The online racing simulator
New dedicated server release
(60 posts, started )
Me hopes Scawen releases dedi an hour or two earlier. And that server hosters realise.
Quote from tristancliffe :Me hopes Scawen releases dedi an hour or two earlier. And that server hosters realise.

Also hoping that it doesnt happen while i am at work :o
#28 - SamH
Quote from franky500 :Yes i have 25 servers to do exactly the same thing to... Looking at over an hour to update all of them.

But we'll get it sorted.. its all a waiting game i guess.

I think I'm going to put up a good number of additional BF1/Aston North servers, to cater for the initial demand. I think people will want to try out the BF1 and see what it's all about, and of course discover the new Aston configs. Then I think people will want to see how their old favourites handle with the new aero and tyre physics.

I'm looking forward to it.. and certainly not grumbling. A new server to play with.. can't wait!! (but I have to!)
Quote from Becky Rose :Linux is not supported because it is only used by techie geeks who support themselves. What's the first thing a Linux user does? They emulate Windows.

Enough said.

Wine Is Not an Emulator. Told.
#30 - SamH
Quote from Dygear :Wine Is Not an Emulator. Told.

Splain?
Quote from SamH :I think I'm going to put up a good number of additional BF1/Aston North servers, to cater for the initial demand. I think people will want to try out the BF1 and see what it's all about, and of course discover the new Aston configs. Then I think people will want to see how their old favourites handle with the new aero and tyre physics.

I'm looking forward to it.. and certainly not grumbling. A new server to play with.. can't wait!! (but I have to!)

Gonna be doing the same thing Looks like we have a loooong day ahead of us before we can actually race
Quote from SamH :Splain?

Wine does not emulate the Intel x86 processor. Windows applications that do not make system calls will run just as fast as on Windows (no more no less).
#33 - JTbo
Quote from Becky Rose :Linux is not supported because it is only used by techie geeks who support themselves. What's the first thing a Linux user does? They emulate Windows.

Enough said.

I think your opinion is not valid nowdays as there is countries that are using linux instead of windows in their schools and offices.

Geeks of course needed for special tasks, it is good. (me unemployed geek)
#34 - SamH
Quote from Dygear :Wine does not emulate the Intel x86 processor. Windows applications that do not make system calls will run just as fast as on Windows (no more no less).

So Wine is what? Excuse my ignorance. I thought Wine was a Windows emulator. Not x86.. Windows. If not Windows, then does it not emulate an environment that Windows runs in? How does Wine not emulate? I'm obviously no Linux guru.

Quote from JTbo :I think your opinion is not valid nowdays as there is countries that are using linux instead of windows in their schools and offices.

Yes, and France didn't have a Millennium Bug policy.

It is JUST my opinion, but it's entirely based on tens of meetings with CIOs.. running Linux in mission-critical systems is an insurance minefield. Having an OS that is in any part authored and/or patched by people known only by names like "1337.hax0r" is irresponsible, business-wise. It's potentially quite something of a liability.

While it's true that most of my corporate experience has been in the US, rather than the UK, where Windows and genuine Unix are the preferred corporate and governmental OSs, it's also where I suspect subjects such as corporate liability are more topical. That correlation may indeed be significant.
Quote from SamH :So Wine is what? Excuse my ignorance. I thought Wine was a Windows emulator. Not x86.. Windows. If not Windows, then does it not emulate an environment that Windows runs in? How does Wine not emulate? I'm obviously no Linux guru.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WINE

WINE basically just reimplements all of the windows DLLs and stuff in linux, that way an x86 program written and compiled with the intent of needing windows components can run on linux.

The linux kernel isn't made by a bunch of unknown random people, it is managed by some of the best developers in the world.

Quote :
running Linux in mission-critical systems is an insurance minefield.

And it's not like there are major companies out there that you can buy enterprise level linux solutions from :rolleyes:
#36 - JTbo
I did reply to Becky and she was commenting this thing from normal user side, not company stuff as that is quite different world, what works in hobby systems like linux box in corner is not necessarily good for corporate use and vice versa.

However I worked in company at 1998 that used linux servers instead of routers for sharing isdn line, it of course cached transferred data too, so it is very good for certain appliances. HP has been developing own unix/linux version, mac os is again one variant from subject, it is really quite far from being l33t ppl thing. There is already solutions that have embedded linux as OS, it really is not anymore just thing for geeks but coming really into markets.

There is companies that are building linux distros with same kind of resposibility and quality control as windows, maybe even better in some cases.

It would be wrong to say that it is just for geeks, it is however not yet really same level as windows but when I compare 1998 state and todays state, man it is really usable for ppl that even don't like to get hands dirty, nothing like back in 1998 when you really needed to be a geek to get that thing installed.

I know one book keeper that is using linux, she does barely know how to use computer but she chose Linux instead of windows, no problems at all.

Ubuntu is considered one of good distros for beginner, there is also cd image available that you burn to cd-rom and then start your computer from cd-rom so you can test Linux without installing anything, they even send you cd-roms if you ask, free.
It is one interesting future things this Linux.

I'm not saying that linux would be ideal solution and that everyone should jump into it, just I'm trying to say that for some it works really well, it is already usable and not just geek thing, there is companies behind it, lot of.
#37 - SamH
Quote from BrandonAGr :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WINE

WINE basically just reimplements all of the windows DLLs and stuff in linux, that way an x86 program written and compiled with the intent of needing windows components can run on linux.

Thanks for that (7am and I haven't slept yet.. maybe later! )
Quote from BrandonAGr :The linux kernel isn't made by a bunch of unknown random people, it is managed by some of the best developers in the world.

And they assume liability for it all?
#38 - SamH
Quote from JTbo :Ubuntu is considered one of good distros for beginner, there is also cd image available that you burn to cd-rom and then start your computer from cd-rom so you can test Linux without installing anything, they even send you cd-roms if you ask, free.

You're the 2nd person to recommend Ubuntu to me. I have a spare unit here, and I think I'll give that a spin. Thanks
#39 - JTbo
Sam, here is little info about Linux kernel

There is also info how it is maintained, just give it a fair chance

Yes, Ubuntu is easy to go with, but from my opinion Linux suits worse to windows power users, it is ok for servers, it is ok for beginners, but power users may get frustrated, just my experience
well reconfigering the server is going to be a job for 100's of people. The new aston north is gonna be good to have a go on so i am guessing all the servers that will be catering that will be full! a lot of setup configering i think aswell.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
=[CTR]= Martyn
LFS S2 S dedicated host released!!!
Just for those who doesnt know... it is out!!!!
LFS S2 S dedicated host released!!!
Check the main page
I knew... we want the patch though!
Dedicated host out now
#45 - wE1l
update, new dedi added
#46 - janm
and....
#47 - jmkz
#48 - jmkz
Quote from e-dwarf :I swear to god, if the serverfiles are released before the patch, im going to shave all my hair off.

Pics
Quote from kel64 :Pics

FUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

New dedicated server release
(60 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG