The online racing simulator
BTCC Donnington cancelled [?]
(31 posts, started )
Just been onto the BTCC website and up until 20mins ago there was a story on the homepage saying that the next stop is Donnington then a big story on it and also the counter on the right was counting down to it but now its gone. The counter is counting down to Oulton Park and Donnington has gone from the calender.
#2 - Bean0
http://www.crash.net/btcc/News ... ther_events_in_doubt.html

Quote :The problems afflicting Donington Park's preparations to host the British Grand Prix from next year have claimed another victim, with the visit of the HiQ British Touring Car Championship – scheduled to be the third meeting on the 2009 calendar on 17 May – being cancelled.

An official announcement is expected within the next few hours, but the news is yet another blow to the Derbyshire venue, which earlier this month had to axe the British F3 and British GT meeting, which was due to take place on 26 April.

It also brings into question whether the British Superbike Championship meeting will be able to go ahead on 25 May and also possibly the World Superbike Championship on 28 June and the British round of MotoGP on 26 July.

An e-mail circulated by BTCC director Alan Gow to competitors broke the news, revealing:

'We have just been advised by Donington Park that they will have to cancel our event (and all other four-wheel events for the foreseeable future) due to ongoing issues regarding the work required to obtain their track licences. It is anticipated that this will be publicly announced within the next few hours.

'We shall now urgently look at our options with regard to replacing that round at another venue and on another date, as there are no firm guarantees at this time that Donington will be in a position to host a round of our championship at a later date. We will, of course, advise you as soon as possible as to any progress as to the re-scheduling of the round.'

Donnington is just one big balls up at the moment.
No big deal, replace it with Cadwell
I'm meant to be racing at Donington in June. Really hoping that the club is looking for alternatives and keeping track of what is going on at Donington - Cadwell or Brands would be ideal replacements in my opinion, although I'd miss racing at Donington.
Oh bum-balls. That's annoying. Donington is one of my favourite tracks in the UK. I hope the company doesn't implode on itself...
Please replace it with somewhere like Anglesey or somewhere different rather than an extra round somewhere. The facilities wouldn't be up to scratch, but why not Kirkiston
my money is on Silverstone.
http://www.crash.net/btcc/News ... n_btcc_was_never_off.html

Quote :Contrary to speculation earlier in the day, Alan Gow has stressed that the HiQ MSA British Touring Car Championship round at Donington Park next month remains firmly on-track

“Unfortunately some wires got crossed somewhere,” the Australian told Crash.net. “I sent a note out to the teams forewarning them of the likelihood that Donington was going to have to cancel the meeting, but that didn't come to pass. It was never actually off.

“They've gone through all their engineering and construction plans for the next week, and everyone is very comfortable with the fact that it's all doable in good time. I'm more confident than I have been certainly; as of now I don't have any doubt.

“It never got cancelled. That was only ever a rumour, which as it turned out was unfounded.”

Quote from duke_toaster :Please replace it with somewhere like Anglesey or somewhere different rather than an extra round somewhere. The facilities wouldn't be up to scratch, but why not Kirkiston

Kirkistown is good, why not mondello?
#12 - 5haz
Mondello is like a go-kart track = carnage.

Nah to be true I remember the BTCC going Mondello a few years back, and the racing was damn close.
Quote from 5haz :Mondello is like a go-kart track = carnage.

Nah to be true I remember the BTCC going Mondello a few years back, and the racing was damn close.

Hehe
Quote from tristancliffe :I'm meant to be racing at Donington in June. Really hoping that the club is looking for alternatives and keeping track of what is going on at Donington - Cadwell or Brands would be ideal replacements in my opinion, although I'd miss racing at Donington.

Unfortunatley Rockingham seems to be desperate for race meetings (I think they were only going to have 5 this year) so I think more meetings will follow last weekends Britcar meeting into being bored to death at it.
#16 - 5haz
Rockingham is an odd place, huge international event capacity grandstands in pristine condition, always empty, feels like a ghost town. Such a shame CART never came back to town.
Quote from 5haz :Rockingham is an odd place, huge international event capacity grandstands in pristine condition, always empty, feels like a ghost town. Such a shame CART never came back to town.

I agree, it has sooo much potential to be a great venue but some how it can't seem to attract the crowds it usually deserves.
I think it's the location. Too near Donington. If that circuit was built somewhere (for example) near Heathrow Airport it would be a commercial success.
Rockingham isnt that far from Silverstone either.
IMO it's probably nearer to Silverstone - in the same county.
Northamptonshire rocks ! Rockingham and Santa Pod are really close to my house (14.3 miles to Rockingham and 7.6 miles to Santa Pod!) so it would be nice to see more decent shows there. Has anyone ever been to the Renault World Series (http://www.worldseriesbyrenault.com/)? It was pretty good last year and is totally free and an opportunity to get to go to a race track to see racing! You even get to see last year's Renault F1 car do doughnuts!
Quote from shaun463 :Northamptonshire rocks ! Rockingham and Santa Pod are really close to my house (14.3 miles to Rockingham and 7.6 miles to Santa Pod!) so it would be nice to see more decent shows there. Has anyone ever been to the Renault World Series (http://www.worldseriesbyrenault.com/)? It was pretty good last year and is totally free and an opportunity to get to go to a race track to see racing! You even get to see last year's Renault F1 car do doughnuts!

wow im jealous
Mondello FTW! Although the reason they stopped because it was costing them more money then they were getting.. So there is no way there will be a round at mondello in the next few seasons anyway..
Well, fair play to Donnington management for getting the track into shape for the BTCC this past weekend. Cracking races they where in the wet and mud . 8 races and 8 different winners, shaping up to be a great championship.
so it was on? i was confused coz i'm watching it right now lol

(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG