The online racing simulator
New Red Dwarf
(32 posts, started )
Oh man, i have all three episodes sitting in my planner waiting to be watched (far too busy over the weekend), and now i'm not so sure i should bother. Was really looking forward to them too...
Quote from GFresh :Oh man, i have all three episodes sitting in my planner waiting to be watched (far too busy over the weekend), and now i'm not so sure i should bother. Was really looking forward to them too...

Do bother, it's not that bad at all.
RD was never the same after Rob Grant and Doug Naylor decided to part ways and write seperately. The stuff they wrote together was always way funnier than the stuff they wrote by themselves.

I thought there were a handful of funny moments in the three new episodes, but back in the day we got a handful of funny moments in the first 5 minutes of each show.

It wasn't bad per se, just disappointing. It's just not funny when you can see the jokes coming from a mile off.
The problem they had was that the actors did so much green screen they didn't have much of a frame of reference, and it showed.

RD has always been a bit corny at times, but the writing certainly was weeker than in the past.

None the less I enjoyed it.

It is all too easy to remember classics of old too fondly, and nothing can compete against my memory of the sausage taking up 75% of the worlds surface sketch when Holly did an April fools windup on Lister well before April on account of it being too good to wait until April with... One of only two moments i've literally been on the floor with laughter in TV history (the other being the batman and robbin sketch on Only Fools and Horses).

This is the thing though, it's competing against a memory, against an IDEAL. It would be unfair to judge the new mini-series against an idealised version of Red Dwarf from old.

Having said that, yes it would be nice to see RD back at the Beeb with a proper budget with a lot less green screen and some good writers.
it sucked...big time!

saying that, i thought the last series wasnt that good either.

not enough rimmer and that bloody annoying woman!

for me it peaked when they had starbug and was searching for RD itself.

some of those episodes rocked......listers arranged marrige,rimmer world, and the sirens.

i watched the 1st new episode and about 3/4's of part two, and then gave up.

imo , that link to the clip on youtube was the best episode.

"whats dead and dead and dead all over? YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!"

pure class.
It wasn't truly bad IMO, but it was very weak, although that doesn't mean there weren't a few good jokes here and there. I did laugh a few times. They reminded me the most of the first series, unfortunately the weaker sides of it as well as the general style.
Just got my box-set of the ENTIRE RD collection today...All 8 series on 10 DVD'd, in a really tasty box... (This one!)

Not bad for under £40

New Red Dwarf
(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG