The online racing simulator
Mafia 2 is Official + screens
(171 posts, started )
4x4 Km ?

Jesus I've played FPS shooters with maps that size (and ok, it takes 5 minutes to run from side to side) but christ isnt that a bit small ?

Did play Mafia1 many moons ago, Mafia2 does look very promising !

Sarge.
it looks really awesome, but i dont think it will beat "Mafia" to me, storywise.

Mafia was amazing, i think a proper good movie could be made out of its story
Mafia 1 was probbably the best PS2 or whatever game.. ever.

When's 2 coming out? I've heard about it years ago, but unfortunatly nothing seems to have...been released?>_<
Fall 2009 says in the trailer.
Wow.. not long at all.
A year till.:doh:
I've been waiting 5 years for this already, so one more year can be done.

I loved the first series, way better than GTA in many ways. I hope Mafia 2 can live up to the expectations, although it's no longer in hands of the same development team.
Quote from sgt.flippy :although it's no longer in hands of the same development team.

Illusion Softworks is now 2K Czech. Or have I missed something?
"From the developers of the award-winning Mafia comes Mafia II..."
"Authentic Script From the Writer of Mafia I: The writing team from Mafia I returns to deliver..."

From the press release. Too lazy to check from Wikipedia how the Take-Two/2K Games ownerships have changed when Illusion Softworks was renamed but I assume the actual team is pretty much the same.
Quote from deggis :"From the developers of the award-winning Mafia comes Mafia II..."
"Authentic Script From the Writer of Mafia I: The writing team from Mafia I returns to deliver..."

From the press release. Too lazy to check from Wikipedia how the Take-Two/2K Games ownerships have changed when Illusion Softworks was renamed but I assume the actual team is pretty much the same.

Hmm, I probably mixed another game or something. I knew something changed, thought at some time the game was dropped.
The gameplay in the video looks shit, I was honestly very disappointed with that when I saw it yesterday. The sounds and the movements are not really there, and the driving looks just awful and static, might be the camera though. Or it might just be my too high expectations, because the original Mafia was so great and that GTA IV just raised the bar on arcade car handling and everything. I don't care if people consider it the most over rated game ever, it's not, it's awesome (if you don't care about how your cousin wants to go bowling and drinking with you all the time). I'm sure we all are expecting a more sophisticated and stylish mobster version GTA IV.

But let's hope they are still far away from release. Cutscenes and athmosphere seem to be spot on. I hope they can finish up the most crusial part, the gamelay itself.
Same here. Mafia had its own gameplay issues but shooting was great with certain kind of "movie realism". Those videos look like any generic pad handicapped shooter with everything happening
half-automatically. Apparently it is still alpha. But release is fall 2009.

Too bad. Production values and other trademarks from the first game seems to be there.
AI seemed a bit dumb and cars lacked bodyroll imo. It's an arcade game, so I think they should get away with having those types of car have a tad excessive body roll. In the first game they did it so well.

Looks great for the rest to me, looking forward to it!
those driving physics look like the crappy ones in The Godfather 2
Quote from trebor901 :those driving physics look like the crappy ones in The Godfather 2

Mm, can't get much worse than that. :o
Yep, looks like utter shit. GTA IV may have rised the bar for driving physics with games like this, but I think even the Mafia 1 looked better physics wise.

And all that, the city and the cars in it seemed to feel really cheap. I dunno what makes it but it didn't look anything like it should. Looked like one of those cheap ps2 games made for little children but just with some violence in it. Sounds were crap too yea.
It looks bad because the camere is fixed to the rear axle.
Do it in LFS and you get all looney too.
I do remember how I used ammunition very scarcely in the original and I do remember getting blown to bits very fast if not careful (*Opens door* *Death!* *Guy with shotgun behind the door laughs his butt off*).
Unfortunately that Gameplay-Video looked a bit more like this.

Vain

Mafia 2 is Official + screens
(171 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG