The online racing simulator
Hot tire drifting
(20 posts, started )
Hot tire drifting
Does it really take practice? After about a 5/6 month quit due to a leg injury, I started drifting with the wheel, and noticed that I was easily getting alot of angle at 110deg+ and easily holding it... using the same set I've used for a long time.. I don't understand it. Before I skrewed my leg I couldn't drift with hot tires at all, but after the quit it all came easily? What the hell happened? lol... very odd.
Anyway... to the point of the thread... has anyone else done this? Just randomly started drifting and found it came easily?
#2 - garph
Beginners luck? The break from LFS just means you come into things fresh, no bad habits.....it could be a million and one things.

.....and you hurt your leg?
Hot tires physics sux, it's like driving on ice. However we have east asian language support and rotating brake discs.
Just practice.You'll learn when to release/floor it when driving on hot tires.It take a lot of practice to synchronize everything so you drift perfectly on a nice line.Could you explain that 110deg part?I don't see how you can hold a 110 degree drift easily unless you're using FXO.
Quote from CobraDrifter :Just practice.You'll learn when to release/floor it when driving on hot tires.It take a lot of practice to synchronize everything so you drift perfectly on a nice line.Could you explain that 110deg part?I don't see how you can hold a 110 degree drift easily unless you're using FXO.

XRT...
And I'm not quite sure. It isn't that I need help doing this, I just find it weird that the day I come back to LFS I can drift on hot tires easily.
I think I agree with what Garph said, I've probably just lost a lot of bad habits.
Quote from ponczak :hot tires physics sux, it's like driving on ice. However we have east asian language support and rotating brake discs.

lol :d
#7 - G!NhO
Quote from CobraDrifter :Just practice.You'll learn when to release/floor it when driving on hot tires.It take a lot of practice to synchronize everything so you drift perfectly on a nice line.Could you explain that 110deg part?I don't see how you can hold a 110 degree drift easily unless you're using FXO.

he means his tyres were 110 degrees and drifted with alot of angle...
i find it easier with XRT to drift on hotter tires than cold :S
Quote from Sueycide_FD :i find it easier with XRT to drift on hotter tires than cold :S

Hot tires physics is unrealsistic. What is the point of doing something unrealistic in a simulator? oO Just go play NFS with NAWZ or start drifting at cold/warm tires :S

:sadbanana
Quote from NathanRx-7 :Does it really take practice? After about a 5/6 month quit due to a leg injury, I started drifting with the wheel, and noticed that I was easily getting alot of angle at 110deg+ and easily holding it... using the same set I've used for a long time.. I don't understand it. Before I skrewed my leg I couldn't drift with hot tires at all, but after the quit it all came easily? What the hell happened? lol... very odd.
Anyway... to the point of the thread... has anyone else done this? Just randomly started drifting and found it came easily?

I like drifting on really hot tyres. In actual fact I drift best on really hot tyres.. although not at the wierd angles you state, more like 25-35. 110 is over a quarter of a circle so you'd be going backwards. It's harder to hold than on normal tyres, though. That's the price you pay for loads of smoke.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I like drifting on really hot tyres. In actual fact I drift best on really hot tyres.. although not at the wierd angles you state, more like 25-35. 110 is over a quarter of a circle so you'd be going backwards. It's harder to hold than on normal tyres, though. That's the price you pay for loads of smoke.

No no, 110 degrees tire temp... Not angle LOL
Oh.. :hide:

Ehm lol.. >.<
Quote from Sueycide_FD :i find it easier with XRT to drift on hotter tires than cold :S

For me, 70-100 Degrees is best. 110 is also ok but when we come to 120 it's hard to come in the same speed into corners. At 130 I have to go slower but I get more angle.
How can you say the hot tyres physics are unrealistic. If LFS states that the optimum working temp for a road tyre is (pulling this outta my head) 60degrees, then how can you expect a 130 degree tyre to work. Sure this might not reflect real life performance drop off but with so many variables to take into consideration; Scrub, wear, temp, road surface, car setup, car dynamics, load transfer, contact patch, driver behaviour, angle of attack, how can you expect LFS to manage the simulation of exactly the physics involved that are so astronomically complicated that those in the real world don't have all the answers.

And what about real life drifters. I can't see their tyres lasting very long. I have no idea how long drifters can drift for but i can't see 'endurance' drifting working somehow.
Tyres Don't last that long with a high powered car when it comes to drifting, the driftworks car was using a set every 3 or so laps at a practice day and the lap was around 20 to 30 seconds.

The physics arn't great though, tyres retain a bit more grip than you get on hot xrt tyres imo.

Edit, Dw car is 666bhp
Also,with hot tires in real life,a could of smoke is not following you when going straight
Quote from CobraDrifter :Also,with hot tires in real life,a could of smoke is not following you when going straight

haha +1, this is very realistic thing in LFS
You see, even in real life drifting does not make for more than a minute and half's worth of fun before being shredded to death.

Although I do have the ideal solution to save your high temperature tyre problems . . . . . Straight lines between corners. Works wonders.
Quote from Funnybear :You see, even in real life drifting does not make for more than a minute and half's worth of fun before being shredded to death.

Although I do have the ideal solution to save your high temperature tyre problems . . . . . Straight lines between corners. Works wonders.

or you could keep your useless solutions to yourself.

Hot tire drifting
(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG