The online racing simulator
What other projects do the LFS dev's do?
(37 posts, closed, started )
My guess is that he uses a other account, or just hides his log-ins. I think he keeps up on track what happens on the board, or maybe the others inform him. I have no idea actually.
Quote from NightShift :Seriously, Eric looks like the type of guy you should try hard not to piss off, ready to kick anybody's ass to the moon and back. To put up with all the crap the forum usually vomits on him, either he is a Zen monk or really he doesn't read the boards at all

That's because Eric is actually Chuck Norris.
Umh, I think some of the posters here have absolutely 0 notion of how much work goes into a project like this.

I would actually say the contrary: If Eric does cars and tracks on his own it's an absolute miracle we get more than an update every 10 years!

It takes a team of designers wekks to corretly model a car. Then implement physics on top of that. Then create tracks - hell - just one car and one track would take me 5 years to do.

So everyone being funny here, here's a dare: you open up Photoshop and create an exact re-creation of this (attached image)

See how long that takes you.

And then consider that all you've done is paint a flower. Now multiply that time by 10.000 and you may have modeled a car. Then multiply by 100 and you may have made that car work in the physics environment.

Still think things take a long time?

aceracer
Attached images
flower.jpg
Quote from aceracer :Umh, I think some of the posters here have absolutely 0 notion of how much work goes into a project like this.

I would actually say the contrary: If Eric does cars and tracks on his own it's an absolute miracle we get more than an update every 10 years!

It takes a team of designers wekks to corretly model a car.

Rubbish.

I am a 3D modeller by trade, and aslong as you have decent and sufficient data to produce the model, it doesn't take "weeks" at all.

Comparing drawing a flower in PS is nothing, NOTHING like modelling a car/plane whatever.
Oh the drama!

It's his job, apparently. I think his turn-around time would be better than yours. He seemed to complete them pretty quickly between S1 and S2 given the huge increase in content over S1 when S2 was released.

It's been years since S2 was released to the public in alpha state and we've had a couple of cars, the promise of one more, some interiors and a couple of existing track variations. I quietly hope there's a stash of content waiting in the wings but on my darker days I doubt it.
Quote from aceracer :It takes a team of designers wekks to corretly model a car. Then implement physics on top of that. Then create tracks - hell - just one car and one track would take me 5 years to do.

Maybe if you were working for an spanish consulting enterprise it would take you 5 years and 100 monkeys to make a form with a single button... otherwise modeling and programming shouldn't take that long (as in 1 year to make 1 car), unless you're taking it easy... which seems to be the case (that's ok with me).
The most abused forum users: Scawen, Victor, Eric. That's sad.
Quote :
Comparing drawing a flower in PS is nothing, NOTHING like modelling a car/plane whatever.

Of course it's not, that's why I posted it. Modelling is hugely more complex. The flower would just be the sticker on the rear of the car I just tried to underline how work intensive any sort of graphic/design/modeling work is - even the most basic thing like drawing a simplified flower.

Send me a pm if you're a fast modeler and interested, I'm always looking for that because I don't have the time to always model everything myself. Now that you spilled the beans I can expect super fast turnarounds

So if I ask a precise model of a car I can have it in days - and pay accordingly? That would be great!

Quote :Maybe if you were working for an spanish consulting enterprise it would take you 5 years and 100 monkeys

In case you're trying to imply my inefficiency because of the Spanish flag in my sig: I'm actually German.

I just live in Spain - cos I can

aceracer
Quote from aceracer :
In case you're trying to imply my inefficiency because of the Spanish flag in my sig: I'm actually German.

Not at all, I was mocking (or trying at least) spanish consulting enterprises, as an example of wasted resources (in my experience), since I'm actually spanish and not that self-critic.
Quote from aceracer :Of course it's not, that's why I posted it. Modelling is hugely more complex. The flower would just be the sticker on the rear of the car I just tried to underline how work intensive any sort of graphic/design/modeling work is - even the most basic thing like drawing a simplified flower.

Send me a pm if you're a fast modeler and interested, I'm always looking for that because I don't have the time to always model everything myself. Now that you spilled the beans I can expect super fast turnarounds

So if I ask a precise model of a car I can have it in days - and pay accordingly? That would be great!

aceracer

I have also done "high quality" skin work for professional (i.e. released in the shops, paid for) mods for FS2004, so I know what goes into making textures too.

As for modelling, days?, yeah probably, especially if its too LFS standards.

As for working for you, been there, done that, made freeware planes for FS, made pro textures, plus I do that kind of work day in day out, so doing it in my free time is not a friendly prospect.
#37 - Eric
It's getting really boring reading these complaints about why new LFS content isn't released at a rate which suits you. I'm not sure what these posters think they can accomplish, but they'd have to be complete idiots to not realise that they won't change a thing. It's madness to keep doing the same things over and over again and expect a different result everytime.

I really dont feel the need to justify the way or even the pace at which I work to anyone. The conditions I have to work in and the tools I have to work with affect only me, so I will deal with things my own way. I would say I'm sorry if you don't like it, but the truth is I'm not sorry. I am my own boss. I don't answer to anyone. Get over it.

If you don't like LFS or the speed of it's development....or even the fact that we are entitled to live a life outside of LFS, you have the free will to leave and play something else.

If you prefer to stick around and moan endlessly about things you can't change or encourage some kind of weird witch hunt against your least favourite Dev,......maybe you need to check your mental health or get a life. LFS can't help you with that, no matter how good it gets.
This thread is closed

What other projects do the LFS dev's do?
(37 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG