The online racing simulator
Car giving me static shocks!
(32 posts, started )
Just recently, over the past week or so, my car keeps giving me static shocks for some reason. These arent just little shocks every time though, some of them are bastard big zaps that hurt like hell!

I am led to believe that warmer weather can cause this, and as it has been t-shirt weather over the last few days over here, im inclined to believe that this is the reason.

Does anyone now what i can do to stop this from happening, as i am having to shut my door by pushing the window, which does stop the shocks from happening, but is starting to cause finger marks on the window, which is annoying for me, as one of my pet hates is smears and marks on glass for some reason, i have no idea why, but it just really bugs the hell outta me!
Happens sometimes, not really sure why. Perhaps get one of those earth straps that some cars have.
right on
every sonce in a while some cars develop this more than others...a wire hanging or dryness in the air and lots of 'staticky' type stuff in the car, so the charge build up on you and when you leave the car POP...
the ground strap is for real and i have seen lots of the older steel type cars all have them, not so much the newr platic bumper types
get some of them rubber things old cars have hanging off the rear bumper to help ground it lol
Quote from trebor901 :get some of them stupid rubber things old cars have hanging off the rear bumper to help ground it lol

Don't do it! They are owned exclusively by knobs, sunday drivers, and the elderly. Either be a man and take it, or close your door by the handle
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Don't do it! They are owned exclusively by knobs, sunday drivers, and the elderly. Either be a man and take it, or close your door by the handle

yep mostly old women who have Fiat Uno's or Austin Allegro's lol
#7 - bbman
You checked that the wires are still properly isolated and aren't touching the shell?
Quote from bbman :You checked that the wires are still properly isolated and aren't touching the shell?

Well as far as i know they are all ok, but aside from picking the entire wiring loom apart to find every single earth wire, i guess i wouldnt know anyway.
Get your girlfriend to open the door for you.
Cheers alien, her words were 'no chance!' so not an option unfortunately.
The car hates you and is slowly and surely trying to kill you.
Quote from danthebangerboy :Cheers alien, her words were 'no chance!' so not an option unfortunately.

Ach well just bin her and get one that will
Slightly related, I keep getting static from my cat these last days
Electrocat FTW !!!!
if your getting static shocks from your car then it is advised u stay away from petrol stations untill the problem is fixed.... is your negative lead from battery to chassis still connected ? fine dust could be the problem try a motor and engine bay wash or clean up
#17 - 5haz
Air passing over car rips positive elctrons off the car, cauisng a build up of negative static electricity, which then flows between your hand and the car.

Fear not.
Quote from Supaheli :if your getting static shocks from your car then it is advised u stay away from petrol stations untill the problem is fixed.... is your negative lead from battery to chassis still connected ? fine dust could be the problem try a motor and engine bay wash or clean up

i was just going to say that
ive seen loads of videos of fires from static lighting up gas
It's the humidity in the air simple as that.
If you're going for a rubber band but put it up front and under the car so it's not visible from miles. I did it to my car and you cant see it. Done with static shocks. :P
Quote from AlienT. :It's the humidity in the air simple as that.

Only if the humidity is too low, because the higher the humidity, the more eletrons "the air" will absorve thus someone is less likely to receive a static shock
maybe a dude from woking secretlu installed a KERS in your car and he forgot to tell you to wear rubber gloves ????
Living in the desert I get this all the time. The key is to grab the top of the doorframe after you open it, before your ass leaves the seat. Then your foot grounds you when you step out.
Its actualy realy simple why it happens, you are actualy the one being charged, either you are moving around in the seat, or your clothes are rubbing creating a static charge. When you touch the door you ground out and then ZAP, you get a shock.

My old Ford E-150 used to do that all the time, I'd go to get out and I'd touch the door handel on the inside and get a shock. Sometimes my 6.5L turbo diesel does it too.

Generaly this will happen more often in lower humidity conditions because there is less moister to disipate the charge to the nearest ground.

(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG