The online racing simulator
Removing the S1/S2 separation
(119 posts, started )

Poll : What do you think of "merging" S1 & S2 licenses (see 1st post)?

I agree, let S1 connect only to S2 servers with S1 content.
I disagree, they shoud buy S2, if they want to race on S2 servers with S1 content
I agree, let S1 connect to all servers, but only spectate on S2 tracks.
Quote from Nitemare :problem is, that s1 users who come just to watch, block space for s2 users who want to play...

IMO it's not a big problem limiting the number of S1 spectators on a server with S2 track to 2 per server maybe...
Quote from Nitemare :anyway,, i think the complications this feature would bring will outweight the gain from it...

well name some of these complications...
Quote from Chaos :IMO it's not a big problem limiting the number of S1 spectators on a server with S2 track to 2 per server maybe...

The idea isn't viable. The system is fine the way it is at the moment. Demo is to get a taste of it and S1 is for a little bit more, s2 is for the whole package.

It would be so much more work for the devs and it would only benefit the people who are so tight they can't pay out 12 pounds for an S2 licence.

Devs have more important things to do than that.
Quote from Chaos :well name some of these complications...

1] mainly the security issues, as was already pointed out... if you can see decrypted cars and tracks in game, you are just few variables away from getting complete acces to them

2] need for altering communication protocol of lfs, to allow "just spectating" connections

3] more bandwidth usage for master server, and s2 servers

4] i can imagine, that if there was an option in server setup for specifiing amount non-s2 users on server, most admins will put it to zero anyway...
Well I think everybody can buy S2, who really wants to, 12Ł is not that much. And the free demo is more than enough to show what you'll get, so I don't see the sense of this idea. illepall
Quote from snewham :The idea isn't viable. The system is fine the way it is at the moment. Demo is to get a taste of it and S1 is for a little bit more, s2 is for the whole package.

It would be so much more work for the devs and it would only benefit the people who are so tight they can't pay out 12 pounds for an S2 licence.

Devs have more important things to do than that.

well I don't think it is a big problem from programmer's point of view...
And you are wrong that only those with S1 license would benefit from it...
S2 license holders almost don't go to S1 servers (unless to meet a friend), so there would be more servers with TBO, LX4, FR in S2 (not many of these in S2 nowadays).
AND
From the customers point of view: Well what the hell 12 pounds are fine, I'll pay that, but 24? Naah too much... So with my suggested system, this guy would enjoy S1 (with a lot more drivers than there are now in S1), but from time to time he would see a FZ50 passing him, then the RA, etc. Give him a month a he pays the other 12 pounds..
Quote from Nitemare :1]
4] i can imagine, that if there was an option in server setup for specifiing amount non-s2 users on server, most admins will put it to zero anyway...

exactly, and how many servers are there in S2 that even have S1 cars enabled?

and minus from that the servers who's admins don't want S1/demo users on their server

and you're left with oh ... umm.. 1 or 2 servers. And the devs are going to spend time to implement this why??
Quote from Nitemare :1] mainly the security issues, as was already pointed out... if you can see decrypted cars and tracks in game, you are just few variables away from getting complete acces to them

2] need for altering communication protocol of lfs, to allow "just spectating" connections

3] more bandwidth usage for master server, and s2 servers

1, if you have half the code decrypted, then there is no prob decryptyng the other half. Imo not a problem to check (server side) license = used car (as are cars checked for tweaks)

2, imo not needed, just a switch using the race full block: S2 track, S1 connection -> race full, you can't join

3, questionable, but I don't think it would be that much...

4, why would they? even now there can only be 20 cars in the race, but many servers have 23 conns allowed...
Quote from Chaos :1, if you have half the code decrypted, then there is no prob decryptyng the other half. Imo not a problem to check (server side) license = used car (as are cars checked for tweaks)

2, imo not needed, just a switch using the race full block: S2 track, S1 connection -> race full, you can't join

3, questionable, but I don't think it would be that much...

4, why would they? even now there can only be 20 cars in the race, but many servers have 23 conns allowed...

why are you still arguing?

it is a bad idea because it is impracticle, time consuming and not needed.
Quote from snewham :Demo also uses a totally different system and has no damage and so it wouldn't be compatable.

illepall

Did you know there is also a S2 demo?
that has been thought about in early stages but the downsides clearly outweight the good sides.
avis will have to do, to show s2 content at a distance to a demo tester.
Quote from ORION :illepall

Did you know there is also a S2 demo?

err yes i did.. it does use a different system cause it has different cars and tracks. whatever, i don't really know how it works lol but I do know that it would mean a lot more work for the devs than they are doing already and it is not needed or wanted.
Quote from snewham :exactly, and how many servers are there in S2 that even have S1 cars enabled?

and minus from that the servers who's admins don't want S1/demo users on their server

and you're left with oh ... umm.. 1 or 2 servers. And the devs are going to spend time to implement this why??

exactly, this way we would have more "S1" severs... There was a cry for a diverse "serverfield" before... Or don't S2 licensed users want to drive the TBO class, Lx4, etc. anymore?
and please leave the demo out... now we are talking about merging S1 + S2 only...
Quote from snewham :why are you still arguing?

it is a bad idea because it is impracticle, time consuming and not needed.

because i don't think its a bad idea, not much time consuming and it would be useful for everyone who paid for LFS...

EDIT> moderators, please change the global topic to S1/S2 only (delete "demo/") Thanks..
Quote from Chaos :exactly, this way we would have more "S1" severs... There was a cry for a diverse "serverfield" before... Or don't S2 licensed users want to drive the TBO class, Lx4, etc. anymore?
and please leave the demo out... now we are talking about merging S1 + S2 only...

TBH, if there was demand for more S1 servers, then S1 teams or players would pay to get servers put up on S1 themselves. The last time I looked there was a very little amount on there which shows that there obviously isn't a high demand for them.

And obviously no they don't want to drive S1 classes anymore due to the new S2 classes/cars. People would much rather drive them.

I run 3 different servers and I definetlely wont be supporting, let alone enabling any kind of option like this.
Quote from snewham :TBH, if there was demand for more S1 servers, then S1 teams or players would pay to get servers put up on S1 themselves. The last time I looked there was a very little amount on there which shows that there obviously isn't a high demand for them.

And obviously no they don't want to drive S1 classes anymore due to the new S2 classes/cars. People would much rather drive them.

I run 3 different servers and I definetlely wont be supporting, let alone enabling any kind of option like this.

Who said anything about demand for S1 servers? I've seen S2 servers with GTi/GT on FernBay just yesterday and there were 9 drivers there, what I am suggesting, allow S1 only licensed drivers join the race on such a server.

well that's your opinion, but I would like to see someone elses too... or am I the only one wanting to have all kinds of car classes on servers?
Quote from Chaos :Who said anything about demand for S1 servers? I've seen S2 servers with GTi/GT on FernBay just yesterday and there were 9 drivers there, what I am suggesting, allow S1 only licensed drivers join the race on such a server.

with this i agree... just enable people with s1 to join s2 servers, BUT only those with s1 content specified... and if server admin changes server specs to allow s2 content, s1 users will be kicked
Quote from Nitemare :with this i agree... just enable people with s1 to join s2 servers, BUT only those with s1 content specified... and if server admin changes server specs to allow s2 content, s1 users will be kicked

well that's excatly where my idea originated... then it continued to: why kick them, let them spectate...
Hey I really like this idea,should be quite workable.

s1/s2 differ only by content its not like a 2004 vs 2005 edition of a game so.

A race at blackwood that allows all cars(or an s1 car) will allow s1 people to join and race with s1 cars, and they get to see the new s2 cars going past them in most cases.

s1 drivers cant join s2 tracks or servers with s2 cars only allowed.( not even to watch s2 cars only; at an s1 track)

There is no need for server options to set s1/s2 mode, in fact you wont need to alter the server code at all. The client will decide what car and track you can use. It does this allready so there is no added security risk.

s2 users have no more right to race with an s1 car at an s1 track than s1 drivers, I dont see why you want to kick them for an s2 driver.

Remember you pay for added content not privilege, no first and second class citizens please.

None of this s1 drivers connecting to an s2 track and being able to spectate, they can see the track layouts and the car specs at the main website.

If you start to think of s2 as an expansion pack you realise that this is way it should have been in the first place.
I paid for S2, and quite simply I don't want people being able to race in my servers if they have paid less than me.

There are plenty of screenshots, movies and members that show that S2 is a step forward over S1. And demo users should be happy to have the worlds finest racing game for free (although only parts of it).
Quote from tristancliffe :I paid for S2, and quite simply I don't want people being able to race in my servers if they have paid less than me.

There are plenty of screenshots, movies and members that show that S2 is a step forward over S1. And demo users should be happy to have the worlds finest racing game for free (although only parts of it).

exactly
Quote from tristancliffe :I paid for S2, and quite simply I don't want people being able to race in my servers if they have paid less than me.

well again... if you race at Aston with any car, the people would not be able to join (maybe spectate, if allowed), but tell me, where the hell is the difference if you set up a race on FE Green with the MRT5, why the person who paid for the S1 content shoud not be able to join? He has the same right as you, to be there!

Or are you thinking: I paid 12 pounds more so why should I race this lowly "not even driver" who has not? He's some kind of rubbish that I don't want to come into contact with?
you shouldn't be able to get any kind of S2 content if you haven't payed for it. That includes spectating.
Quote from snewham :you shouldn't be able to get any kind of S2 content if you haven't payed for it. That includes spectating.

Well then no spectating... Just allow those with S1 license to drive on S2 server with FE Green and MRT5 set up...
am I talking to a wall or what?
and another thought: should they be allowed to spectate, what kind of access to S2 is that? The only thing you gain is that you envy those who can race, but you can't > in time you will buy S2...

Removing the S1/S2 separation
(119 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG