The online racing simulator
Keyboard Setups
(26 posts, started )
#1 - jdm22
Keyboard Setups
Hi everybody! How are you?! So, im playing S2 with a keyboard( I know thats suck, but at christmas ,I will get one ) So, I want to know if anybody got a good setup to play all s2 car with the carbord!? PLease! thanks you!
Cars just don't like digital controls, and I think you'll find the game unplayable. You might find the mouse easier for steering, but you'll still find throttling and braking a chore. Anyway, turn on the driving aids and see how you go.

Imagine digital controls in a real life car.
- Instant full acceleration.
- Instant full steering lock either direction
- Instant full brake application.

Lol.

That would suck.
Yes, but neither the throttle, brake or steering is "instant" in LFS. The button rate setting makes throttle and brake applications smoother, and there is a wonderful variety of settings for the steering.

As for setups, you'll just want to maket the car very stable, I'd imagine. I haven't played with kb on S2 (well, other than a 2 min test), it's a lot more stable than it was (post patch F anyway).

jdm22, have you tried my "easy race" setups? They'd probably be a start. And, do try driving with mouse. It took me about a week to get used to it when I switched and it means you can drive all the cars with modest power outputs almost as well as wheel users.
Bob do you use the mouse to drive with in LFS?
Not any more. But I did before I got my wheel.
#6 - jdm22
hehe thanks you!! I will try your Easy setups! Chow and have a nice day!
I`d like to continue this topic. I just can`t get used to driving with a mouse and I still don`t have a wheel. Can anybody help me? I`ve seen some guys making even 1.32.xx on a keyboard so it doesn`t seem impossible to use such device. But my pb is only 1.34.15 (BL GP XF GTI). May be there are some special features in controls options for keyboard, I don`t know. So I`m looking forward to any suggestions. Thanx
I still don't think setups are the answer. I would suggest reading the LFS Wiki for keyboard control tips but the current section is crap so I'm re-writing it as I post this. By the time you read this it should be done.

Hope you find it useful.
Thanks, Bob! It`s quite informative.
For all FWD cars you can simply use the WR setups, also for the 4WDs.
RWD cars are weird, I tried a bit with XRT and my notebook lately but I was like 3 seconds away from the WR, I guess my set was not agressive enough...

And try to set the button control rate to 6, and the steer rate to 0.60 and the return rate to 0.45. Just play around a bit with those values...

this is my set (crap, just been racing like 30 laps with it in demo^^)
Attached files
XR GT TURBO_bl_kbtest.set - 132 B - 567 views
Thanks for setup!

By the way, what limit multiplier number is the most appropriate?
And did you set button control rate at 6.00 on XF Gti as well?
button control rate means faster shifting, and I have enabled this since the option is there hehe

and btw. the setup is slow because it has too much understeer...
-
(Andrew (RUS)) DELETED by Andrew (RUS)
One more question... What limit multiplier number can anybody advise? (Now I`m using smth like 0.60)

By the way is there anywhere special topic for keyboard control options? Thanks.
Thanks a lot, ORION!!!

(Both links still work )
Yea I know that they "still", especially as the first one is my completely new website, which will be finished in a few days (I hope).
I actually meant the content with "valid" - but many of the values written there are not good anymore, simply because the whole physics have changed a lot.
But 6.00 Button rate is still the best, and it will not change
Hi there,

I've been driving quite a bit with keyboard and while I have a wheel I still prefer the keyboard, oddly enough. Perhaps one day when I can get myself a dedicated "simputer" I be able to start driving with the wheel.

Here's a config that is good for at least 1:25 on BLGP /w XRT and a reply of me doing 1:25,37(PB). Any tips for my driving improvement are appreciated.

/Tobbe

Edit: Control setup:

Button Control Rate: 6.0
Steer Rate: 1.0
Return Rate: 1.0
Fast Steer: 2.0 (not in use)
Slow Steer: 0.5 (not in use)
Limit Multiplier 1.05
Attached files
XR GT TURBO_Tobbe - BLGP.set - 132 B - 524 views
1^c25,37.mpr - 420.5 KB - 434 views
Keyboard controls
I was gonna ask similar questions about keyboards controls but you guys have done the foot work and thank you for it. The car is alot more responsive. I am awaiting the 'momo' which I know i am going to enjoy. See you on the tracks!
Calling all KB racers - new patch
Okay..so the new patch is out...and its kinda different now...lap times have gotten slower....and atleast as far as i think...KB racers are gonna suck big time now.....it is really hard....my lap times have dropped by 1-2 secs...nyways i just wanted all KB racers to post any suggestions or setups or any info. that cld be of nyhelp to fellow KB racers....and also tips from pros wld be really nice.

Thanks Zee
#20 - Ziil
Well I still have the same conf. as i did before patch S and 1:33: xx does not seem impossible with XFG on BL1 I'll just need a bit of practise atm i have done 1:34:2 before my best was 1:32:36
The key to driving with KB is that you Have to use slowsteer because without it you'll be flying all over the place in corners
Im wondering what your exact keysettings are. I think the new cars are much more drivable than before, even the BF1 is easy to control after a HUGE drift
Im quite sure that the laptimes are slower because of the setups, and additionally the GTI has lost a lot of power in the patch, to make sure that GT is much faster again. Imo the new physics would have made the 2 cars equal because GT is much easier to drive. Maybe we'll see more than 2 seconds differenve in the hotlaps on Blackwood soon. That is, if there are no changes at the weights of the car (havent driven GT yet, only XRT)
#22 - Ziil
Button control rate : 2.00
steering : 0.48
return rate : 0.42
faststeer : 3.00
slowsteer : 0.33
limiter : 0.80

I pretty much always have the slowsteer button pressed when I'm driving . The XRT is yes alot easyer to drive than before but for some reason I'm slower with it now maybe because I have not used it much i could do 1:24.xx something before patch S now the best i got, after 4 laps :P , was 1:26 something I think I just need to get used to it once more
woah button rate 2.0 - OMG :O

Im using mostly stuff like:
button rate: 6.00
steer rate: 0.60 - 0.65
return rate: 0.40 - 0.45
limiter: 0.76-0.78
lol....how about this...

button control rate - 2.8
steer rate - .25
return rate - .10
dont use slow steer and fast steer...
hello racers.