The online racing simulator
Religion
(166 posts, started )
Quote from Joe_Keaveney :I've always wanted to know - if he/she/it 'did' exist, would God want us to worship him/her/it? Seems a bit self-centred to me I'm sure a benevolent God would just want you to get on with your own life.

Exactly. If a deity demands worship then it has an ego and is therefore not perfect.
If a deity requires worship to exist (as anthropomorphic personifications tend to), it is not all-powerful and in fact the people control it. Think about it.

Religion isn't a problem. Fanatical religious people are. It's not about what it actually says as much as it is how people interpret it, and that's what causes wars.
-
(D.Zanetti) DELETED by D.Zanetti : changed opinion
Could God create a stone so heavy he can't pick it up?
I'm a pastafarian.

Hmm, pasta :yummy:
All hail me. I am the great Messiah of the Sun.

To prove my superhuman abilities, I foretell you all that this thread will turn into a furious debate of multiple pages and end up locked by a moderator.

Now kneel.
Quote from (SaM) :All hail me. I am the great Messiah of the Sun.

To prove my superhuman abilities, I foretell you all that this thread will turn into a furious debate of multiple pages and end up locked by a moderator.

Now kneel.

:iagree:

ok... i belive in scavier. i belive they will make everything (ingame) perfect. i belive they are the best (game) creators of this world. and that they(r simulator) is unbeatable. i belive even the devil can´t stop them (from devoloping this wonderfull simulator).

wow i never thougt i would belive in thrinity

Edit: and the reason why they didn´t release the scirocco yet, is because they are in they´r 7th day of creation (in they´r rest day)
I'm guessing that reason why people turn into religions is that they want to find answers that they can understand. Most scientific research goes way over average Joe's head and he'd rather accept that "God did it". Same thing goes for concept of death which is really difficult to twist your head around, it's easier to believe in some kind of afterlife than accept "the end" where your thought process stops as brain dies and that's it.

In modern society religion shouldn't really play any major role, kinda like horoscopes are there just to entertain people. You shouldn't use mix religion into decision making or you'll lose all credibility, kinda like scientist trying to prove a new theory that was told by purple cloud people he saw after smoking crack. Too bad that happens way too often and it is an embarrasment for so-called "advanced civilization".

Quote from 5haz :Religion makes some people want to be good.

For others it's also a very conveniant excuse to go bomb some villages and shoot people.

Problem what you're also proving here is that it also skews your perspective by teaching that "following our religion faithfully you'll be a good person unlike those others". Catholics do not really have that whole martyr thing, but their religious groups have been trying to work against scientific research as long as they've existed and some individuals even refuse to use modern medicines and treatments even if they are seriously sick.

Everything should be taken in moderation, especially if person is psyhcopath who likes shooting stuff.
Quote from (SaM) :All hail me. I am the great Messiah of the Sun.

Now kneel.

That would, on a small scale, prove that all religion is good for is warfare.
Quote from TagForce :That would, on a small scale, prove that all religion is good for is warfare.

Well.. yea.
kneel pls?
Quote from Joe_Keaveney :I'm agnostic also, you can't prove to me that God exists, but at the same time I can't prove to you that he/she/it doesn't exist. So we're stuck

In fact I can't even prove that peter pan doesn't exist
Not sure it's quite a good time to be a proud catholic, when the pope has been almost unanimously criticized for his statements about condoms not being a solution to the AIDS problem.

It's just a small episode to show what happens when an arbitrary system of beliefs (i.e. with no meaningful relationship to real practical life) is applied in an inflexible way.

To say it all, I'm quite skeptical of all organized religions as they tend to develop in a system of power with its own agenda, which at the same time dodges the limitations that are usually imposed to such organizations when they have a non-religious nature.

Quote from Dajmin :I have been tempted by Space Bat, but I remain a faithful Pastafarian.
It helps fight global warming, what with all the pirates.

Very well spoken
Quote from Crommi :I'm guessing that reason why people turn into religions is that they want to find answers that they can understand.

Having blind faith in something that there is absolutely no evidence for is not "understanding" anything.
Well, seems we have a lot of not-so-funny-but-still-a-bit-funny 'religions' here.

Becky, I'm all for your opinions, and as that one guy said, I wasn't trying to brainwash anyone.

To NightShift: you wouldn't understand, I don't too actually, but there's just something in scriptures that say something about contraception. Plus, being a 'temporary' Catholic is not Catholic at all. If you've got a religion, you ought to follow it everytime, not during times of hardship.

Seems I've caused quite a stirrup here..
My mistake, I'm not long here enough to realize that, and thought a smiley would do something...
Quote from only.one.RydeR :To NightShift: you wouldn't understand, I don't too actually, but there's just something in scriptures that say something about contraception. Plus, being a 'temporary' Catholic is not Catholic at all. If you've got a religion, you ought to follow it everytime, not during times of hardship.

If you'll allow a heathen to explain your bible for you, it is because the bible masogonistically believes that the seed of life is in mans semen, and has nothing at all to do with women. It was the believe of it's authors (clearly not God who you'd expect to have some knowledge of Human plumbing) that the seed of life was contained within the semen and transfered into the woman to nurture it for life to form.

Consequently the bible authors also believed that wasting life by spilling semen was murdering. This is why catholics are not allowed to masturbate, and why condoms are considered heresy.

The fact that that semen ent gonna pop out into a young paritioner anytime soon without an egg was sadly lost on the bards of the arabic trade caravans who spread the stories by means of Chinese wisper before some idiot wrote them down and called it's Gods work seems to have been overlooked.
Quote from The Moose :Having blind faith in something that there is absolutely no evidence for is not "understanding" anything.

He probably mistyped can't as can. Then we both agree.

Quote from Crommi :I'm guessing that reason why people turn into religions is that they want to find answers that they can't understand.

Quote from Becky Rose :If you'll allow a heathen to explain your bible for you, it is because the bible masogonistically believes that the seed of life is in mans semen, and has nothing at all to do with women. It was the believe of it's authors (clearly not God who you'd expect to have some knowledge of Human plumbing) that the seed of life was contained within the semen and transfered into the woman to nurture it for life to form.

Consequently the bible authors also believed that wasting life by spilling semen was murdering. This is why catholics are not allowed to masturbate, and why condoms are considered heresy.

The fact that that semen ent gonna pop out into a young paritioner anytime soon without an egg was sadly lost on the bards of the arabic trade caravans who spread the stories by means of Chinese wisper before some idiot wrote them down and called it's Gods work seems to have been overlooked.

I'm very intrigued as to why you are telling me that.
Quote :I'm very intrigued as to why you are telling me that.

Because you said you did not understand your holy book regarding the subject of contraception.

Quote from only.one.RydeR :you wouldn't understand, I don't too actually, but there's just something in scriptures that say something about contraception.

So I explained it. The spilling of a mans semen is murder under Catholism, because it is deemed to contain the seed of life.

That's what it says.
Our family is listed as Evangelical Lutheran Christian, as like most of Finns are.

But lets just say I'm an open minded atheist.
#47 - SamH
One man's science is another man's religion. Anything that you believe, without seeking personal/individual proof, is expressly religious. We're all religious, to some extent or another.

What tickles me most is how so many people that think they're rejecting religion and choosing science instead, are placing exactly as much faith in unproven science as any religious person places in their faith. Everybody takes the majority of the things we're told to be true as truth.

The only major difference is that the religious believe the words of the preacher and the scientific take the word of the "scientist". Neither requires any less leap of faith.. we don't HAVE time in our lives to seek proof for everything scientific we believe in.

I love how the contemporary "scientific" thinkers scoff at religion. Arrogance much.
#48 - 5haz
Well, I've never seen a man walk on water or a few loaves of bread and some fish feed 5,000 people, which makes the bible story at least, seem a bit implausible.
Quote from 5haz :Well, I've never seen a man walk on water or a few loaves of bread and some fish feed 5,000 people, which makes the bible story at least, seem a bit implausible.

Where's the Mythbusters when we need them! I'll call them right away!
Religion confuses me. People become religious so they can maybe become a better person, from the teachings of the bible and stuff... but then they (a large portion at least) are quick to point out the faults of others, like gay people or those with conflicting beliefs. I think it just clouds your view of whats really out there and leads to irrational judgements.

Religion
(166 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG