The online racing simulator
Setups needs to go..
(176 posts, started )
Quote from [DUcK] :Well no, you don't have the amount of options that LFS provides, but if I did, I'd sure as hell be using them.

Well even if you had more options in real life could you use them? I'm sure you haven't used all the options you have currently got due to that thing called a hole in your wallet

As always my stance is give us more options but allow server side restrictions :melting:
Quote from Not Sure :
So one could say there is nothing unfair here, we all have access to WR-sets.
My point is that I would like to race with realistic setups WITHOUT it being a disadvantage. If you don't see this as an issue, that is fine too.

LFS is supposed to be a simulator, remember?

Exactly
Well it doesn't cost money to change ARB stiffness, ride height or tyre pressures Glenn
And besides, LFS doesn't involve money, so why should you pretend you've got a budget?
As for the locked diff conspiracy, we use a mini spool (locked diff basically), and it turns in fine.
I can't understand why everyone thinks locked diffs in LFS are so unrealistic. The setups they are used on, are so oversteery that of course it will turn in, besides, the fast guys usually slide the rear end of the car around.
The only thing different I find is that it's much easier to get out of the pits in LFS with locked diff than it is in the cup car
Quote from Not Sure :Locked diffs is one example.

In something like an XFG and entry level racing you are actually likely to see locked diffs in real life if rules allow it, as it is nasty but very cheap alternative to LSD. There is not too much in the setup perameters in LFS that couldn't be replicated in real life my dad for instant cut and rewelded suspenion parts to get the camber he wanted .

Don't get me wrong though I don't particularly like the fact that just by changing to someone elses set when I've jumped on for a quick race can at times see an improvement in lap times by up to 2 sec a lap Hence why I'd really like to see some cars restricted or better imo would be server side restrictions, which I'm sure some would support (perfect for CTRA1).
Quote from [DUcK] :Well it doesn't cost money to change ARB stiffness, ride height or tyre pressures Glenn
And besides, LFS doesn't involve money, so why should you pretend you've got a budget?
As for the locked diff conspiracy, we use a mini spool (locked diff basically), and it turns in fine.
I can't understand why everyone thinks locked diffs in LFS are so unrealistic. The setups they are used on, are so oversteery that of course it will turn in, besides, the fast guys usually slide the rear end of the car around.
The only thing different I find is that it's much easier to get out of the pits in LFS with locked diff than it is in the cup car

Because LFS should simulate competition regulations. Limitations to setup should be as well considered as limitations to engine performance, weight reduction, tyres, and wheel size are. It shouldn't just be a case of "allow everything because I coded it and want people to notice".

If a series which allows myriad adjustments to everything is being simulated then fine. If not, then restrict things accordingly.
Quote from [DUcK] :As for the locked diff conspiracy, we use a mini spool (locked diff basically), and it turns in fine.

Cough don't those mini spool diff act as an open dif in coast (power off) mode that would make them turn in easy

Quote from [DUck] :Well it doesn't cost money to change ARB stiffness, ride height or tyre pressures Glenn

Got those new headers yet?
I wouldn't have thoght so as it holds both axle's together therefore making it locked, I may be wrong, but that's my understanding of it.
Yeah we got sponsored them

You make a good point, sinbad.
Quote from Not Sure :
My point is that I would like to race with realistic setups WITHOUT it being a disadvantage. If you don't see this as an issue, that is fine too.

LFS is supposed to be a simulator, remember?

Since when was using locked diff an advantage? If it was such a big advantage then everyone would use it, but they don't. Even in MoE race, quite alot of teams used clutch pack (I know we did)

Boris, how do you know all of these fast people who make setups don't have any experience? Why don't you go drive one of Norbis setups?

On the note of realism, I used to drive a corsa, which is somewhat similar to the XFG, if the XFG handled like my "realistic" corsa, I'm pretty sure the only people left driving it would be on the Cruise servers.
I kind of agree... but then again, you can alter anything you want on LFS.. and rightly so, I think.

Besides, with all of these setup sharing websites, there's no excuse. It wouldn't overly bother some people if they were restricted though (such as me), because it would mean there'd be more chance of a closer race, but still, I'm undecided abou the whole thing.

Quote from [DUcK] :I wouldn't have thoght so as it holds both axle's together therefore making it locked, I may be wrong, but that's my understanding of it.
Yeah we got sponsored them

Your spot on Ducky don't know what i was thinking (me brain is too rusty at the moment :razz Great to hear you got the gear you were after. Looking forward to the up coming season

Interesting with a quick google search and some reading of different forums just how many people do use spool diffs (locked diff) in both racing and their street cars. The most common comment that stood out was that a locker is much more predictable than a LSD, which interestingly enough was the same reason it was so widely used in LFS...
I like it the way it is personally, you can gain a whole new perspective on a car just by changing minor things, it can make you love it instead of hate it. It actually keeps more interest for me, even though i don't make setups, its almost like driving a different car intirely, so why would you want to limit that experience. Like has been said the VW will be a mule, so maybe this thread is a little early
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :I like it the way it is personally, you can gain a whole new perspective on a car just by changing minor things, it can make you love it instead of hate it. It actually keeps more interest for me, even though i don't make setups, its almost like driving a different car intirely, so why would you want to limit that experience. Like has been said the VW will be a mule, so maybe this thread is a little early

Mmhm... +1 indeed
Quote from Bawbag :
On the note of realism, I used to drive a corsa, which is somewhat similar to the XFG, if the XFG handled like my "realistic" corsa, I'm pretty sure the only people left driving it would be on the Cruise servers.

There are plenty of small fwd hatchbacks in existence with little power that are a joy to drive. I'd question the "realism" of LFS if they could not give a similar spec car the same stock suspension settings without it becoming terrible or terribly boring to drive.
Quote from Boris Lozac :One of the things that putted me off from LFS is the whole setups nonsense. I am sick of being forced to use unrealistic and rubish setups if i want to be fast.. Some of them totally ruin the car till it's no longer recognizable.

That may be...
But every set that I have ever used that was competitive AND setup for longer races has always been quite reasonable. Sure, some used locked diffs, and tire pressures are a bit goofy in LFS, but other than that, they had perfectly reasonable spring, damper, and ARB settings.

Find some of the sets used by the good teams in MoE or IGTC or other top series. I think you will find that most of them are quite reasonable. They are well within the bounds you would find on a real car.

I think extreme sets are put together for one of two reasons.

The person building the set doesn't really know what they are doing and because something in the set is totally goofy (but within normal ranges) they have to compensate with something totally unrealistic somewhere else.

Or

People are compensating or exploiting some quirks in the LFS physics.

Most of the time, however, this type of set is only good for hot lapping or short sprint races. They are either to unpredictable to drive in a longer race, or they will eat tires.

I do want to see some limits placed on setup options for some of the cars. A more limited range of spring and damper settings would be OK for example. But I don't want to see things to the level of only allowing changes to tire pressure and maybe camber. If you are going to race a car, unless it is a showroom stock class, you are going to make changes to make the car faster.
Quote from Hallen :If you are going to race a car, unless it is a showroom stock class, you are going to make changes to make the car faster.

That's the clincher. You'll do whatever the regulations allow and no more, and not just to the chassis, but to the engine, body and interior too but LFS draws a line there arbitrarily.

If they'd just take the time to make a decision about what level of racing the "classes" and cars in LFS represent and then mimic real world series regulations and restrictions (and vehicle appearances) nobody could argue with it whatever their decisions. It's the vague randomness, the not really knowing if a car's supposed to be a road and track car or a rather highly prepped race car, which confuses people.
-
(scipy) DELETED by scipy : cant handle this amount of stupidity
+1 for fixed setups on road cars, if it's for the good of realism.

On the other hand i am afraid that after it's (ever) done, cars will be not so much fun to drive anymore... but since they're fictional (majority), devs can make them drivable, i hope.
Maybe after VWS has been released, some thought could be given to restrict the vehicle setups. And definitely NO SERVER OPTIONS for the setup limitations, we have enough options already..

If the car doesn't have a rollcage, it's a roadcar - only allow toe and maybe camber changes (depending on suspension type). Tyre compound & pressures should be free, but knobbly and hybrid tyres should be left for rallycross tracks only. No changes to gearbox or differential. Ackermann should be locked. Maybe a few choices of fixed value springs and dampers for TBO class, as well as FZ5 and the LX cars. RAC should run whatever it runs in real life (with a special version for Tege to do tests :nod.

Single seaters should have setup options like in real life, with correct accuracy.

Tin top racecars could very well be as is, but some limitation to the accuracy of adjustments. Springs at 10N/mm steps, dampers with one math value and then steps (clicks) to fine tune etc.. Gearboxes with realistic & fixed shaft distance -> limited amount of possible gear sets.

Locked diffs could be allowed, but if the physics are fine tuned then they should be pretty much unusable.

On the other hand, LFS is so much a work in progress that locking the setups could result in changes in class balancing if there's ever a physics overhaul..
There's no rule that you can only use knobbly tyres off road, look at all of these 4x4s (none of which actually go offroad I may add!)
Yes, what Huru-aito suggests is exactly how I envision it some day. I don't really mind the open setups as they are now, but it would definitely be an improvement if more restricted setups moved from the VWS to the other cars at some point in the future.
IMO

Somethings in setup are not realistic at all. The car doesnt react to changes like it should. I can't use my real life experience for this, because somethings are just not right ( one car more then the other btw )

I like the idea of making the cars in forms of cupracing. Limited setup options, but still enough to make a change in laptimes etc. ( good setuppers should be rewarded ) For example make the fox regulations Like the FRenault2.0. XFG like clio cup etc etc. Change the gearing to SHORT MEDIUM LONG also.

gr Nick
LFS has its limitations.

You can change things in the engine... you have the intake restrictor. That's enough for now. Many club classes only allow minor changes to engines like a performance "chip". That's about it. Plus "buying" headers and other stuff to put on the car just makes things messy and complicated for racing online. You want to talk about class balancing issues then?

You can change the weight. Again, that is enough for now.

Just because a car is faster (eg, it is the R version), doesn't necessarily mean that only the faster car should have adjustments. I have seen plenty of street machines that have been modified for track/street use. Camber plates are relatively cheap and easy to install, many also have caster adjustments. Adjustable coil-over suspensions are easily attainable for just about any car. Fender rolling, wider tires, aero devices, diff changes, brake upgrades, etc. I have seen it all and I have seen it on cars that might surprise you.

All race cars, and I do mean all, have a roll cage. Period. You don't race without one. You can't really use that in LFS as a delimiter though. I view the XRG as a "prepared" class car in club racing. You should be able to make a pretty wide range of adjustments to it.

What I don't want to see is setup capabilities so limited that everybody just pushes the sliders up and to the right and there ya go... that's the fastest set. There must be enough variability to allow people to make both good and bad sets and to accommodate different driving styles. It's all in the fun.
Quote from Boris Lozac :Fast LX sets are AWEFULL. Period.

You feel that way because you can't drive them. Period.
Quote from Boris Lozac :
I don't know how to make a set, so if i want to be fast i have to use some random set.

So learn. I did. No one taught me. I found out what made the car handle as I wanted and went from there.

A more complete understanding of how damping works was acquired later in college while studying Laplace and step response as they relate to waves, specifically electrical waves. Bob Smith's setup analyzer helped further.

I started way back in 2003 (and apparently so did you). Since then, I made sets that lead me to win many races in LOTA, GFC, and OWRL. I also helped fine-tune the set that lead to CoRe Racing winning the 2008 MoE 24HR race in the GT2 class. Two of our top drivers were able to go 23 laps per stint with that set, longer than any other team in the GT2 class, and it probably could have gone at least another lap or 2.
Quote from Forbin :You feel that way because you can't drive them. Period.

... Bob Smiths setup analyzer helped further.

Well, he did say "Awefull" which probably means the same as "Full of Awe". I take that to mean he is humbled by the LX.

Bob's setup analyzer is way cool. It will help in understanding what setup changes do.
Quote from Hallen :Well, he did say "Awefull" which probably means the same as "Full of Awe". I take that to mean he is humbled by the LX.

Bob's setup analyzer is way cool. It will help in understanding what setup changes do.

The LX, especially the LX6, suffers no fools.

The OP clearly lacks the skills necessary to drive an LX fast and therefore thinks all setups should meet his idea of an acceptable level of driveability and a lack of adjustability to suit his lack of learning ability.

Setups needs to go..
(176 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG