The online racing simulator
LFS LAN Server - Wrong IP
(15 posts, started )
I have set up three computers in LAN, I want two of them to be able to play a local game. All computers can already connect each other and I can access and play files from the others computers (and vice-versa). Everything on the network works perfectly (internet, printers, etc). The two computers have all permissions necessary (Windows 7) and both are running LFS patch 0.5Z10 unlocked S2 with my account. I've set up a LAN server on LFS with IP set as "auto", but none of the current IPs I have work with LFS to make the client connect to the server.

I'm using Windows Firewall and LFS is allowed to use local network in both computers (and they work to play online too).

I know there must be a specific LAN IP range for LFS, but I don't have that IP, and I don't know how to change/add a IP. Could someone please help?

I searched for this but none of the threads solved my problem, and most of them were older than 2007.
Attached images
PC 1 host.jpg
PC 2 client.jpg
If both PC's are connected to same router, change those IP's to 192.168.123.1 and 192.168.123.2 for time you want to play LFS.
How?

The first PC receives internet connection and transmits it to the others via HUB, which is also how they are connected to each other.
#4 - majod
first of all sell(for $1) your hub and buy a switch and to what IP are you connecting from PC 2 - client if you don't know what IPs do you have?

To check your IP address, simply run command prompt (start - run - cmd) and type "ipconfig". There check what IPs do you have on your computers. You can change your IPs in network adapter properties under TCP/IP protocol. For 3 PCs you can use 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.3 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0
First of all, thanks for the help.
Well, I already knew my IP, but didn't know how to change it.
I went to the TCP/IP protocol and changed my IP to 192.168.0.1. Internet connection stopped working and my PC lost contact with the other computers on the network. Windows 7 automatically started a connection problems troubleshoot and restored previous settings, which made everything work again, except that LFS won't accept my IP.

Is there a solution?
#6 - Byku
What is Your ip? If I know correctly, LFS accepts only those typical LAN ip, 192. something something .
#7 - majod
Quote from Velociround :First of all, thanks for the help.
Well, I already knew my IP, but didn't know how to change it.
I went to the TCP/IP protocol and changed my IP to 192.168.0.1. Internet connection stopped working and my PC lost contact with the other computers on the network. Windows 7 automatically started a connection problems troubleshoot and restored previous settings, which made everything work again, except that LFS won't accept my IP.

Is there a solution?

oh so you're probably using DHCP protocol on your LAN. so check your IPs in ipconfig, running LFS on LAN server is allowed only on IPs 192.168.x.y, 172.16-32.x.y and 10.x.y.z.
You could tell what exactly IPs you have on each computer. Most important addresses are IP address and subnet mask
My IP when I posted the the thread was 189.xxx.xx.xxx if I'm not mistaken, and my current IP is 201.73.xx.xx
Subnet mask seems to be always 255.255.255.0
So are both PC's connected to same router?
Those addresses are not internal (LAN) addresses at all. Probably all your PCs are directly accessible through the Internet, that means all of them have their own external IP. Or you have your DHCP server set very incorrectly. If you have access to your router/dhcp server, you should change its settings. (your router is the "default gateway")

with those IPs you provided you can not make a LAN game inside LFS.
As majod said, you should set your DHCP to assign only addresses in the private ranges
  • 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
  • 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
  • 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255 (de facto standard for home LANs)
Quote from Velociround :My IP when I posted the the thread was 189.xxx.xx.xxx if I'm not mistaken, and my current IP is 201.73.xx.xx

To confirm, those are indeed the IPs I see attached to your posts, so they are your external IPs, and not relevant to LAN gaming.
You should buy a home router to separate the Internet from your home network. Thus you will create home LAN, where you can play LFS and you can feel safe, because routers (with NAT/PAT) are natural firewalls. Home routers include switch, so you can get rid of that HUB, which are not in use from middle-ages (only in certain cases). HUB slows down your local network.
Thank you all, I understand it now. I have connection between all three computers and they can transfer files and everything, but I don't have a LAN because the IP of all computers is external. Looks like it's impossible to make a LAN server on LFS

I made a quick map of the network:

Some more information:

Everything set as "Obtain a IP adress automatically"

I like the router solution, and it would even increase security on the network, but is there a way to make a LFS LAN server without changing anything (that costs money$) on the network? I just wanted to play a bit, not remake the network and things here are really expensive, this HUB's cost me BRL $120 (USD $55), I don't know how much I'd have to spend on a router.
Attached images
Network Map.png
Connection Status.jpg
Connection properties.jpg
I don't quetly understand, why 3 PCs behind a modem have their own external IP. Your ISP provides strange services... if you just want to play, you can create your VPN using openVPN software. Probably you've met Hamachi - it is VPN too. It creates "LAN" between hosts, which actually are not in LAN.

OpenVPN has many advantages over silly Hamachi - it provides direct connection between computers, so probably you will be able to reach maximum LAN speeds between your PCs.

One of your PCs will be VPN server and others will connect to it. Everything using openVPN sofware and all communications are secured with SSL.

You can get it here http://www.openvpn.net/ and guide how to configure server/client is here http://majo-d.blogspot.com/

So if you configure your VPN to one of LAN IP addresses, you can connect to that IP in LFS

(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG