The online racing simulator
MUSIC SUGGESTIONS.. Need some new material!
(33 posts, started )
Well I've been getting annoyed with my music collection, I find myself skipping loads of tracks. I just want some new stuff that I can chill out with..

Unfortunately there's a grey area between those horrible depressing songs and the 'normal' stuff I'd listen to. I'm not really sticking to any particular genre, as long as I can get "into the beat" I'll happily listen to anything.. my collection ranges from Pat Metheny, through to Eric Clapton, Via Genesis, to Eminem and Nas.

Although as a rule of thumb I prefer light R&B and hip hop though.

It's very hard to explain what I'm looking for.. I'm not sure if it's my headphones (they are shit, my Mum stole my Seinheissers because "she wanted them" (hasn't used them since) and bought me these £10 bargin bucket ones.....but anyway) or the music but lately 95% of my music has annoyed me.. It's the sharp tones and heavy bass and treble that to me. I've tried adjust the setttings and the like but doesn't get me anywhere..

I've looked through Youtube but never really come across many "new" songs/artists..

I like to be able to just close my eyes and relax with the music..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVYza0NiWuU

This track by J-Dilla is what I'm the sort of stuff I'm looking for. There's no really harsh bass and the track is just very "laid back" if you can understand me...That's the sort of R&B I listen to.. but as said I'm not stuck to a specific genre..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phr-ySMX5EU

This track by Talib is about as "harsh" as I'm looking for at the moment..

But as I said, genres.. I like a bit of Drum n Bass, but again as long as I can get into the beat.. currently it's pretty much the whole "Hold Your Colour" album, and the Crazy World by J Majik/Wickerman track..

But yeah as I said I don't mind if it's old or new, rock, rap or (rape?) techno/dance... just some fairly easy listening stuff please.. suggestions?
-
(Wenom) DELETED by Wenom
#2 - Danas
If your in to dnb atleast a little, you should like the songs played here.
]
bassdrive.com
-
(Blas89) DELETED by Blas89
DUB/Electro/Techno/that jazz

Chase and status
Richie spice
Dj splash
Brian Abbey
State of mind
Pendulum
3 Nights later
shapeshifter
benga
skream

shit like that

And uhh as for chilling tunes

We are cannons - Shiny toy guns
Never far from right- Brian abbey

Cant really think of much else I have ike 8,000 songs on my ipod lol
Instead of trying to find something that will maybe fit your criterias, i'll just list a few and you can decide for yourself if you like them or not (i'm sure you know most of them already).

- Wax Tailor
- Ninja Tunes
- The Cinematic Orchestra
- Q-Tip (The new album)
- Large Professor (genius, check out In the Sun feat. Q-Tip)
- Anything from A Tribe Called Quest (very relaxed stuff, and basically still the best hiphop around)
- People Under The Stairs
- Blue Scholars
- Grand Puba
- Nujabes (some very relaxed stuff too)
- Typical Cats (try tracks like "Thin Red Line" or "Any Day")
- Pete Rock (check some instrumentals)
- J. Rawls (again, check out some instrumentals)
- K'Naan (for a change, not exactly relaxed tho)
- Five Deez (check out b.e.a.t.)
- Souls of Mishief (cab fare, 93 till infinity)
- Phife Dawg (Ventilation album)
- many more...

I dunno if it works in your country (in switzerland it doesn't anymore), but if it does, try www.pandora.com to find new music. It's a brilliant site.

PS: J Dilla is not R&B... blasphemy!! It's HipHop as good as it can get!
Use Spotify (because Pandora isn't available) to find the music recommended here (available for free in the UK, not available in the USA, outside of Europe and in some European countries. Full of legal music to stream! Adverts every 15 mins, just like a real life radio station. I love it!
Quote from jibber :Instead of trying to find something that will maybe fit your criterias, i'll just list a few and you can decide for yourself if you like them or not (i'm sure you know most of them already).

- Wax Tailor
- Ninja Tunes
- The Cinematic Orchestra
- Q-Tip (The new album)
- Large Professor (genius, check out In the Sun feat. Q-Tip)
- Anything from A Tribe Called Quest (very relaxed stuff, and basically still the best hiphop around)
- People Under The Stairs
- Blue Scholars
- Grand Puba
- Nujabes (some very relaxed stuff too)
- Typical Cats (try tracks like "Thin Red Line" or "Any Day")
- Pete Rock (check some instrumentals)
- J. Rawls (again, check out some instrumentals)
- K'Naan (for a change, not exactly relaxed tho)
- Five Deez (check out b.e.a.t.)
- Souls of Mishief (cab fare, 93 till infinity)
- Phife Dawg (Ventilation album)
- many more...

I dunno if it works in your country (in switzerland it doesn't anymore), but if it does, try www.pandora.com to find new music. It's a brilliant site.

PS: J Dilla is not R&B... blasphemy!! It's HipHop as good as it can get!

This man knows his stuff.

Appearing to like the same sort hip hop and alternative hip hop/electronic based instrumentals.
There is an artist named "Pogo" on Last.FM (and Youtube), who makes free Chillout music from samples of old films and Disney stuff. Its excellent.

Other than that I'm more from the Indie/Rock division. But try Deichkind or Fettes Brot if you want to know how (a small part of, no Gangsta stuff) german hiphop sounds like
The Qemist
Black sun empire
Evol intent
Cause 4 concern
Imp-Act
Matar
Mistabishi
Logistics
Noisia
Spor
Jade
Aphordite
Roni size

Quote from Not Sure :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79SN8I9Fw8M

OH SHIT THAT IS GOOD!
Ohh right guys thanks for the responses!

Quote from jibber :Instead of trying to find something that will maybe fit your criterias, i'll just list a few and you can decide for yourself if you like them or not (i'm sure you know most of them already).

-snip-

Yeeeeeeeeesssss!

Funnily enough I have the "I like it" song by Grand Puba.. I checked out A Tribe Called Quest and I'm sort of liking some of their stuff! Good good.

I remember seeing some Pete Rock stuff when he's playing about with his MPC, good stuff.

Nujabes wow that's exactly the sort of thing I'm after!

Quote from Not Sure :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79SN8I9Fw8M

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessss

Quote from SilverArrows77 :Something from downunder

Hmm not bad sir

Quote from R34king :DUB/Electro/Techno/that jazz

Was looking at chase and status yesterday it was a bit too hardcore. Some of the pendulum stuff is ok and I have a shapeshifter thing already
The first one was good, the second one was too like hardcore and was like "AHHHHHH TURN OFF"
You should be ashamed of yourself for not knowing ATCQ!

@DTrott:
Feel free to throw in a few names. I'm always looking for good stuff i don't know yet.

The top posted above are pretty good, Intrepid yours is a bit of a "mood" thing but still good nonetheless.
http://www.last.fm is your friend.

I've lost count of the number of awesome bands I've found through that, none of which I'd have ever heard of otherwise.
Quote from S14 DRIFT ::jawdrop: See how can I miss such awesome music as this!!

you just need to get out there and not be scared to try new things

Amon Tobin is brilliant, need to search out some of the albums which I never got round to doing...Top Gear also love using Amon Tobin as backing music.

may I suggest edIT as a good band to check out, his album Crying Over Pros For No Reason is widely regarded as awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGT8VnHy34g&fmt=18
Quote from Mp3 Astra :Use Spotify (because Pandora isn't available) to find the music recommended here (available for free in the UK, not available in the USA, outside of Europe and in some European countries. Full of legal music to stream! Adverts every 15 mins, just like a real life radio station. I love it!

Really good link Passo, found me some good new stuff
Thanks Mookie&Crashgate.

I'll check out Spotify when I have a few spare minutes cheers Mister Astra.
Will Smith!

Summer Time is one of the all time great albums!
Since you've been looking for "easy listening" and relaxing music, one thing that you never can go wrong with would be...

*drumroll*

Bob Marley!

Everybody knows Bob Marley, i know... but sometimes you have to remind people about the good stuff!

If no other music can cheer me up, the Legend album from Bob Marley will do the job.
#25 - CSU1

(33 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG