The online racing simulator
development and communication
(48 posts, started )
Hello everyone,
I'm not really a very good "LFS forum" user, because I don't read it every day and I have never posted here, but generally at least once a week I try to read some threads just to stay up-to-date.
I see that there are a lot of people (me too, obviusly) asking for the VW Scirocco or for general news about the development of our favourite game.
I understand that only 3 developers with a huge project like LFS makes them very busy, but why don't write something like a weekly newsletter telling about the progress in developing patches or updates? People should complain less and maybe could even give some suggestions..
What do you think?

(maybe this idea isn't so new, but I have never read anything similar, so this is my suggestion. If someone already answered to a similar question please tell me)
When you bought S2, there were no agreement that developers will constantly provide you with updates
#3 - Nobo
Quote from gigi91430ita :... but why don't write something like a weekly newsletter telling about the progress in developing patches or updates? People should complain less and maybe could even give some suggestions..
What do you think?

People would complain even more. If they would write a newsletter that they are working on xy. People expect xy soon and dont take into account that things need time and complications can occur.
Its the same with the scirocco. It got announced, then things took longer because problems occured and now people are asking again again and again when the scirocco is going to be released and accusing the devs being lazy.
Let them work on their project as they want. Creative work takes longer then just copying existing things. This goes for the physic development and the car/track development. If you just want some fast crapy copy of things its better going off playing other games. We all got more S2 content then promised in first place, and a more bug free game then 99% of the other games on the market.
The devs do it from time to time, but if there are no updates there are nothing to write either. The progress of LFS is slow, but when there are updates the devs will inform us. So don't worry, we'll withing a month of two hear from them again, about status and such, Scawen likes to give a some info and future thoughts most of the times he posts posts to the community.
Quote from gigi91430ita :I see that there are a lot of people (me too, obviusly) asking for the VW Scirocco or for general news about the development of our favourite game.
I understand that only 3 developers with a huge project like LFS makes them very busy, but why don't write something like a weekly newsletter telling about the progress in developing patches or updates?

Because of the constant moaning which would actually get even worse than it already is when something they mentioned in that progress report doesn't happen as "promised" as you can see at the nonsense about the Scirocco atm. And because people would misinterpret/flat out lie about some of the things they said in the progress report. As has happened with the Scirocco, too.

IMO.
Gawd, its so frustrating coming to this forum now, allways the same stuff..where is car XPTO, where is Eric, where is server, where is S3...

STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP.
They are working very hard at the moment, believe me!
I'm sure they would not be sitting in a chair and doing nothing.
I think they would love to get it here faster but they want to do it as good as possible, and that's the best choice.
#8 - Byku
Scawen said himself that he will start working in the middle of february... so he is propably working on it now . Some people are propably testing VW in secret , i'll bet that we'll get this patch in march for sure(oh buy, how i miss those little test patches :insane
Quote from Byku :Scawen said himself that he will start working in the middle of february... so he is propably working on it now . Some people are propably testing VW in secret , i'll bet that we'll get this patch in march for sure(oh buy, how i miss those little test patches :insane

If I may give my opinion I think it's nearly done
Since Vic is back at the forum
I only said that they could tell us what the're doing. like "we are tryng to solve a bug with the physics" "we solved a compatibility bug with some video cards", something that lets us now that they are alive.
I'm sure they're working a lot and I appreciate this, but well, I know tha phylosophy of the team so amen..
Quote from rockclan :If I may give my opinion I think it's nearly done

Could you explain that train of thought?
Quote from zeugnimod :Could you explain that train of thought?

Well eehm
The devs have not have had time for the forums in busy development.
Maybe now it's almost finished they do have the time, and that shows something.
Quote from rockclan :The devs have not have had time for the forums in busy development.
Maybe now it's almost finished they do have the time, and that shows something.

But Scawen and Victor have very different work. Victor doesn't work on the Scirocco directly, AFAIK.
Quote from zeugnimod :But Scawen and Victor have very different work. Victor doesn't work on the Scirocco directly, AFAIK.

I know but who knows much more is to come to Patch 0.6 A Beta.
Since Scawen once said he wanted to have stuff like Break-off damage and much more fixed before releasing a Beta patch.

Who knows what kind of work they have been going truth
Quote from rockclan :I know but who knows much more is to come to Patch 0.6 A Beta.
Since Scawen once said he wanted to have stuff like Break-off damage and much more fixed before releasing a Beta patch.

I don't think the next patch will be Beta.
Quote from zeugnimod :I don't think the next patch will be Beta.

Ok but normally after 0.5 , 0.6 is beta
I like this idea, because maybe then there will be less new posts like: ''When scirocco will be ready?'' and so on. But, after posting some info, they will have to lock the thread, so forum users cant discuss their job, and post things like: "Thanks'' ''Please make it public faster'' etc etc.
Sooo.. +1
Quote from rockclan :If I may give my opinion I think it's nearly done

More importantly: Jo has reemerged...
Quote from rockclan :Ok but normally after 0.5 , 0.6 is beta

lfs isn´t normal!
attatchment shows the lfs viewer ---> LFS S2 Alpha 0.6a
Attached images
0.6a.jpg
Quote from zeugnimod :Because of the constant moaning which would actually get even worse than it already is when something they mentioned in that progress report doesn't happen as "promised" as you can see at the nonsense about the Scirocco atm. And because people would misinterpret/flat out lie about some of the things they said in the progress report. As has happened with the Scirocco, too.

IMO.

Just not true, if there would be at least some community management. But there is simply none.
I know what other guys dont know, Dont I Walter? :hide:
-
(SabersKunk) DELETED by SabersKunk
Quote from Vykos69 :Just not true, if there would be at least some community management. But there is simply none.

I fear that the LFS community oldfags are turning their backs to LFS too
It's hard to believe that a new car has so much bugs.....................
Quote from gigi91430ita :Hello everyone,
I'm not really a very good "LFS forum" user, because I don't read it every day and I have never posted here, but generally at least once a week I try to read some threads just to stay up-to-date.
I see that there are a lot of people (me too, obviusly) asking for the VW Scirocco or for general news about the development of our favourite game.
I understand that only 3 developers with a huge project like LFS makes them very busy, but why don't write something like a weekly newsletter telling about the progress in developing patches or updates? People should complain less and maybe could even give some suggestions..
What do you think?

(maybe this idea isn't so new, but I have never read anything similar, so this is my suggestion. If someone already answered to a similar question please tell me)

The problem with writing a newsletter every week is:

You have to Write a Newsletter Every Week.

This time could be spent on other things. Believe me. when you have to switch gears and start writing a weekly newsletter or report you then must switch back to doing actual work. Not only those things, but the first time the Weekly News Letter is late or missed you'll get an uproar.

I have to submit a weekly report at work. The problem is not writing the report. The problem is stopping what you are doing, gathering all your thoughts and putting them on paper so your boss can forward it to his boss, who forwards that to his boss and it ends up somewhere in the CEO's inbox. Scawen is his own boss... so he reports to no one.....besides his wife of course.

-Jay
#25 - SamH
I don't see any benefit to bringing more information about development to the forum, tbh. Scawen recently tried to do it, despite his better judgement, and circumstances ultimately burned him for it. Lesson learned, I hope.

It's just plain sod's law that things didn't work out in December like they were supposed to do. It's nobody's fault but sod, and sod alone.

In my completely uneducated opinion, what went wrong is that for one reason or another, there wasn't enough variety in the hardware between the private beta testers. When Scawen began to introduce his code changes to a wider audience with public test patches, some new and completely unforseen coding issues arose. Since Scawen had planned to put out the patch prior to Christmas and moving house, these issues got in the way of that timeline. This is why we're "sans patch" right now, except for a really stable and very usable test patch Z10.

I don't think we're lacking information about what's happening or whereabouts development is right now. In fact I'm pretty sure we know as much if not more about the current situation than we've ever known before, and we've survived a good few years on less direct input from Scawen on the "state of the union".

Quite honestly, most if not all of the moaning and complaining revolves around a lack of information, which is annoying because the information is available. It sometimes seems like people CHOOSE to be ignorant of the facts that Scawen has put into the community, just so they can have a whinge. The whinging and demands for more information benefit nobody, though, and just serve to perpetuate an atmosphere of agitation and unrest. That does neither the community, nor the developers, an ounce of good. It's just mass-market trolling, caused by gossip-starved boredom.

(48 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG