The online racing simulator
what is this called?
(34 posts, started )
what is this called?
It's the intake for the supercharger isn't it?
Blower ?

Just seems like a big intake, google seems adamant on "Blower" though ...

Come on you Americans, you should know this !

LOL Crashgate
when i google it i cant see any
i want a pic of one so i can use it in photoshop
Throttle plates to me
Dodge Charger
Supercharger?
Its a blower, usually houses/replaces an air filter. So its an air intake. Just makes it look all fancy & stuff, rather then having a big red K&N filter stuck on top
#13 - senn
I think i've heard them called a "blower hat" or "bug catcher" on drag racing shows..

the one on the OP's pic is the Hat/Throttle butterflies on the supercharger, and there isn't an air filter on it..
it looks like it might be Fuel injected rather than carburettor fed? (correct me if you know better, i'm guessing!)

The red car has two carbs over the supercharger, which i'm assuming would have throttle butterflies in them, as opposed to on the front of the intake?

EDIT: i've since had a look around and found some have carbs under with throttle butterflies too..I wonder what the advantage to having them on the hat is..
Quote from Equinox :Its a blower, usually houses/replaces an air filter. So its an air intake. Just makes it look all fancy & stuff, rather then having a big red K&N filter stuck on top

"Blower" usually refers to the supercharger itself, the thing brt900 wants to know about is just the intake for what is commonly a screw-type (or roots?) supercharger underneath...
#15 - SamH
(Carburetor) butterfly valves
it must be a blower
It's called an airscoop and blower. The air scoop is above the blower which controls air intake as you hit the throttle, and the blower BLOWS air into the engine (well, pretty much like a vacuum sucks air in). The Blower is also known as a supercharger.
Quote from GrIp DrIvEr :The air scoop is above the blower which controls air intake as you hit the throttle, and the blower BLOWS air into the engine

Then what are the throttle flaps on the carburetor for?
just call them
teh flipping flippers
#20 - 5haz
The'yre the butterfly valves on the intake manifold which leads to the supercharger which leads to the engine.

Sam beat me to it, and for some reason I completely forgot the existance of the carburettor.
Quote from SamH :(Carburetor) butterfly valves

+1

F**kin huge carburetor butterflies gets my vote.
Yup, they're butterflies. The supercharger is later in the inlet tract. Quite amusing how poor some peoples understanding of engines and superchargers is. <looks at grip driver> <refuses to use the silly capitalisation of his username>
Quote from tristancliffe :Yup, they're butterflies. The supercharger is later in the inlet tract. Quite amusing how poor some peoples understanding of engines and superchargers is. <looks at grip driver> <refuses to use the silly capitalisation of his username>

Normally I would endorse any bashing of Mr. Driver, but this time he's done a better job than the majority of other responders. Shocking, isn't it?

http://store.summitracing.com/ ... 9057+115&autoview=sku
^^This is what you're looking at.^^

The butterflies are there to keep air from pushing into carbeurator/s when the throttle is closed. It helps the car run properly at part and closed throttle.

Scoop ==> Carbeurator/s ==> supercharger (blower) ==> intake manifold ==> Cylinderhead ===> KABOOM!!
Quote from PAracer :Normally I would endorse any bashing of Mr. Driver, but this time he's done a better job than the majority of other responders. Shocking, isn't it?

http://store.summitracing.com/ ... 9057+115&autoview=sku
^^This is what you're looking at.^^

The butterflies are there to keep air from pushing into carbeurator/s when the throttle is closed. It helps the car run properly at part and closed throttle.

Scoop ==> Carbeurator/s ==> supercharger (blower) ==> intake manifold ==> Cylinderhead ===> KABOOM!!

hey thanks for the backup! anyway, I actually tried Google:wow: Also, I get loads of information from the dinner table when my dad and two brothers start talking. I learn so much from that place. Also, they are not called butterfly flaps. They are called throttle something (I will research that), and they help the engine get air through the scoop for more power. The supercharger on the other hand is a vacuum for the air (duh! forced induction).
#25 - senn
my question tho was, if you have butterflies on the blower hat, why do you also need them on the carby? (obviously some don't but there is pics about of those that do)Whats the advantage of having two sets of throttle bodies...

what is this called?
(34 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG