The online racing simulator
How does safety car work?
(13 posts, started )
#1 - majod
I would like to ask how does a safety car procedure work during real race.

I can see, that safety car leaves pits and everyone behind it must slow down. But what about cars which are in front of safety car? Are they supposed to slow down too (sign with radio/LED on wheel) or they will just make another lap and row after that ?

what exactly is that procedure of deploying safety car?
All the people who are 1 lap behind the leaders get to pass and rejoin at the back of the pace car. The real leaders need to stay where they are
I hope this helped!
#3 - J@tko
When the safety car is deployed, it will pick up the leader of the race [unless in severe circumstances where it will pick up the first car it can]. The cars behind the leader now form a "train" behind it at reduced speed, no overtaking allowed. When the reason for the SC has been cleared, [and sometimes when the rest of the pack has caught up to the "train"] then the "green flag" is shown, when the SC pulls into the pits and racing starts again. Typically, overtaking is not permitted until the car has crossed the S/F line.

In some racing series [particuarly oval], when the cars are in the train behind the SC, the first car to be a lap down is let past the leaders, does a lap and joins the back of the train. This is called "lucky dog".

EDIT: Vinny I don't know what racing series you watch...
#4 - DeKo
Quote from J@tko :When the safety car is deployed, it will pick up the leader of the race [unless in severe circumstances where it will pick up the first car it can]. The cars behind the leader now form a "train" behind it at reduced speed, no overtaking allowed. When the reason for the SC has been cleared, [and sometimes when the rest of the pack has caught up to the "train"] then the "green flag" is shown, when the SC pulls into the pits and racing starts again. Typically, overtaking is not permitted until the car has crossed the S/F line.

In some racing series [particuarly oval], when the cars are in the train behind the SC, the first car to be a lap down is let past the leaders, does a lap and joins the back of the train. This is called "lucky dog".

lapped cars are allowed to pass and regain a lap in F1 at Charlie Whitings discretion.
Quote from J@tko :When the safety car is deployed, it will pick up the leader of the race [unless in severe circumstances where it will pick up the first car it can]. The cars behind the leader now form a "train" behind it at reduced speed, no overtaking allowed. When the reason for the SC has been cleared, [and sometimes when the rest of the pack has caught up to the "train"] then the "green flag" is shown, when the SC pulls into the pits and racing starts again. Typically, overtaking is not permitted until the car has crossed the S/F line.

The new standardised for 2009 MSA rules: http://www.flag-marshal.org.uk/safety_car_rules.htm - the first car the SC appears in front of is always picked up, the whole point being to neutralise the race for the safety of competitors and marshals!
#6 - amp88
The absolute rules depend on the series and the circumstances of the deployment. The following rules are generally true:

1. The safety car is deployed when the race director deems the track is in such a condition where driver/team/spectator safety is in danger. This can be due to a number of circumstances (e.g. car(s) stranded on track/cars blocking track/adverse weather conditions/spectators or animals on track etc). At the same time as the safety car is deployed the marshals at all points round the track should display a board notifying the drivers the safety car is going onto the track (usually SC).
2. The safety car leaves the pit lane and joins the track. Drivers on track must NOT overtake the safety car unless they are signalled to do so. This can be done using flashing lights, hand signals or any other means. Drivers are also prohibited from overtaking other drivers unless they are given the signal to do so.
3. The race director will inform the crew in the safety car (usually a driver and a radio operator) which car number is supposed to be directly behind them. This is usually the race leader but may be someone different (if, for example, the race leader pitted just before or just as the safety car was deployed).
4. If necessary drivers behind the safety car will be signalled to pass (as per point 2) until the safety car has the correct car behind it.
5. When the race director deems the track is safe to continue racing he will contact the crew in the safety car and inform them of this decision. They will indicate to the drivers behind of their intention to leave the track (usually by turning out any flashing lights on the car). This notification allows the drivers to prepare for the restart.
6. The safety car drives back into the pitlane to assume its waiting position. When it leaves the track the driver who was immediately behind it assumed the role of safety car and must lead the field round to the start/finish line. This is usually done at a reduced pace and there may be rules which prohibit this driver from making sudden moves (such as accelerating and braking to try and gain a significant advantage at the restart). There may also be rules which state each driver in the pack has to stay within a certain distance from the car infront.
7. When the leader passes the start/finish line the race is restarted and cars are allowed to pass.

Now, as I said before there are specific rules for most series. Some of these are subtle and some are a little more obvious. In F1, for example, cars in the 'snake' behind the safety car which are lapped may be allowed to unlap themselves (by overtaking any cars infront of them and the safety car to drive around for a lap and rejoin the back of the pack).

If you want to know the rules for a specific series you should try visiting the site for the series.
#7 - bbman
When the safety car is deployed, it's a full-course yellow already, so who wasn't picked up yet is obviously slowing down until they too are behind the SC-train... They a.) can only get a penalty, but no place in such a situation, and b.) SC means the track isn't raceable, so there's bound to be an obstacle of some sort on the track, permitting going fast anyway...
Quote from J@tko :

Uhhhmm..
It's called Formula 1?
#9 - amp88
Quote from bbman :When the safety car is deployed, it's a full-course yellow already, so who wasn't picked up yet is obviously slowing down until they too are behind the SC-train... They a.) can only get a penalty, but no place in such a situation, and b.) SC means the track isn't raceable, so there's bound to be an obstacle of some sort on the track, permitting going fast anyway...

Not necessarily. It used to be the case in NASCAR that drivers would race back around to the start/finish line when under full course yellow. There can also be losses involved in driving slowly to pick up the tail of the field. For example, if the safety car and 10 cars it has picked up are approximately halfway around the lap and you are just about to complete the lap before (i.e. you're just over half a lap behind them) if you go slowly you could be overtaken by someone coming out of the end of the pitlane. It's a good idea to drive fairly quickly until you pick up the chain of cars (where safe, of course...you can't drive round at 8/10 if there's a torrential downpour).
in F1 the purpose of the safety car is to screw up the pit strategy of whichever team the FIA doesn't want to win that day.
Thanks a lot, I appreciate the help of all of you
Quote from evilgeek :in F1 the purpose of the safety car is to screw up the pit strategy of whichever team the FIA doesn't want to win that day.

I would have quoted that on my sig if I had enough place.

(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG