The online racing simulator
Quote from Lateralus :The only way USF1 could avoid designing and building a car from scratch would be to buy a 2009-spec car, which I seriously doubt would ever happen.

Hmm.. according to USF1, "Most of the technology from F1 comes from the US to begin with".. I don't think USF1 needs to turn to European or Asian car companies for help do they? In fact, I'm not entirely sure why they're looking at existing European and Asian F1 engine suppliers.. surely Chevy can crank out a V8 for them??

I gotta be honest, I'm struggling to take the USF1 team seriously at all. I just don't get how they can possibly be naming drivers they'd like in their cars at this stage of their team's development.

It all reminds me far too much of Salvage 1 to be serious.
They can't due to the engine freeze rules, it has to be someone currently in F1.
I like that the manager is English.

It's going to cost a fortune to ship the team to Europe all the time. Aside from that, I can't see any reason it wouldn't work. Those guys sounds pretty smart though, so good luck to them. Plus their can't be too many F1 teams.
Kyle Busch's agent on USF1:

http://www.scenedaily.com/news ... open_for_Formula_One.html

Out of all the people mentioned for the USF1 seats so far, I think Kyle is the one I'd most like to see try it. I know most of NASCAR can't stand him but I think he has a ton of talent, and I'd love to see what he could do with 2 years in an F1 car. Plus I think it would be entertaining seeing him rub the F1 crowd the wrong way. Realistically though I can't see this happening any time soon, at least not before he wins a Sprint Cup title.
Quote :USF1 car ready by autumn '09

USF1 team principal Ken Anderson expects to have their first Formula One car built by this autumn and ready to take to the track for the first time when next season's winter testing ban is lifted in January...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73423
Quote from UncleBenny :Kyle Busch's agent on USF1:

http://www.scenedaily.com/news ... open_for_Formula_One.html

Out of all the people mentioned for the USF1 seats so far, I think Kyle is the one I'd most like to see try it. I know most of NASCAR can't stand him but I think he has a ton of talent, and I'd love to see what he could do with 2 years in an F1 car. Plus I think it would be entertaining seeing him rub the F1 crowd the wrong way. Realistically though I can't see this happening any time soon, at least not before he wins a Sprint Cup title.

I also see that they are considering Danica Patrick....I guess they dont want to be taken too seriously.
My hope is that they are just throwing her name out there to get some early publicity for the team. They seem like some smart people, I can't see them realistically giving her a seat in F1.
I really have a problem with them trying to be patriotic with their choice of drivers. Okay, I agree that hypothetically having, say, an European born driver in a car that has USF1 printed on it would ludicrous, but they're still keeping themselves away from so many good foreign drivers by doing this. I'm really not convinced F1 is a place to be patriotic in.

There are some good drivers in the US, that's for sure, but what if there is a much better option somewhere else that they'll overlook just because they have to put an American in the car?
Quote from boosterfire :I really have a problem with them trying to be patriotic with their choice of drivers.

Then F1 probably isn't headed in a direction you'll like. Nationalism is on the rise in F1, and has been for a few years. Peter Windsor said it himself.

First Force India, now USF1, could easily be China in a few years, Japan could throw support behind a rebuilt Honda or Toyota...
Quote from Lateralus :First Force India, now USF1, could easily be China in a few years, Japan could throw support behind a rebuilt Honda or Toyota...

Force India is driven by a German and an Italian.

Super Aguri tried to be Japanese, but the best they got was Sato. Davidson wasn't much better, but it still shows how limiting it is to pick a driver from just one country.
Quote from th84 :I also see that they are considering Danica Patrick....I guess they dont want to be taken too seriously.

Peter Windsor threw out names from junior series to Nascar drivers... probably best to be polite than saying "we'll never consider that bitch (Danica)"
Quote from samjh :Force India is driven by a German and an Italian.

And they're trying to get Indian drivers through the ranks. Even if they run foreign drivers, they're trying to drum up patriotism in India by having "India" in the name of the team.

Quote from samjh :it still shows how limiting it is to pick a driver from just one country.

Yep, I agree, but it won't stop teams from trying to do it. The reign of the manufacturer teams will eventually come to an end, and shifting the focus of a team towards a particular nation is a logical progression from that. Money is money, whether it comes from a car manufacturer or a government. I don't think this trend is a necessarily a positive one either, but it definitely seems to be occuring.
Quote from Lateralus :And they're trying to get Indian drivers through the ranks. Even if they run foreign drivers, they're trying to drum up patriotism in India by having "India" in the name of the team.

Yep, I agree, but it won't stop teams from trying to do it. The reign of the manufacturer teams will eventually come to an end, and shifting the focus of a team towards a particular nation is a logical progression from that. Money is money, whether it comes from a car manufacturer or a government. I don't think this trend is a necessarily a positive one either, but it definitely seems to be occuring.

at least Force India is run by an Indian, Super Aguri was run by a Japanese, but as far as I know, Peter Windsor isn't an American~?

what I didn't get is why is he all of a sudden so patriotic to America~? (other than the business reasons behind it)
Quote from JCTK :at least Force India is run by an Indian, Super Aguri was run by a Japanese, but as far as I know, Peter Windsor isn't an American~?

what I didn't get is why is he all of a sudden so patriotic to America~? (other than the business reasons behind it)

Windsor isn't patriotic to America. It's just business. If you didn't know already, Olympic teams are often coached by foreign coaches, but that doesn't mean those coaches are somehow traitors to their own country or suffering from a surge of misdirected patriotism.
One more in da gang! i love it, so many team left lately
The problem really is with the drivers. You're looking for the best of the best, and the driver pool with F1 potential isn't that big from the start. I don't think trying to acquire American mechanics for USF1 is a problem at all, nor would be trying to keep their car American-made, etc. I'm not saying that they won't be able to find some very good American drivers which could end up highly successful, I just think it's a very bad idea to keep it to American drivers in an area where there's not that many people to choose from anyway.

Who knows, they might end up testing like 20 American drivers and find none that fit for the job. Then what would they do? Hire the best of them, even though he's not good enough, and hope that the mechanics make up for it? That would be ridiculous.

Nationalism is really not a good idea in F1. It's mostly not a good idea in team sports as a whole. For instance, have a look at Olympic teams (or world championship teams, etc). They're never as good as the teams found in the pro leagues, because they have to keep it to players of only one nationality. And yes F1 is a team sport.

p.s. Thanks for the topic name change, I failed at capital letters
Well, they've got another season to pick a driver. Graham Rahal was good in Champ Cars, but he's doing crap in the new IRL; Marco Andretti just needs to step up more; Danica Patrick needs to do better on road courses. One of them need to do sufficiently well in 2009.

If they can't find anyone, they can plonk Scott Speed in the race seat, and choose a foreign driver for the second seat. Most Americans are immigrants anyway, so what does it matter?
Quote from samjh :Most Americans are immigrants anyway, so what does it matter?

Point out about that if Aussies are someday trying to set up a F1 team...
Quote from deggis :Point out about that if Aussies are someday trying to set up a F1 team...

I sure will.
If they have to get an american driver then really right now only Scott Speed is worthy.
Quote from Mustafur :If they have to get an american driver then really right now only Scott Speed is worthy.

Are you serious.

Worryingly, I can't think of any US driver that would be better though, but we'll see hopefully.
When you first said USF1 is dead I was like "Noooooooooooooooooo"
Still not as good as 'All American Racing' or 'Eagle'.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG