The online racing simulator
Is my XR GT broken?
(13 posts, started )
Is my XR GT broken?
I have been practicing for what seems like forever and am around the 'pro' ai in terms of lap times. I figured that, that would be good enough for online. Anyway, I took the XR GT out on to South City Town Course [rev] for a practice session along with 2 other people. Flat out I was getting the same as the ai at 'pro' level (about 1:49) but the others were getting 1:42 and 1:45. I expect to have my arse kicked and if it's just a case of practicing then I'll do that but 7 seconds, or even 4 seconds faster than pro ai does seem to be a bit too fast. I couldn't get those times if I was going in a straight line. Am I missing something obvious? Do the ai and myself have the 'square wheels' option selected or is there a 'go faster' button in the options?
If you give us a replay we can look at your driving.

It's most likely you need more practice. The AI, even when on 'Pro' setting, aren't really that fast

It's also likely that the set you're using is rubbish (and therefore has innappropriate gearing for the track, which would make you slower)
Hi. Ai is slow. XRG needs smooth driving around corners, you cant let it loose speed mid corner because its heavy car. The ultimate step is trying to "slide" around some corners. Good practice.
Thanks JO53PHS, I'll spare myself the embarrasment of handing over a replay for now. I just wanted to know if those lap times were actually possible with an untampered-with car. If the ai isn't that good then it just suggests I'm crap too and need to practice, so I'll keep at it for a while.
Again, thank you for your kind offer and assuming I haven't thrown my G25 out of the window I'll re-post with a replay when I hit the proverbial brick wall.

edit: Ahh yes, the setup. I hate setups so I try not to veer too far from the defaults, but the one thing I can do properly is gear ratios so at least I can get the acceleration/top speed right. As for all the other options, I don't want to fall into the trap of blaming my lousy driving on the setup. I have played racing sims before and usually find that I'm only equipped to play with setups after the driving is spot on.
Quote from FiveMagics :I have been practicing for what seems like forever and am around the 'pro' ai in terms of lap times. I figured that, that would be good enough for online. Anyway, I took the XR GT out on to South City Town Course [rev] for a practice session along with 2 other people. Flat out I was getting the same as the ai at 'pro' level (about 1:49) but the others were getting 1:42 and 1:45. I expect to have my arse kicked and if it's just a case of practicing then I'll do that but 7 seconds, or even 4 seconds faster than pro ai does seem to be a bit too fast. I couldn't get those times if I was going in a straight line. Am I missing something obvious? Do the ai and myself have the 'square wheels' option selected or is there a 'go faster' button in the options?

becareful of the ever so slight dump/crests normals on the last turn before the finish line...

at high speed pushing the limit its just enough to set you off !
Quote from FiveMagics :assuming I haven't thrown my G25 out of the window

Just don't lose your hope I put some time into getting more familiar with the XRG and it was a great exercise that improved my simming skills. Plus it gets great fun to drive
You actually have to modulate the throttle in the XRG, you can't just be flat out in the middle of corner, like you could in an XFG.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :You actually have to modulate the throttle in the XRG, you can't just be flat out in the middle of corner, like you could in an XFG.

As luck would have it, I've managed to handle throttle modulation in the XRG to a certain degree by driving the dirt tracks. It's why I like the rwd's. All the same, thanks for the pointer.
This is a damn good place to get help, I wish I'd posted with a more significant problem. Any idea how I'd go about bumping off an ex-wife without incuring a criminal record?
Quote from FiveMagics :Any idea how I'd go about bumping off an ex-wife without incuring a criminal record?

back on topic
Also you might concider looking at some good S2 hotlaps in lfsworld.net if you whant to get an idea about times that are realy close to the car's limits.
You may find some agressive and usualy not apropriate driving for stable racing. But it may help you know how far you can push your car.

When using new setups you have to keep a close look at tire temperatures. (F9) You might find that tires build up heat way to fast so after a lap or two you start sliding allover the place.
You may hate setups but at least you got to try experimenting with camber and pressure settings if you whant to survive.
(Usualy though, this is not the cace with XRG-XFG setups even if they are hotlap oriented.)
I recommend endurance sets. Tyres last a very long time and they are easier to drive than hotlap setups, and still much faster than the default setup.
I second that and I recommend you start immediatly looking at the sets to find out why you like them / why they make you slow, fast and where.
Using Bob Smith wonderful tool VHPA will help you there, because it will give you a graphical representation of the different parameters while setting up the car.

http://www.vehicle-analyser.com/

Don't worry this much about lap times, for SO-town rev 1.45 with the XRG is already pretty fast in my opinion. It should take some laps practicing to get there!
Quote from SilverArrows77 : (btw, dont bother too much with watching world record hotlap replays, they like their setups are often that extreme and on the edge that you will just frustrate yourself trying to achieve what they have done.)

Tis true that most of the WR holders use their own setups, that are probably very different than race S etc, however, the one thing that can be learnt from the top10 hotlaps, is the fastest lines, and once perfected a fast line will be essential regardless of the setup.

My general quick tips for improving laptimes would be; use all the road when you can, slow in, fast out, keep the car going forwards not sideways at all times, dont change up until the red "shift light" comes on, and practise practise practise.

Some people tend to turn the wheels too much around corners (squeeling noises) steering less often works better.

SD.

Is my XR GT broken?
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG