The online racing simulator
Automatically changing wheel rotation in Windows
I don't know if this is possible - actually I doubt it because then I would surely have seen it mentioned in the forums numerous times - but I thought I'd ask here just to be sure.

Would it be possible to change the Wheel Rotation settings in Windows according to what car you select in LFS? Like if you choose a STD car the settings in Windows are changed to 720° rotation, if you switch to a FOX it's changed to 450° and so on.

I know you can use the Logitech profiler to setup profiles, but then you still have to manually change the rotation settings when you switch to a car with a different rotation.
I also know that you can just set your wheel to 720° in Windows and set the wheel turn compensation to 1 in the game, that way both wheels' movements will always correspond, whatever the car. But then if you're driving a FOX, you can physically turn the wheel 720°, and it'll just stop in the game after 450°. The point being that you don't physically feel any "lock".

So I was thinking, you have the <car>.lfs files where you can put a bunch of stuff in to adapt certain settings whenever you choose that car, like shifter method, button assignments, FFB, and who knows what else. So I was wondering if it was in any way possible to make it run a file or application. If that's possible, then you would need to have a way of changing the wheel's rotation settings in Windows through a .bat file. If that were possible as well, then you could just make different .bat files for the different rotation settings, and then make LFS run the desired .bat file upon selecting car.

Am I making sense here? And if so, does anyone think this - or something similar - would be possible?
#2 - buedi
I mentioned something similar several times. In Richard Burns Rallye for the PS2 they did just apply max. Force when max. Steering wheel lock was reached (the same like the Profiler does if you set a Limit in Windows). The G25 does not have a mechanical lock, so the only possible way for the Profiler and for LFS is and would be to apply maximum Force if you reach i.e. 270° or 540°, whatever° (depends on which car you are). Sadly this is still not implemented which makes me sad. Switching to the Profiler and setting the new lock whenever you change a car is a bit... odd

Who knows... maybe in a future patch we will get it... I don´t know, but I hope...
If it is a logitech wheel...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Logitech\Gaming Software\GlobalDeviceSettings\"Device Name Here"

This is the location where the settings reside.
You could change the values with a script.

Then you could need to re-intialize the controller in windows with a command... A BAT file would do it i think.. to kill LWEMon.exe and then start it like this... C:\Program Files\Logitech\Gaming Software\LWEMon.exe /noui . With the /noui parimeter. I didn't test this, but I think it could work.

To know what car you are getting in you would need to have a insim program to process what script needs to be run.

I don't see any reason why it won't work.

Jay
Quote from jbirdaspec :If it is a logitech wheel...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Logitech\Gaming Software\GlobalDeviceSettings\"Device Name Here"

This is the location where the settings reside.
You could change the values with a script.

Then you could need to re-intialize the controller in windows with a command... A BAT file would do it i think.. to kill LWEMon.exe and then start it like this... C:\Program Files\Logitech\Gaming Software\LWEMon.exe /noui . With the /noui parimeter. I didn't test this, but I think it could work.

To know what car you are getting in you would need to have a insim program to process what script needs to be run.

I don't see any reason why it won't work.

Jay

Hmm, sounds a bit more complicated than I thought, but I'm glad that you think it's possible at least I'd been looking in the registry but couldn't find anything. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Now I just need to go read up on BAT files and how to edit/change/overwrite the values

Thanks again!

EDIT: except that I don't have a "Gaming Software" entry anywhere. See attached screenshot.

Quote from obsolum :Hmm, sounds a bit more complicated than I thought, but I'm glad that you think it's possible at least I'd been looking in the registry but couldn't find anything. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Now I just need to go read up on BAT files and how to edit/change/overwrite the values

Thanks again!

EDIT: except that I don't have a "Gaming Software" entry anywhere. See attached screenshot.

The easiest way to make file to change registry values is to first create a folder where you will keep some .reg files. You can make .reg files by right clicking the folder (in the registy) and clicking export to save the values to your folder(1st folder) as .reg files, after you have make a wheel setup that is. at that point you would need to do this in notepad:

c:\wheel_regs_folder\setup01.reg

save as all files with the .bat file extension. Make a different reg file and bat file for each wheel config you want.

Then figure out how to initialize the new settings... not sure how to go about doing that, but I am sure you can....I think...

Jay Odom
Quote from jbirdaspec :The easiest way to make file to change registry values is to first create a folder where you will keep some .reg files. You can make .reg files by right clicking the folder (in the registy) and clicking export to save the values to your folder(1st folder) as .reg files, after you have make a wheel setup that is. at that point you would need to do this in notepad:

c:\wheel_regs_folder\setup01.reg

save as all files with the .bat file extension. Make a different reg file and bat file for each wheel config you want.

Then figure out how to initialize the new settings... not sure how to go about doing that, but I am sure you can....I think...

Jay Odom

Alright, that makes sense. The only problem is I can't seem to find anything in the registry that actually contains my wheel settings. Nothing. At all I've looked in other places in the registry, in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Logitech/Gaming Software there's also nothing. Bizarre...
Okay, I found where the G25 settings are stored in the registry thanks to Moose's post here. There's a whole bunch of stuff in there, but I haven't found what entry contains the rotation settings yet. Still, I'm getting closer!
Isn't "WingMan Software" the same as "Gaming Software", but just older?
Quote from shaun463 :Isn't "WingMan Software" the same as "Gaming Software", but just older?

You're right. I had the old drivers installed.

Quote from Turbo Dad :The Logitech drivers have a tick box to “allow game to adjust settings” but lfs doesn't yet do anything with it.
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=42083

Read that thread, downloaded and installed the new drivers.

So now I've got this:

and these values:

The OperatingRange is obviously the rotation settings.

So now I've tried what jbirdaspec said, exported the 720° profile, went into the settings panel and changed it to 200°, and then ran the .reg file I had just created. Then checked the settings panel again and indeed, it was changed back to 720°. So that's all good. Thanks!

Now all I need is a way to run the .reg file from within LFS, preferably - but not necessarily - automated, upon selecting the car. Like I said in my original post, I wondered if it would be possible to open/run a file by putting an entry in the XFG.lfs file, for example "open C:\<user>\LFS_720.reg" or whatever, but that doesn't seem to work. So... I'm still stuck
Quote from obsolum :You're right. I had the old drivers installed.

Read that thread, downloaded and installed the new drivers.

So now I've got this:

and these values:

The OperatingRange is obviously the rotation settings.

So now I've tried what jbirdaspec said, exported the 720° profile, went into the settings panel and changed it to 200°, and then ran the .reg file I had just created. Then checked the settings panel again and indeed, it was changed back to 720°. So that's all good. Thanks!

Now all I need is a way to run the .reg file from within LFS, preferably - but not necessarily - automated, upon selecting the car. Like I said in my original post, I wondered if it would be possible to open/run a file by putting an entry in the XFG.lfs file, for example "open C:\<user>\LFS_720.reg" or whatever, but that doesn't seem to work. So... I'm still stuck

I did a bit of testing last night with making the settings take effect. A easy way is to kill LWEMon.exe and restart it. I would set the wheel to 450 degrees, run a 200 degrees reg file, then stop and start the logitech profiler and the wheel instantly jump into 200 mode. If you want to kill a process you can use pstools to do it easy. Just dump them in your PATH, system32 folder, Home Directory or whatever is in your path.

If you want to run this inside LFS you will need to write a program to do it. I would get VB.net (free version) from microsoft and use it. There will be more options running from a development suite to execute the commands you want. You could even make insim buttons for your lfs client to select different settings. if you wanted to put the time into it.
Quote from jbirdaspec :I did a bit of testing last night with making the settings take effect. A easy way is to kill LWEMon.exe and restart it. I would set the wheel to 450 degrees, run a 200 degrees reg file, then stop and start the logitech profiler and the wheel instantly jump into 200 mode. If you want to kill a process you can use pstools to do it easy. Just dump them in your PATH, system32 folder, Home Directory or whatever is in your path.

If you want to run this inside LFS you will need to write a program to do it. I would get VB.net (free version) from microsoft and use it. There will be more options running from a development suite to execute the commands you want. You could even make insim buttons for your lfs client to select different settings. if you wanted to put the time into it.

I rarely ever use the Profiler software, as it doesn't add anything compared to the normal settings panel IMO (not for LFS anyway), so that wouldn't be a problem. I tested it earlier as well without the Profiler running, and just running the .reg file is enough to make the changes take effect. Doesn't get easier than that, IMO.

But yeah, there's no easy way of running the .reg files from within LFS. And even if there were, Windows always asks you to confirm if you want to run the .reg file, so that would be another obstacle

I used to do some programming in VB, but I'm very very rusty and I haven't the faintest idea of programming something for Insim so I don't think I'll be taking that leap yet.

With a little luck Scawen may have added an option in the next patch to let LFS change the wheel settings

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG