The online racing simulator
Racing wheel upgrade
(7 posts, started )
#1 - Aahz
Racing wheel upgrade
Hola!

So, I've been playing LFS for over a year now, about 3/4th's of it on the demo version, and 1/4th on the registered version. I enjoy the game immensely, as it is much more realistic than what I've ever played before. I'm a diehard racing fan, starting all the way with Need For Speed 1(!).

Right, praise talk aside, the game is bloody hard to drive with a joystick! I currently use a dual analog setup, with a half-decent joystick from Saitek. That sucker doesn't even have FF on it However, the joystick was alright for a quick one hour spin every day, and I had fun with the game, usually staying about 1 or 2 seconds behind competition. I got my record with the Gti on blackwood down to 1:34:7x, but I've hit a big stomp now, as I find the joystick really lacking when it comes to precision detail. It's exactly the situation when you want to land a wee bit away from the grass, but due to inaccuracy of the controller I end up in the wall

So, after one year of LFS and the fact that I truly like this game, I've decided to upgrade to a racing wheel. Going to the local electronics store didn't bring much luck, for all they had were Saitek's R220 and R440 models, neither of which impressed me. I turned to ebay. And I found this baby. It's made by Thrustmaster, which I trust well enough, because I own a plane joystick by them, which survived about 4 years of carnage. Stick the Ferrari logo on it, too, and I can't really ask for more as far as brand credibility goes. The wheel got good reviews as far as quality/precision goes, the only problem being the pedals sliding all over the place. Since I mod computers and stuff every now and then, I'm sure I'll figure something out for that

The price seems to be alright,too. I hope to get it off ebay for around 30 euros, new and with a couple of games to come with it. Has any of you had any experience with this wheel, or perhaps a few tips when looking at wheels?

Sorry for my long'ish monologue, but I needed to put my thoughts on paper, and hopefully get some feedback from the veterans of LFS

Cheers,

Aahz.
Realy i would go only for Logitech Driving Force Pro, yes it got small issues but when you try it, you won't be able to drive on anything else. Just because i haven't seen second wheel on market like this (with 900 degrees of turn). Every other wheel have maybe max 270 degrees, and i promise you that after trying DFP, there won't be coming back to some crap. Sometimes you will be thinkin thats its too much, but having too much is better then having not enough....
Grumpy old man hat on.
How many more threads are there to be about 'which bloody wheel should I buy?' There must be eighty of them! Read the forum for Pete's sake!
Grumpy old man hat off.
Quote from Doorman :Grumpy old man hat on.
How many more threads are there to be about 'which bloody wheel should I buy?' There must be eighty of them! Read the forum for Pete's sake!
Grumpy old man hat off.

Fair point my man. I started a couple of them myself I think.

*EDiT* - Buy a DFP rev.B
#5 - L56
DFP, there's no other sensible choice at this point in time!

L56 Out...
#6 - ajp71
Quote from L56 :DFP, there's no other sensible choice at this point in time!

Yes there are:

If you're cash struck then you can probably find a Logitech FF GP (which does the job but is not in the same league as the DFP).

Both the old red and new Logitech Momos are highly rated and if you can find one the old red is supposed to be a lot better than the current crop of budget wheels.

Having said that I did go for a DFP and it is excellent. Pedals are crap but a squash ball can slip in without opening them up and invalidating the warranty
And my squashball slid out again mid-corner, sending myself and others spinning all over the place. Sorry guys.

Racing wheel upgrade
(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG