The online racing simulator
Interesting cars to buy?
(119 posts, started )
How about a BMW Z3 Coupe? I found this and this.
Quote from Michael Denham :One thing I forgot to mention... if you're looking at s2000s, find out whether they're the 2 litre or 2.2... the 2 litres are a little weaker in the low end with a bigger kick when vtec comes in. The 2.2 have a little more low end and vtec comes in a little earlier and smoother too.

The 2 litre revs to 9000rpm...
My opinion:

Nissan S15 200SX
MGF
BMW Z3
Mazda RX-7/ RX-8
From what i've seen, only the 2.0 model is available in switzerland. I'll go for a testdrive on thursday afternoon. I'm curious about the engine characteristics... my main concern is still about the powerband.

The S2000 would be kind of a special car, and since it's the most expensive option so far, i would want to feel very certain about it.

The idea of this thread was to get more ideas however, so keep em comming please!

What i'm really looking for are cars that are "pure" sportscars. The MX-5 was like that, and the 944 turbo i've had a few years ago was falling into the same category. The S2000 does fit in there too.

Other cars i could think of are either getting old (944 turbo for example) or cost a lot of money. I don't want something old because it means you eventually have to fix bigger things (suspension stuff, engine mounts, etc... everything that can "get old" over the years). And i'm not exactly rich, so a used 911 is out of question (maintenance costs for such cars are stupid anyway).

I'm not looking for a BMW, Audi, Nissan, etc. Even if they have limousines that you could call a "sportscar", they are still limousines IMO. If you sit into a real sportscar... it's not about having a 400 horsepower engine, it's about the feeling you get, that the car was made to be driven fast.

To give you an example...
Fiat makes some very sporty cars. The barchetta or the Coupé turbo for example. But i wouldn't consider those to be true sportscars, because underneath, they are just some Fiat Bravo or something like that... with a nicer body, some other suspension, etc. But they still were not built as a sportscar to begin with. And IMO, this is something you can feel when you are sitting behind the wheel.

Quote from GrIp DrIvEr :Don't their engines only last to 75000 miles then they have to be rebuilt?

/facepalm

a rotary is the same as any engine, take care of them and they'll last ages
Quote from Klutch :/facepalm

a rotary is the same as any engine, take care of them and they'll last ages

Oh. My brothers are weird then. They said it has to be rebuilt every 75000 miles. I wouldn't mind having a RX-7, but I really want the FC version. Still, the FD is very cool.

But, if you are looking for power that is still gas friendly, go for a 3rd gen (1983-1992) Camaro. They are oddly really good on gas if you drive it like an econ car, yet they still have that V8 to get you going. I think I might actually go for a Camaro instead of a 240SX, and then I get I could try to get a 350 LT1 and bore it out to a 383 Stroker. Or, go for the 350 TPI. Sorry, getting carried away again.
#59 - Jakg
He's not really looking for performance - rather fun and handling ability, two areas with a Camaro (which I don't think you'll find in Switzerland!) certainly doesn't work well.
Quote from Jakg :He's not really looking for performance - rather fun and handling ability, two areas with a Camaro (which I don't think you'll find in Switzerland!) certainly doesn't work well.

They do have both of those. It all depends on which one you get. I rode in my bro's (before he sold it!) and he took corners at like 1G. Also, it's very fun! You just have to step on that gas pedal, dude.
#61 - Jakg
So you measured the 1g figure, right?

"fun" is not just how fast it can drive or the grip it's got - but how it feels on the road.

Quick acceleration gets samey after a while i'd imagine.
Quote from jibber :What i'm really looking for are cars that are "pure" sportscars. The MX-5 was like that, and the 944 turbo i've had a few years ago was falling into the same category. The S2000 does fit in there too.

Weird how few choices there are isn't it. My thought process before buying an MX-5 was simply, how much fun can I have for my budget, and narrowed it down to the Peugeot 205 GTi (an option?) and the MX-5. I went for the Japanese build quality and have never regretted it.

It baffles me why it's such a small market considering how successful the MX-5 has been in the last twenty years. Normally manufacturers are falling over themselves to grab a slice of a new trend but small, affordable roadsters seem to be beyond most.

For pure, giddy fun, you just can't go wrong with an MX-5. The S2000 is more serious so you're definitely right to give one a drive first. They're very capable and I really like them, but they seem to require a certain taste. I don't know about your budget but you also have to consider insurance costs, and the Honda would be significantly higher than others.

So for small, cheap roadsters you've got the MR2 - dead, the MGF - dead, S2000 - dead, Z3 - dead, and the MX-5...
Quote from Jakg :So you measured the 1g figure, right?

"fun" is not just how fast it can drive or the grip it's got - but how it feels on the road.

Quick acceleration gets samey after a while i'd imagine.

oh, you never even had a Camaro, so how do you know?
I just exaggerated about the 1G thing because it felt like it. Also, how would I know? I rode in one with a brother that can drive like a race car driver. I am surprised he hasn't got a whole lot of tickets.
Quote from ajp71 :The 2 litre revs to 9000rpm...

I know :P I've driven 2 and 2.2 litre versions on the street and autocross. As well as a 2 litre supercharged car with over 300 to the rear wheels Unfortunately all this particular supercharger did was add power right up top, rather than add low down grunt. So it was a little bit faster than a regular s2000 down low, but then suddenly when vtec and the SC hit at the same time it would wheelspin in 1st 2nd and sometimes 3rd! Not the most useable powerband.
Quote from GrIp DrIvEr :oh, you never even had a Camaro, so how do you know?
I just exaggerated about the 1G thing because it felt like it. Also, how would I know? I rode in one with a brother that can drive like a race car driver. I am surprised he hasn't got a whole lot of tickets.

Your constant outbursts of stupidity continue to amaze me.
FWIW, AFAIK the 2.2L and the 2.0 Produce near enough the same BHP, I may even remember the 2.2 had less BHP but more torque, and revved lower, to 8200 or something. BOO!
Quote from Klutch :Your constant outbursts of stupidity continue to amaze me.

Sorry then . It's just that he always thinks he's right, when I have proof. Well, back on topic, dude just buy whatever you want. It's your money.
Quote from GrIp DrIvEr :I just exaggerated about the 1G thing because it felt like it.

Quote :Also, how would I know?

Quote :I rode in one...

Quote from GrIp DrIvEr :Sorry then . It's just that he always thinks he's right, when I have proof. Well, back on topic, dude just buy whatever you want. It's your money.

Me hunts for the proof....

The proof probably comes from where the $1000 you promised comes from, I'll leave you to figure that out.

So.... where is my $1000?
Quote from S14 DRIFT :FWIW, AFAIK the 2.2L and the 2.0 Produce near enough the same BHP, I may even remember the 2.2 had less BHP but more torque, and revved lower, to 8200 or something. BOO!

Yes, but in reality (having driven both of them a bunch...) the 2.2 is more usable on the street, and at autox too. You can always tell a 2.0 at autocross for two reasons... first of all the drivers feel the need to shift down to first gear for hairpins because they have no torque, and second of all, when they are coming out of a turn and they hit vtec the less able drivers spin out The 2.2s have more low end and less of a hit when vtec comes on, which unless you're a teenager who loves saying "ooooh vtec!", is actually a good thing.
Hey I was wondering, whats your price range? Like, what is the max you want to spend? Also, what do you want in the car (like CD player, A/C, power doors, power windows, and etc.)? It's just you could try Autotrader for your searching needs, that's if it works in Europe.
#71 - Jakg
Quote from GrIp DrIvEr :Sorry then . It's just that he always thinks he's right, when I have proof. Well, back on topic, dude just buy whatever you want. It's your money.

What proof did you have again?

EDIT - Power doors? CD player costs all of £30 for a new one anyway etc. I think what he's looking for most of all is something fun and nimble.
Jakg, he rode in one, remember?

If you want something fun and nimble, I would get an old bus, the biggest bus you can find. They are very nimble, I rode in one once.
Quote from Jakg :What proof did you have again?

EDIT - Power doors? CD player costs all of £30 for a new one anyway etc. I think what he's looking for most of all is something fun and nimble.

oops! i meant power locks! Also, I like Camaros, and they can handle. Not better than most cars I would agree, but they can handle. They are quite heavy though.
Quote from Michael Denham :Yes, but in reality (having driven both of them a bunch...) the 2.2 is more usable on the street, and at autox too. You can always tell a 2.0 at autocross for two reasons... first of all the drivers feel the need to shift down to first gear for hairpins because they have no torque, and second of all, when they are coming out of a turn and they hit vtec the less able drivers spin out The 2.2s have more low end and less of a hit when vtec comes on, which unless you're a teenager who loves saying "ooooh vtec!", is actually a good thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... next_from=PL&index=12

I would love to do it every time haha
Hahahaha, kids these days!

Interesting cars to buy?
(119 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG