The online racing simulator
Yeah, you have missed a bit. I can't remember the links where I got the other info from. Might have been Autosport or WRC.com.

[EDIT]

I'm pretty sure it was WRC.com. They ran a 2 or 3-part analysis feature on the new regulations, but I can't find the archived articles on the site.

[EDIT2]

Ah, persistence!

Part One: http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.j ... he%20WRC%20-%20Part%20one

Part Two: http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.j ... he%20WRC%20-%20Part%20two

Latest press release: http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.j ... 0Car%20details%20revealed
Why are all sport governing bodies making the premier class of (whatever form of) racing slower, each and every year? It's the pincale of technological showcases, and the teams should have been left alone. That's the only bit I don't get, it wouldn't suprise me if some of the top privateer classes outside of the WRC have cars capable of faster stage times than the new S2000 class.

Although in WRC the Loeb winning every time was becoming boring.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Why are all sport governing bodies making the premier class of (whatever form of) racing slower, each and every year? It's the pincale of technological showcases, and the teams should have been left alone.

Well, they want to make them slower because of cost. Slower cars generally cost less than faster ones. And to make them slow, governing bodies try to reduce development.

F1 and WRC have manufacturer teams pumping many millions of dollars per annum into their development program. So much that in the case of WRC, there are only two true "works" teams left - the others have bailed because the returns weren't worth the investment. Regulators are trying to change that so cars cost much less to develop, therefore attracting more manufacturers (and privateers too).

With F1, the spending is so ridiculous that privateer teams don't stand a chance against the big budget factory teams like Ferrari, McLaren, et al. Top works teams are spending circa 400 million Euros per year, while minnow privateers are scraping by at 40 to 70 million Euros. As lame as it might sound, privateers need to be made more competitive for F1 to be more exciting, and that means cutting development costs. The global recession is also a big factor right now.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :That's the only bit I don't get, it wouldn't suprise me if some of the top privateer classes outside of the WRC have cars capable of faster stage times than the new S2000 class.

Well, some of the European Rallycross championship cars could give WRC cars a run for their money. But because they are privateers, their budgets are relatively small, unlike works teams in the WRC.
Quote from samjh :Yeah, you have missed a bit. I can't remember the links where I got the other info from. Might have been Autosport or WRC.com.

[EDIT]

I'm pretty sure it was WRC.com. They ran a 2 or 3-part analysis feature on the new regulations, but I can't find the archived articles on the site.

[EDIT2]

Ah, persistence!

Part One: http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.j ... he%20WRC%20-%20Part%20one

Part Two: http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.j ... he%20WRC%20-%20Part%20two

Latest press release: http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.j ... 0Car%20details%20revealed

Thanks.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Why are all sport governing bodies making the premier class of (whatever form of) racing slower, each and every year? It's the pincale of technological showcases, and the teams should have been left alone.

because without restriction, you will end up with effectively ekroplanes with some sort of wheel looking device pretending to be cars.

and cars are still getting faster every year, just not as fast if it is unlimited.
Quote from S3ANPukekoh3 :Maybe the FIA should just leave WRC and F1 the **** alone. If it ain't broke don't fix it

Mmhm, agreed.
FIA, FIA and FIA... you realize changes to technical regularions usually reflects what manufacturers have wanted or suggested? Many people are blaming FIA for the new F1 cost saving rules while most of those came straight from FOTA.
Quote from samjh :What are they?

Quote :They hover and skim above the water surface at speeds of up to 250 miles an hour, they carry heavier loads of cargo and troops than any airplane - the Ekranoplans, or "Wing-in-Ground" (WIG) vehicles are possibly the most exciting and strange looking technology ever designed by men.
Developed mostly by Soviets during Cold Wars years (by Rostislav Alexeev's design firm) some of them were over 500 feet in length and had an estimated weight of over 500 tons! And yet they skimmed over the waves with grace, at high speeds, able to negotiate stormy conditions, unseen by radar - all thanks to an aerodynamic principle known as the "ground effect".

Clickety Click
who thinks S2000 rallies are stupid boring and not unspectacular please watch (when you're european) the rallye monte-carlo, wich is an Intercontinental Rally Challenge Event this year I was stunned by today's third stage.
Quote from S3ANPukekoh3 :Maybe the FIA should just leave WRC and F1 the **** alone. If it ain't broke don't fix it

HAHA both motosports are pretty damn broken
and who broke them?
its combination of alot of things.

The economic downturn, Max Mosley, the turbulence coming off of modern F1 cars, the overall cost of both sports, ridiculous stewards, so on and so forth
I'm still waiting to see if it's all a massive flop...
Maybe someone realized that S2000 engines and bolt-on turbo kits do not work in real life
Can't really see the point of FIA running two S2000 rally series, WRC and IRC. Doesn't make sense to me if they wan't to make a large International series with plenty of cars and then run two smaller ones. If they deside to run S2000 in WRC I hope they bring back night stages like they do in IRC, or just merge them.
Quote from Blackout :Can't really see the point of FIA running two S2000 rally series, WRC and IRC. Doesn't make sense to me if they wan't to make a large International series with plenty of cars and then run two smaller ones.

IRC isn't ran by FIA, it's not a FIA championship. IRC uses FIA technical regulations etc. but that's it.
Quote from Huru-aito :IRC isn't ran by FIA, it's not a FIA championship. IRC uses FIA technical regulations etc. but that's it.

Quote from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercontinental_Rally_Challenge :The Intercontinental Rally Challenge (IRC) is a rallying series organised by the FIA, aiming to "give new opportunities to young or amateur rally drivers competing in recognized regional and international rallies, while offering organisers an innovative TV format concept, created by Eurosport.

http://www.ircseries.com/html/Sporting_Regulations.asp

Quote :1. PROMOTER, ORGANISER, ASN
1.1 The Intercontinental Rally Challenge (IRC) for drivers, co-drivers, teams and manufacturers is promoted and organised by SRW Ltd. is an international series subject to the FIA authorization as defined by article 24b of the FIA ISC.
1.2 The Challenge rounds will use the FIA Sporting and Technical Regulations that are applicable for each event.

Ah, well, my mistake relying on wiki over some vague memory I had...again.

Well, might be a death strike for IRC if they start running WRC with S2000 cars, which I hope they don't. IRC is rather fun to watch. They even have (or should have) Safari on the calendar, don't know what kind of sandy adventure version they do, but it's still Safari!! Mosley said drivers and the conditions make the excitement, well, IRC at least has some of the condition bits right at the moment. It just seems he would like to run series with minimal expenses and best profits, which I don't blame him for, but standard S2000 cars, come on. Kitted S2000 is still quite a lot less than the current WRC cars at the moment.

edit. ^ Ah, have they brought night stages back for this season? Missed 2008 quite well.
Quote from Blackout :edit. ^ Ah, have they brought night stages back for this season? Missed 2008 quite well.

I think Japan had night (not necessarily in night but in darkness anyway) stage(s) in 2007. Also Ireland had them already last year.
Ah well, I was looking forward the S2000+, but Mosley is right for once: drivers and conditions make for spectacular rallying, not just car specs.

If a World Rally Championship comprised of S2000 rally cars results in more competitors, tighter competition, and better sport overall, then go for it!

Keep in mind that people used to complain when Group B was banned and Group A became the mainstay, but Group A ended up being a good spec anyway.

But still, don't count your chickens before they hatch. Mosley might want straight S2000 cars, but the WMSC is still set on S2000+.
I'd just like to see a return to Rear Wheel Drive.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG