The online racing simulator
Did iRacing Kill LFS?
(133 posts, started )
Quote from Shotglass :4d sports driving

aha! now to put the two together S3 should support all old 4D driving content
I don't think anything killed or will kill LFS soon.iRacing is wayyyyyyy too overpriced.
Quote from Linsen : as I only recently came to realize, the fact that all cars and/or tracks seemed to feel generically the same to me and lacked character, and there you have why LFS was dead for me.

o_O

Oh yeahhhhhhhh.. the mini and the BF1 are so similar to the XRG. And what's the difference between the UFR and the FZR anyway, they're so generically the same

aston and south city... basically the same right?
some people will say anything! :uglyhamme

Demo users dropped off 8 months ago because the XRT was removed from demo. Maybe they went somewhere else to drift or bought S2 who knows? I guess the FBM wasn't too easy to drift
Quote from CarlLefrancois :o_O

Oh yeahhhhhhhh.. the mini and the BF1 are so similar to the XRG. And what's the difference between the UFR and the FZR anyway, they're so generically the same

South city is the only track that is not the same as others because it actually has bumps, even the dirt sections for rallycross are smooth!

And you honestly cannot say all the cars have their own characteristics.

After awhile you start to get this dull feeling, so IMO Linsen is right.

I'm afraid you didn't really get the point, Carl. Never did I say all the cars/tracks were the same, but that they generically felt the same to me. I'm not claiming that my opinion is any more valid than somebody else's, and I will not hesitate to point out flaws in iRacing just as I will happily give LFS credit where it's due.

But it doesn't really matter. Some people will see fanboyism in even the most objective remarks and in the most innocent expressions of preference. I've accepted that a long time ago and am really not getting worked up about it anymore.

Demo users dropped off 8 months ago because the XRT was removed from demo. Maybe they went somewhere else to drift or bought S2 who knows? I guess the FBM wasn't too easy to drift

I agree. I love the FZR and hate the UFR. They drive totally different.

The tracks could use some more bumps but maybe that will come. South City proves the engine can handle it and when LFS started coding on S2 all racing games had flat tracks. Development is a little iddle at the moment, but what can you expect from a game you bought a few years ago for this price. I wouldn't mind if they speeded things up and we had to buy a new licence, but on the other hand we should be happy with the lifespan of S2. If it was a game of a big publicer we would have got more upgrades but probably had to buy S3, S4 and S5 for that.
what happens when the developers are to old for development? :weeping:
developers make developers. and by that time, the developer offspring can take over the burden
lol... hopefully its not a nfs adict...
iRacing is made for US fanatics.... look how much ovals are in that game
dont know why so much people spending money for a game with physics like..... GT4.... full throttle and nothing happens, the car just is like a rocket.
Quote from Trekkerfahrer :iRacing is made for US fanatics.... look how much ovals are in that game
dont know why so much people spending money for a game with physics like..... GT4.... full throttle and nothing happens, the car just is like a rocket.

Sounds like you gave it a very thorough try. :rolleyes:
lol... americans tend to go straight or left... thats why you dont see may cars on the backroads..
Quote from Trekkerfahrer :iRacing is made for US fanatics.... look how much ovals are in that game

Even though I've never tried iRacing, it's painfully obvious that you have no idea what you are talking about. Get a clue.
Well, personally, I haven't played LFS in over six months but I do miss it. I've played GT5P and Forza 2 which are great alternatives.

Obviously, the slow rate of development is quite frustrating but the thing that perhaps is most frustrating is the fact that they're keeping it a 3 man team. No doubt, its amazing how good it is when teams of 50 or more guys couldn't do better but although, they keep amazing us with new developments and features, its only once in a while because it takes ages to develop with such a small team.

I think that they should consider bringing in more people. I'm not really bothered if they were to boost up the price a bit (maybe make it like £15 or £18 per licence) that would allow for quicker development and new ideas.
Quote from Leprekaun :Well, personally, I haven't played LFS in over six months but I do miss it. I've played GT5P and Forza 2 which are great alternatives.

Obviously, the slow rate of development is quite frustrating but the thing that perhaps is most frustrating is the fact that they're keeping it a 3 man team. No doubt, its amazing how good it is when teams of 50 or more guys couldn't do better but although, they keep amazing us with new developments and features, its only once in a while because it takes ages to develop with such a small team.

I think that they should consider bringing in more people. I'm not really bothered if they were to boost up the price a bit (maybe make it like £15 or £18 per licence) that would allow for quicker development and new ideas.

You bring in the argument about slow development again, but give strange examples. Forza 2 is updated much less then LFS is and GT5P is a preview version of a game that hasn't got a launch date yet but will probably take at least a year from now to be finished. So it's kind of comparable with LFS besides you have to buy the full version again with GT5.

When i bought LFS i took it as is and only enjoyed it was still onder active development. Most games are not, they just let you buy a new version every year. In LFS people that bougt S1 six year ago still get free physic and video upgrades.
No it did not.
iRacing didn't kill LFS, it killed Nascar 2003.
Quote from 5haz :iRacing didn't kill LFS, it killed Nascar 2003.

Nascar 2003 still does 60/70 dollar on ebay. Nascar 2003 killed itself by not making new licenses with CDrom/DVD's and not making deals with steam.
Quote from marzman :Nascar 2003 still does 60/70 dollar on ebay. Nascar 2003 killed itself by not making new licenses with CDrom/DVD's and not making deals with steam.

Apparently they had to pull the game from stores as early as first quarter of 2004 due to EA taking over the NASCAR license.
I am one of a few people that think, that LFS physics are much better than iRacing.

iRacing have only 3 points better than LFS.

1.- Scanned tracks, I don't need real tracks, but the surface tracks in iRacing are much detailed than LFS
2.- Rythm of developement.
3.- Force Feed Back, it is not perfect and it is so much exagerated, but it is better than LFS

IMO this 3 things are only best than LFS, ALL other is LFS better than iRacing, so if iRacing will cost the same than LFS I will continue playing LFS.
iracing has more developers sucking your money out... thats why they get the good tracks.
They have the financial reserves to do such a thing. I'm hoping that S3 will contain either more detailed track surfaces or laser scanned tracks or something. Time will tell, I won't be comparing iRacing directly to LFS until S3 is out.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :They have the financial reserves to do such a thing. I'm hoping that S3 will contain either more detailed track surfaces or laser scanned tracks or something. Time will tell, I won't be comparing iRacing directly to LFS until S3 is out.

How do you laserscan Blackwood or Kyoto?
build the track in real life, and then lazer scan it.

Did iRacing Kill LFS?
(133 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG