The online racing simulator
Chrome/alloy
(21 posts, started )
Chrome/alloy
Yep. I think we should have chrome-ish parts. For example, the wheels should be, well not actually chrome, but alloy.
I'm sure they are made from an alloy. A painted alloy. Probably an aluminium (aluminum for you hard of sight yankees) alloy.
Quote from tristancliffe :I'm sure they are made from an alloy. A painted alloy. Probably an aluminium (aluminum for you hard of sight yankees) alloy.

No, actually they are made out of chrome and painted.
Solid Chromium????
#5 - ajp71
LOL @ Tristan

Very few racing cars have alloy wheels and if we had alloy wheels it would drain graphics and mean that the colour selection couldn't be done. A really really bad suggestion IMO.
Quote from tristancliffe :Solid Chromium????

In 1761, Johann Gottlob Lehmann found an orange-red mineral in the Ural Mountains which he named Siberian red lead. Though misidentified as a lead compound with selenium and iron components, the material was in fact lead chromate with a formula of PbCrO4, now known as the mineral crocoite.
In 1770, Peter Simon Pallas visited the same site as Lehmann and found a red "lead" mineral that had very useful properties as a pigment in paints. The use of Siberian red lead as a paint pigment developed rapidly. A bright yellow made from crocoite became a color in fashion.
In 1797, Nicolas-Louis Vauquelin received samples of crocoite ore. He was able to produce chromium oxide with a chemical formula of CrO3, by mixing crocoite with hydrochloric acid. In 1798, Vauquelin discovered that he could isolate metallic chromium by heating the oxide in a charcoal oven. He was also able to detect traces of chromium in precious gemstones, such as ruby, or emerald.
During the 1800s chromium was primarily used as a component of paints and in tanning salts but now the primary use in is for metal alloys and is responsible for 85% of the use of chromium. The remainder is used in the chemical industry and refractory and foundry industries.
Chromium was named after the Greek word "chroma" meaning color, because of the many colorful compounds made from it.
Now not a lot of people know that.
Quote from ajp71 :Very few racing cars have

But regular cars do..... Youre just giving me a hard time because I am a demo user.
#9 - X-Ter
- Al Heeley -
I think that was this month most informative post. Keep it up please
#10 - MR_B
I like this idea, I think alot of cars these days lack that chrome touch. Yes it'd cause more graphics draining, but ya know....we all have to make sacrifices now and again :P

@ Al Heeley: Nice history lesson! Any more encyclopaedia copied info for us??? :P
Quote from ajp71 :Very few racing cars have alloy wheels

The wheels on my F3 car are an alloy. And F1 wheels are a titanium alloy. I would say that all car wheels made from metal are an alloy.

What I think has happened is that people have gradually lost focus, and actually believe that alloy is short for aluminium, whereas the correct abbreviation (not that abbreviations are to be encouraged) is ally.
My point is, I don't wanna have painted rims.
And the rest of the wheel

Can't you just make them silver (grey) like everyone else? Chrome ones just sap brain cells from the driver and make u tipe lyk dis man
Quote from ajp71 :Very few racing cars have alloy wheels and if we had alloy wheels it would drain graphics and mean that the colour selection couldn't be done. A really really bad suggestion IMO.

first of all are you sure you know exactly what alloy means ?
secondly iirc racing wheels are made of some kind of magnesium alloy
and last do you realise that the shimmering of aluminium wheels is silver metallic paint and not bare aluminium ? (which would turn into aluminium oxide in now time if the wheels werent painted) therefore colour selection is very well possible

Quote from wheel4hummer :My point is, I don't wanna have painted rims.

chrome wheels are also painted ... well sort of at least ... if im not mistaken theyre usually aluminium wheels with chome put on them in a galvanic process

and btw tristan ... or any other native speaker ... a lot of you seem to despise the word rim and prefer to use wheel ... i always thought the metal part was the rim ... the rubber part the tyre and the wheel ruber+metal and not just the metal
Quote from Shotglass :if im not mistaken theyre usually aluminium wheels with chome put on them in a galvanic process

Well, its actually almost any metal with copper, nickel, then chrome.
An alloy is a combination, either in solution or compound, of two or more elements, at least one of which is a metal, and where the resulting material has metallic properties. An alloy with two components is called a binary alloy; one with three is a ternary alloy; one with four is a quaternary alloy. The resulting metallic substance generally has properties significantly different from those of its components.

Alloys are usually designed to have properties that are more desirable than those of their components. For instance, steel is stronger than iron, one of its main elements.

Unlike pure metals, most alloys do not have a single melting point. Instead, they have a melting range in which the material is a mixture of solid and liquid phases. The temperature at which melting begins is called the solidus, and that at which melting is complete is called the liquidus. However, for most pairs of elements, there is a particular ratio which has a single melting point, and this is called a eutectic mixture.

In practice, some alloys are used so predominantly with respect to their base metals that the name of the primary constituent is also used as the name of the alloy. For example, 14 karat (58%) gold is an alloy of gold with other elements. Similarly, the silver used in jewelry and the aluminium used as a structural building material are also alloys.

The term "alloy" is sometimes used in everyday speech as a synonym for "aluminium alloy"; one example of such usage is the "alloy wheels" which might be fitted to an automobile. (This usage is obviously imprecise, since all steels and most other metals in practical use are also alloys.)

Too bad LFS can't make them a little tiny bit shinier... They do look flat and fake.. More like plastic than metal.. Oh well.

edit- wouldn't have to be chrome- even just a brushed or polished look would be cool.

these don't look bad--

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/7473/grab0006qx4yz.jpg

here's a good pic!!

Just kidding!!!!

But hey- I bet they could make them a little shinier just for kicks.
http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/3627/lfsscreen15dq.jpg

---- edit- actually those new reflection maps for LFS paired with dark rims gives a nice shiny gunmetal look... this was in the evening setting.. even does a great job making the paint shine more.

[Edit by Al Heeley] Please do not post so many large pics in one post as img links, it slows down the forum for many users. Thx!
i thought that the wheels were shiney enough already, as the cars go past you get a little flash of a reflection as the light catches it, seems just right to me.

now brake dust, thats a good idea!
Quote from tristancliffe :...Chrome ones just sap brain cells from the driver and make u tipe lyk dis man

And another yellow card to add to Tristan's extensive collection for dangerous, but slightly amusing stereotyping!
Chrome wheels can be coloured. My cousin has a (50tha anniversary maybe?) Camaro with chrome rims that are tinted blue, and it's very noticable.
Sorry in my first post I carelessly used the term alloy to describe the shiny chrome type finishes often seen on road cars.

Of course most racing cars use alloy wheels and IMO a magnesium alloy is not only practical but can look very good when painted to match a car. It would also be a nice detail to see split rims if the current engine were to allow it without performance losses (but none of this fake split rim bollocks on road cars).

Chrome/alloy
(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG