laptop which is unlocked, only to be able to watch replays and test insim stuff (at a whopping 12fps), and one on my desktop with the same username/pass combo to actually race (at a cool 100+ fps).

(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG