The online racing simulator
New digital fonts hard to read
(33 posts, started )
First, the new Patch S/T car/track content is great :thumb3d:

However, the change to digital fonts for both dashboard and screeninfo makes it really hard to read, especially during the heat of racing. In fact, I think the new digital fonts are ugly . Since they are on screen all the time, they are an important part of the look-and-feel of the game.

Perhaps an option to switch between digital fonts and "old" fonts would be nice.

Somebody else commented on the new digital fonts, too, here http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=109773#post109773
i kindy prefer the new 7-segment type font and find it easy to read
except on the fo8 and bl1 dash ... theyre both too small and bad colour choice imho (blue has too little contrast and they eyes have trouble getting a sharp picture of blue as well as red) ... is there any way to change the colour ?
#3 - wE1l
I am OK with the new fonts, in fact I think they're pretty cool.
Quote from Shotglass :i kindy prefer the new 7-segment type font and find it easy to read
except on the fo8 and bl1 dash ... theyre both too small and bad colour choice imho (blue has too little contrast and they eyes have trouble getting a sharp picture of blue as well as red) ... is there any way to change the colour ?

yes, in the options-> display, on the bottom you have dashboard color
my only problem with the BF1 is the freggin colors of it.

it's all red so it gets hard to shift at the right moment

but thats about a 2/10 problem
Quote from mejlus :yes, in the options-> display, on the bottom you have dashboard color

thaths the background of the fox dash ... not the font colour of the fo8 or bf1
My God people are never happy!

I mean really, is it such a big problem? The Dev team have spent God knows how long creating a super patch, updating game physics, and even adding a whole new car!! Yet some people are still not happy!

(Not a dig at you, by the way, just a general observation I've made)
no problem whatsoever here...they're clear as the sun !
I think the new numbers look fantastic. i love them. I do have a problem with them on the steering wheel of the open wheelers. Or should I say the lack of them on the dash as I don't display the wheel when I drive. I have my screen and my desktop "cockpit" setup so that it takes my actual wheel into account for what I would see. Now it is more important for the suggestion a while ago of having the view set per car rather than for the whole sim. That way, we could display the wheel for the open wheel cars only or do the hud gauges and wouldn't have to switch it in options when changing cars.

I've only ran a few laps and so far, I'm liking what I feel.
I prefer it, give a bit more sense of realism on the dash.
i think the position of the gear indicator is too low... the steering wheel cover half of the digit... some times i look and i dont if is 2 or 3... anyways sometimes i feel like i choice not have the gear indicator...
now when iam in 5 gear... i press [up shift], and nothing happens and i know iam in 5 gear...
like kernelpanic said... a option will be good, to choice between to have or not gear indicator or if is digital or not...
so... you own the game?
In dashboards the new number are good, but in the "HUD" (whatever it might be called) I'd prefer the old ones. The old ones were easier to read.
Fonts are a big improvement, look a lot more "race-like"

Dan,
Love the new digital digits

Looks more professional and are easy to read
I liked old fonts more too, but that's due to
a) low resolution (poor HW)
b) bad monitor (I don't have sharp picture anymore, so I use the old HW setup just for gaming where I don't have to read fonts...)

I would still love to see option "use old font" added.
The new digital fonts are so much better, i would never go back if i had the choise...
I'm fine with the fonts, but I agree about the colour of the BF1 dash.
Ideally, you want the top rev light to stand out in your peripheral vision so you dont have to look down.
At the moment, you still have to look down because the red top rev light just blurs into the red LCD display. I'll bet the real one isnt like that.
Quote from GaryArm :My God people are never happy!

I mean really, is it such a big problem? The Dev team have spent God knows how long creating a super patch, updating game physics, and even adding a whole new car!! Yet some people are still not happy!

(Not a dig at you, by the way, just a general observation I've made)

Could you please tell us how long we are supposed to wait until giving constructive criticism about a new patch? A week? A month? Perhaps never?
#20 - joen
I am completely happy with the new fonts, they look much more professional. But I guess it would be nice if the colour was adjustable. Shouldn't be hard to do i presume since the dash for the fox is configurable as well. The dashes are a huge improvement i think, they look great
I like the way the new font looks. It gives more of a racing feeling, but I do agree with the topic starter: I too find them more difficult to read than the old ones. I'm not saying the devs must put in an option to switch between the new and old ones, but I would appreciate it.
#22 - avih
IMHO, the new fonts look good but are a bit harder to read. I'd love an option to choose the prefered font...
IMO the new fonts are terribly ugly, btw they should be on the car dashboard for realism, BUT not in the HUD: i cannot read them!

so my suggestion is digital for in-car view, old fonts for on-screen hud.
#24 - ste_
Add me to the list who thinks the fonts in the cockpit are great, but doesn't like the fonts for the HUD timers. I find their 7-segments-font for HUD times hard to read but great in car !!
I like the new digital numbers too, but there is indeed a problem with seeing the gear number. I like analog readings though, but I can't read the analog speed display, the torque is okay. And in the BF1, when outside the car (wich I don't use, but just to point it out) the speed digits run through each other. So next time I'm gonna change the speed dials to digital again, and just guess what gear I'm in (I know most of the time, but I prefer to actually see it).

(33 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG