The online racing simulator
JPG in skins_x dir not working
(15 posts, started )
As far as i know, a good way to get great screenshots is to put the high-res jpg of my teammates skins in my skins_x folder.
LFS used to make a DDS from this high-res file instead of downloading it from LFSworld.

Now i'm noticing LFS just ignores my great high-res textures, and downloads the DDS.
The filenames are identical (exept from the extention being .jpg), any idea what i'm doing wrong or how to get my high-res textures to be used in game?

Screenshot of my /data/skins_x dir to clarify:

You need to put the JPEGs in LFS/Data/Skins... Skins_x is only for .dds files. You also need to delete the low-res DDS files, otherwise it will show the low res ones by default, instead of the High res skins.
You didn't get my point

I mean that the 2048*2048 skins of other racers are put in the skins_x folder as jpg, and used to display as high-res skins.

Already found a workaround tough, i just renamed my 2048*2048 skin file to .dds and put it in the skins_x folder, now it displays in high-res again.
I did get your point, totally.

You still put the high res skins of other racers in the normal Skins folder... skins_x is for low res dds downloads ONLY.
Talked to same other racers, they are having the same problem since a couple of weeks

edit: even when i remove the dds from the skins_x folder, put my friends skin in my skins folder, it stills downloads and displays the low-res dds skin. Only when i rename the jpg file to .dds and put it in the skins_x dir, it displays correctly.
There is no problem, the only problem is that

---------------------

Basically, do this:

1) Copy the high-res JPEG skin of the other racer into LFS/data/skins (The name must be identical to the downloaded low-res skin)
2) Delete the low-res DDS skin of the other racer from skins_x
3) Restart LFS, to clear the low-res skin from the program memory
4) PROFIT.
COPY MRT_VLD09_vinzert.jpg to /data/skins < done
REMOVE MRT_VLD09_vinzert.dds from /data/skins_x < done
RESTART LFS 5 times, better be safe then sorry < done
CHECK That no file starting with MRT_VLD09_vinzert is in /data/skins_x < done
JOIN the server where my friend is racing < done
THANK you for explaining < done!

But still i'm sure it used to work when you put the jpg file in the skins_x folder a couple of weeks ago
If you put a skin in the skins folder itll convert and move into skins_dds afaik
Isn't skins_y for hi-res skins?
Quote from Shadowww :It is for downloaded 1024 skins (using credits 'n' shit).

But skins_x is for lo-res downloaded skins, where I can place any lo-res JPG and it'll work. Skins_y should work then for hi-res
1024² is hi-res? Failure
But if 1024 is lo-res, what's 512? (sub-zero-res? )
Quote from dougie-lampkin :But skins_x is for lo-res downloaded skins, where I can place any lo-res JPG and it'll work. Skins_y should work then for hi-res

Eh?

data/skins - Any res JPEG Skins............<-- Put ALL JPEG Skins here

data/skins_x - 512*512 DDS Skins........<-- Leave these alone unless deleting a low res
data/skins_y - 1024*1024 DDS Skins.....<-- DDS so that it does not *override* a high res JPEG

(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG