The online racing simulator
#1 - Jimi
Turning off CB (Gear Chance Blip) + CC (Gear Change Cut) realistic?
Do you think it's realistic driving with 'gear chance blip' and 'gear change cut' turned off is realistic?

Wouldn't that kill the engine? Especially on Fo8?

I know you turn that off to brake faster and eliminate gear changing times...

I also find it sounds a little sick with cb/cc turned off to me.

(But I used that too in S1 on MRT5)

It would be more realistic, if the engine/gearbox would burst after some time, when these helps are turned off,
what do you think?
They're quite realistic if you do them yourself, heel-toeing and lifting.
#3 - Jimi
Ya, but that's not the point.
Nobody does it manually when turned off...

I mean:
it feels sick
sounds sick

but you're faster!
so, you're forced to turn it off... what's that sh**??
i do..

I think we need more damage for the engine though. when people dont.

So far in S2 i have noticed no engine damage from over reving constantly, in S1 this used to have a noticable effect on the cars performance, and engine sound.
Quote from DratsaB :i do..

I think we need more damage for the engine though. when people dont.

So far in S2 i have noticed no engine damage from over reving constantly, in S1 this used to have a noticable effect on the cars performance, and engine sound.

Thank the new rev limiters for that.

I fully agree it sounds wrong. Not a simple problem to solve though really. If you remove the option for people with paddle-shifts then you'd still get racers with a 3rd pedal and shifters doing it, and they'd be a fair bit quicker than paddle shifters too (fair or unfair is another debate). Speed up the paddle shift speed to make up for this and it would be criticised for being too fast a shift speed, without the difficulty of manually changing gear, and the manual shifters would still be flat shifting all the time anyway.

In LFS you just don't get the lurchy sensation of sidestepping the clutch with the revs through the roof as you shift-up (but it is there, which is why the only time most racers will not flat-shift is if they're exiting a corner on the limit and do not want to upset the car).

I'd like something to be done about it, of course, if not for the realism then for the sound at least. But it has to be something that stops everyone doing it, not just paddle shifters.
(imo)
I used to keep the pedal to the metal when shifting up before. But I decided to change that, so now I am lifting off a little bit so the revs isn't fying to the moon.
we have GOT to have more realistic engine damage in that department, ATM you'll get a little power loss at most, it needs to simulate (at best) a broken valve spring etc. (not fatal but bad for power + might kill it eventually) to a busted crank or con rod,(death for the engine).

we need the damage to even things up a bit, you'll either have to lift or use the autocut.

i prefer the manual lifts and blips simply 'cos it's more fun!
#8 - Jimi
Quote from Theafro :we have GOT to have more realistic engine damage in that department, ATM you'll get a little power loss at most, it needs to simulate (at best) a broken valve spring etc. (not fatal but bad for power + might kill it eventually) to a busted crank or con rod,(death for the engine).

we need the damage to even things up a bit, you'll either have to lift or use the autocut.

i prefer the manual lifts and blips simply 'cos it's more fun!

That's it!
Sure, most of the formula cars and many race sports cars have the sequential manual gearboxes. Some of those have an automatic throttle cut for shifting. For upshifts, many times the clutch is not even used. For downshifts it typically is used with the sports cars.

Having manual blips and lifts is as realistic as it gets, especially when you are talking about sports cars. For the formula cars, it was not that many years ago when the automatic engine controls did not exist and it was all manual. So, the only cars in LFS where the automatic blip is somewhat realistic is for the formula cars. I think you will find that even if you have manual lift for upshift turned on, you don't need to bother doing it for the formual cars. They shift quick enough that you don't spike RPM's anyway. I do a manual blip for downshifting. It gives you more control and helps to keep you from locking the drive wheels. This gives you more control for hard braking.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG