The online racing simulator
rfactor mods + tracks on ebay
(17 posts, started )
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayI ... QQtestZGadgetQ5fKWQQfviZ1

Do you think this guy is doing a good thing, or profiting from others? I know it is probably really handy for a majority of people, but at the end of the day he is profiting from intellectual property that isn't his. Just shows people can, and will (i can see at least 2 people that paid for it) sell anything
Quote from DejaVu :http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayI ... QQtestZGadgetQ5fKWQQfviZ1

Do you think this guy is doing a good thing, or profiting from others? I know it is probably really handy for a majority of people, but at the end of the day he is profiting from intellectual property that isn't his. Just shows people can, and will (i can see at least 2 people that paid for it) sell anything

If he made them, then why not. If he didnt make them then....
#3 - mr_x
I see the Corvette C6 on his car list... Didn't somebody from here have a hand in making that?
#4 - J@tko
Quote from mr_x :I see the Corvette C6 on his car list... Didn't somebody from here have a hand in making that?

Niels.
Well he certainly didn't make every one of those did he?
I'd be surprised if he got permission for it either.
And on top of that they're, in 99% of cases, unlicensed recreations of real world cars and tracks.

Either way, he shouldn't be selling them and I bet the modellers aren't happy. If the number of sales became large enough then neither would the real rights holders I imagine.
#6 - SamH
At £20, it's probably reasonable for him to sell this as a 4-pack DVD. He's not selling the content, he's technically selling his time in compiling the content. It definitely will have cost more in bandwidth and time to collect the mods and tracks than the £20 he's selling at. Although it looks rather suspicious on the face of it, I don't think he's actually doing anything wrong.

Imagine if, instead of buying the DVDs, someone contacted him and said "I'm useless with t'internet, and I don't know what's good to download. Will you come and download the good rF mods onto my PC for me? I'll give ya £20 for your time"... would be be allowed to provide that service? Sure he would
well, he atleast he wrote that the files are all free to download anywhere so i see no fault in it.

if you´re a lazy guy who dont want to browse the net for few mods, so why dont just buy a dvd wait few days and install them all.

imo the idea to sell the dvd isnt really that bad.
Quote from BastianB :
imo the idea to sell the dvd isnt really that bad.

Agree and it's not a new idea.

I did almost the same thing many years ago (where not may people had DSL)
I run a website for another game with hundreds of megabytes of mods to download.
And we were asked to make CDs for people who are not able (dial-up) / not want to spend hours in searchig and downloading the whole stuff.
Then we sold customized CDs with all that mods on it
(not to make profit but to help some people. we just took some Euros for the additional expenditure (if that's the right words for it).

So I can't see anything wrong with these DVDs (5 DVD 20 pounds = ~4,33 Euro per DVD sounds fair to me)
just download rfactor central
This happens a lot with Flight Sim scenery and it's generally frowned upon in that community.
From a modder's perspective you may not have issues with it, but I guarantee some of those trademark holders have an issue with this.
All of those mods are free on rfactorcentral. Add the full ILMS mod and a Enduracers leak and we got a deal.
You can buy 10 dvd-r for about £3 and if you buy in larger numbers you get them even cheaper - like 50 for £7 or £8 or so.

I think that unless he's buying those blanks individually at top price then he's definitely making a profit on the £22 it costs. But the size of his profit margin aside, collecting "free" things and selling them (even if you just claim to be selling the "collection and distribution" service) isn't always legal. I couldn't fill a DVD with random youtube videos and sell it, despite them being free to view by anyone with an internet connection.

I couldn't sell a DVD featuring the LFS demo and and iracing without permission either.
i can imagine the guy looking at his ebay listing now, thinking "wow 170+ views, i'm going to get loads of bids"

muahahaha :shhh:
Quote from EliteAti :If he made them, then why not. If he didnt make them then....

Yeah, I agree. If he makes them, then good luck to the fella. If he didn't, he better watch his back.

E: I read the description and it seems he's just putting things on DVD's to save other people time.. He could claim he's only getting something back for the cost of the internet and the DVD's, but whatever.
i doubt that he'd get away with it if someone contacted Simbin and told them that a mod that has been illegally converted from one of their games has been sold on ebay. Which is the case with RaceX

(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG