The online racing simulator
Need For Speed Undercover
(118 posts, started )
Quote from JeffR :You don't have to download them. The videos will stream live, just like youtube, but with better buffer managing and quality, assuming you use Windows Media Player or the equivalent. The videos will end up in your temporary internet files folder, making for a quick save if you choose to do so after viewing one. Just click on the link to view the live stream, don't do a save as.

Except that there is usually more than one dominant car, depending on the track, and there are multiple tiers (different peformance classes) in many of the NFS games. A classic example, is McLaren F1 GTR versus Mercedes CLK GTR in High Stakes and Hot Pursuit 2. For Carbon, it was the Corvette Z06 versus the Audi Lemans prototype. Depending on the track, one of the dominant cars would be better than the other. For Undercover, it's the Bugatti (high speed), Z06 (overall), and Zonda (tight tracks).

Doesn't automatically stream for me, using firefox. Just opens a save screen. I'll put them in my media player then.

And we were talking about modding cars in LFS, how that would work. And it's just like setups now, everyone would have the same or a similar setup for every track.
And having the looks of the cars changeable, wouldn't be good, since it's LFS here, we would ultimately have a best body kit for every track, and therefore all cars will look the same again. Yes, people would still use a slower or harder car maybe, but all those will look the same. Therefore there is no point in having custom body kits.
Quote from Takumi_lfs :Everything for just one race on that game again!

I still have the original disc.
Quote from Takumi_lfs :1 euro?

Just wanted to rub it in your nose, not selling

Although I'm not really using it. I never tried to get it working on Vista, I know it was a pain in the a-hole on XP.
Quote from JeffR :The videos will stream live, just like youtube, but with better buffer managing and quality, assuming you use Windows Media Player or the equivalent.

Quote from sgt.flippy :Doesn't automatically stream for me, using firefox.

Is there a way to tie Windows Media player to auto-launch for .WMV files? The alternative would right click on the link to a wmv file, click on copy shortcut, then open Windows Media Player, right click on the top bar, then file, then open url, then paste in the url, and stream / watch the video.
Quote from JeffR :High Stakes

Quote from Takumi_lfs :just one race on that game again!

Look for "Need For Speed Collection" or "World of Need For Speed" on either ebay or amazon. Both game sets include High Stakes.

Also there are updates so High Stakes and Porsche Unleashed run just fine on XP (and maybe Vista) here, for the small group of players that still play these games, including online via a player made app:

http://iplounge.net/forum/index.php
-
(Furiously-Fast) DELETED by Furiously-Fast
Mega bump. For those of you who still haven't traded in NFS: UC (very small Number I presume...) who has downloaded the challenge series? I think it is decent, since it got me back to playing the game. the pre-set cars look ok (apart from the pink ford GT. eek!) and the two new modes, Highway wars and highway checkpoints are pretty good too.

As for the Gameplay, I don't think it has improved too much. The fps drops have been fixed a little, but now it looks like it runs at just 20-30 fps. There are also alot of other noticeable bugs around though. Now for action shots!

I think this cop will have a bad headache in the morning...
http://www.needforspeed.com/Sp ... /photomode/21586154/image

Highway checkpoint in the Skyline:
http://www.needforspeed.com/Sp ... /photomode/14869972/image

Veyrons can make vans fly!
http://www.needforspeed.com/Sp ... /photomode/14871427/image

Red and white barriers accident!
http://www.needforspeed.com/Sp ... /photomode/15173839/image

Oh and did I mention I got 34 trophies as soon as I logged on?
Quote from Furiously-Fast :Who has downloaded the challenge series?

Both of us players that still have NFSUC for the PC. (OK, maybe there are more than just 2 of us).

The new cars unlocked by the challenge series show up as "special edition" cars in the career shop, and also as bonus cars. A few of the events took quite a few retires, like the 2nd (street silver) Highway Battle. Some of the pro takeout and cost to state challenges had fairly short times to beat.

Although the GT2 is released last, the Dominator Z06 which is released after 30 dominations (or 31 if you you dominate all the regular level challenges first which rewards the RX7) is the quickest of this bunch. The lack of downforce is an issue, combined with hills and bumps, as it's difficult to turn when your car is airborne. Then again, NFSUC has magic nitrous that increases downforce to help here a bit. The CCX, accessed via a savegame editor is still the overall fastest car.

Lastly, the next NFS is NFS Shift, some of you here keep leaving out the "f" in shift.

This is what the challenge board looks like when completed:

React RX7:

Speed Machine GT2:

Dominator Z06:

Might as well include a video of one of the highway battle events. The idea here is to rip through traffic and hope that by sheer dumb luck in the somewhat randomness of the ai car, that the ai car crashes well enough allowing you to get a 1000 foot lead within the "domination" time. Usually after 3 to 5 dozens good runs this happens by pure chance. The video shows intro clip, doing a pit manuver that isn't even good for a 500 foot lead, a runaway where the AI car simply drives away while the player car is pegged at it's top speed, one of those 1 in 50 runs where the player dominates just in time and a 1 in bazillion chance happening where the ai car get trapped against a wall. Videos made with world effects set to low (no blooming yellow and blur effects):

http://jeffareid.net/nfsuc/nuccshbs.wmv

youtube version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXtsrd8YyXU&fmt=22
I will just say that Undercover SUX

Its so crappy game, textures and ... physics in the first place.
Still had these pictures in my pc of this beautiful car.
Attached images
2.jpg
lulz.jpg
Quote from hazaky :I will just say that Undercover SUX

Its so crappy game, textures and ... physics in the first place.

True. I think even stock LFS (which is DX8LOL) has better graphics.
yes it is DX7
i think if lfs got updated to Dx9 or maybe Dx10 it would be the first racing simulator whit such a Great Gaphic

i think the devs have fully occupied DX7 i never have seen a DX7 game whit such a good graphic
Quote from LFSn00b :Nope, LFS has always been DX7. I don't see a reason how would it look DX8 in any way, otherwise it'd have atleast some motion blur options etc...

Quote from Marco1 :yes it is DX7
i think if lfs got updated to Dx9 or maybe Dx10 it would be the first racing simulator whit such a Great Gaphic

i think the devs have fully occupied DX7 i never have seen a DX7 game whit such a good graphic

No, LFS is DirectX8. It doesn't have motion blur because Scawen didn't code it in the first place, not because of different DX.

If LFS was DirectX7, ENBSeries wouldn't work on it: d3d8.dll. This is also the DLL used by the game to work, and Scawen had some trouble with this dll's crashes (he already fixed it though) when he implemented the new ambient shadows under the car.

I don't know about 0.04 and these older versions, but since I've been playing LFS (2005~2006) it's always been DirectX8.
0.3 was Dx7 If I remember correctly.
Quote :motion blur

I've never seen a game do a true motion blur (film like quality emulation of long shutter open time) on scenery. The closest is the tires in some games.
LFS is DX7 but it uses some DX8 shaders, AFAIK.

Need For Speed Undercover
(118 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG