The online racing simulator
http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.j ... ions%20nearing%20sign-off

Apparently no turbo after all... but it's not totally out of the question.

Quote :27/2/09
WRC technical regulations nearing sign-off

At its next meeting on 17 March, the FIA World Motor Sports Council is expected to approve new turbo-free technical regulations for future World Rally Cars.

The FIA has the final say on the specification of the next generation of World Rally Cars, and is thought likely to give the go-ahead for a Super 2000 based vehicle fitted with a conversion kit.

But while earlier proposals for the WRC conversion included performance upgrades like a turbocharger and gearbox modifications, the actual kit is most likely to consist of bodywork components only.

The CEO of World Rally Championship promoters, ISC, Simon Long told wrc.com that the regulations would ensure the new WRC cars would stand out: “The WRC technical regulations are the domain of the FIA, however since the recent decision by the FIA to appoint ISC as the Championship promoter, we have been invited to give our view on the future WRC car from a marketing and promotional perspective.

“We believe World Rally Cars deserve a unique place in the pyramid of motorsport. As a world championship it is important that WRC stands out from the crowd. Part of our role as promoter is to accentuate the unique aspects of our sport in a highly competitive environment. What we’re looking for is a distinctive WRC car, and how it looks is an important part of the DNA of the championship.

“The new World Rally Car technical regulations, which are still subject to the World Motor Sport Council approval, foresee a Super 2000 base, which is likely to be fitted with aerodynamic kit to differentiate it from other cars in rallying. The WRC cars should be the ones that rally fans the world over most want to see and follow.”

The idea of turbocharging the Super 2000 engine remains on the table for future discussion.

“We recognise that right now, given the challenging economic climate, we need to offer every possible incentive for manufacturers and customer teams to enter the championship - and that’s all about keeping costs down as low as possible, as well as driving up the value that WRC can deliver” explained Long. “The Super 2000 plus kit, if adopted, is designed to deliver exactly that; lower costs of entry, with real confidence that technical regulations are in place which are sensible and avoid any risk of excessive development expenditure.”

In the future Long revealed that turbocharged engines, of a smaller capacity (most likely 1600cc) might be the way forward. “Turbos are certainly not out of the picture,” he said. “Right now we need the best short term remedy to bring in new manufacturers. We recognise that the industry as a whole is moving towards smaller more energy efficient engines and a turbo is inevitably a part of that.”

How much HP were looking at, i dont mind if they have a little rev on them.
280hp for an S2000 touring car, presumably the engine rules are the same between the two.
Quote from duke_toaster :280hp for an S2000 touring car, presumably the engine rules are the same between the two.

Its not that much lower, but im guessing it will lack a huge amount of torque on the last version.
Quote from Mustafur :Its not that much lower, but im guessing it will lack a huge amount of torque on the last version.

Yup. A lot less torque. Torque is the biggest down-side to S2000 rally cars.

Power is around 270-280BHP, but torque is only around 250-270Nm. Furthermore, it peaks very late in the curve, almost as late as peak power at circa 7000rpm.

Drivers will need to work extra hard to keep their engines on song. WRC cars had very flat curves, not so with S2000.
hmm. how dull. bloody safety nazi's making everything slower
It's not safety nazis - if it does have a safety effect it will be beneficial. Action would have been taken if a driver was killed in a crash - but a co-driver? No, no action.

Cost cutting is another major part of this - get a Super 2000 car, tape on some extra bodywork, go.
Quote from S3ANPukekoh3 :lol I couldnt really give a shit about rally TBH but yeah I meant lately... Why would they make the change NOW? Not 2 years ago... there hasn't been a fatal accedent for over 3 years, hundreds of people die in car crashes every day...

And thousands of people die in conflicts around of world, so who gives a shit about car accidents.
Quote :WORLD RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP

In 2010, cars eligible to score points in the Manufacturers’ Championship include the present and future World Rally Cars, and Super 2000 cars.

To reflect a need to further reduce and control costs, the proposed technical regulations for the future World Rally Car have been amended.

For the 2011 and 2012 Championships, the World Rally Car will be based on Super 2000 with the addition of a specified kit restricted to modifications to the bodywork, being removable aerodynamic devices. The car will be subject to specific technical regulations intended to control costs through restrictions on the changing of engines, transmissions and similar components. The maximum 8,500rpm for the engine will be maintained for all World Rally Championship and S2000 cars.

Present World Rally Cars will not be eligible for the Championship from 2011.

From 2013, it is proposed that the World Rally Car will continue to be Super 2000 based with a cost-effective 1.6 litre turbo engine. This is subject to review, based on the specification of the car produced by manufacturers for the mass market.

http://fia.com/en-GB/mediacent ... 09/Pages/wmsc_170309.aspx

So lifetime of current WRC cars is extended to 2010... I understand this that way, because it does not say that performance of current WRC cars would leveled to match the new S2000 cars.
So are are the manufactuers forced to make a S2000 spec production car?

If so, this is sounding alot better.
Quote from deggis :From 2013, it is proposed that the World Rally Car will continue to be Super 2000 based with a cost-effective 1.6 litre turbo engine. This is subject to review, based on the specification of the car produced by manufacturers for the mass market.

Eh? Wouldn't that be Super 1600, not Super 2000? Super 1600 Turbo, maybe.

Come to think of it, that sounds pretty cool, although I'd much rather have Super 2000 cars with turbos.

Quote from Mustafur :So are are the manufactuers forced to make a S2000 spec production car?

If so, this is sounding alot better.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

If you are asking whether manufacturers are required to produce STREET cars under S2000 specs, then the answer is "no".
It wouldn't be Super 1600 turbo, it would be Super 2000 chassis with 1600cc turbo engines, as Super 1600 chassis are different to Super 2000 chassis.
Quote from samjh :Eh? Wouldn't that be Super 1600, not Super 2000? Super 1600 Turbo, maybe.

Come to think of it, that sounds pretty cool, although I'd much rather have Super 2000 cars with turbos.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

If you are asking whether manufacturers are required to produce STREET cars under S2000 specs, then the answer is "no".

From 2013, it is proposed that the World Rally Car will continue to be Super 2000 based with a cost-effective 1.6 litre turbo engine. This is subject to review, based on the specification of the car produced by manufacturers for the mass market.

What do they mean by this.
They mean that the cars will be Super 2000 chassis with a 1600cc turbo engine. Not Super 1600 cars with a turbo gaffer taped on.
Quote from Mustafur :From 2013, it is proposed that the World Rally Car will continue to be Super 2000 based with a cost-effective 1.6 litre turbo engine. This is subject to review, based on the specification of the car produced by manufacturers for the mass market.

What do they mean by this.

1. World Rally Car will be based on existing mass-produced street cars.
2. The World Rally Car will be a Super 2000 car, except the engine will be a turbo-charged 1.6 litre.

S2000 and S1600 cars are based on production (ie. street) cars, much like how Group N cars are modified street cars. Super 1600/2000 cars are developed the same way - take a street car, strip it, replace the differentials (if necessary), stick a standard gearbox in, tune the engine, etc.
just one question, is Loeb really THAT good than the other drivers or is it just the C3 is that much better than the other cars?

i know this isn't related to the topic of this thread but this is the only active WRC thread on this forum and my question isn't worth a new thread.

thanks
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :just one question, is Loeb really THAT good than the other drivers or is it just the C3 is that much better than the other cars?

i know this isn't related to the topic of this thread but this is the only active WRC thread on this forum and my question isn't worth a new thread.

thanks

Well he was doing the same with the Xara so yeah he is.
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :just one question, is Loeb really THAT good than the other drivers or is it just the C3 is that much better than the other cars?

thanks

It's the C4, not C3.

Yes, he is indeed "that" good. He's quite an impressive all-rounder: WRC, Le Mans 24 hours, Race of Champions, F1 (testing), etc.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG