The online racing simulator
Bug in the BMW AVI d/l on main LFS Site
Not sure if it's the file or my computer but when i d/load it and open the folder i d/l to, my computer and drwatson lockup and the only way I can delete the file is to do a search and quickly right click and delete before send to microsoft message pops up? as I can't open the folder it is d/loaded to.

It says something about a avi problem in the error message?

Sorry that is all the info I can say being a computerillepall
Do you have the current XViD video codec?
Quote from Tweaker :Do you have the current XViD video codec?

u doesnt really need the current codecs... ive installed a codec pack before almost 2 years and its still playing everything
But still, have codec or don't have codec, it doesn't work for everyone, I can tell you that.
#6 - filur
MPlayer for those who doesn't want to litter their pc with codecs.
or google for vlc player.
#8 - filur
VLC has a GUI, what's the sport in that?
Quote from filur :VLC has a GUI, what's the sport in that?

Well he is trying to play an AVI file, and to play, you'd need a GUI, wouldn't you?

This isn't for the video on the web or anything
try klite mega codec pack. It has all the codecs you will need and its free
Thanks fellas , the codec pack from Victor worked.

The ol PC didn't like it not being there though , it caused all sorts trouble.

Thanks again dudes
I must be having the same problem. Just single clicking on the avi messed up my computer. I have to bring up the task manager and end explorer.exe to get back to normal. I can't even drag the avi file into the trash, or anywhere else. I'll download the codec pack and see if that fixes it.
Quote from NetDemon01 :I must be having the same problem. Just single clicking on the avi messed up my computer. I have to bring up the task manager and end explorer.exe to get back to normal. I can't even drag the avi file into the trash, or anywhere else. I'll download the codec pack and see if that fixes it.

Drag it to the trash?

The last time I had a PC where I could drag things to something called the trash was a 386 with Geos Ensemble. :lol:
Quote from KiDCoDEa :or google for vlc player.

best playar on teh web!!11
Quote from Tweaker :.. to play, you'd need a GUI, wouldn't you?

MPlayer works by commandline ..
mplayer [options] [ file | URL | playlist | - ]
mplayer [global options] file1 [specific options] [file2] [specific options]
mplayer dvd://[title | [start_title]-end_title ] [options]
mplayer [cdda|cddb]://track[-endtrack][:speed][/device] [options]
mplayer [file|mms[t]|http|http_proxy|rt[s]p|ftp|udp|unsv]://
[user:passwd@]URL[:port] [options] ..

.. etc, tiny list of options can be found here.

I actually just set it as default app, which also works.
Codecs problems.
Hi all,

Even Victor posted that codec pack I never recomended the codec packs.They just usually mess the system and the only help is complete re-instlation of the system.

With every new machine I installed to my friends,me or whoever I always installed following items in that order:
official WMP(ver. 10 is latest one)
Divx codec(dont install the pro version)
Xvid codec
AC3 codec
Winamp for OGG.
and also some DVD player.

I never had then or any of my friends problems running any video file.I can garantee it to you.
@filur: Looks about as userfriendly as nKPro...

*runs*
Quote from AndroidXP :@filur: Looks about as userfriendly as nKPro...

World of difference, mplayer can be configured to your liking (and beyond), nkpro can hardly be configured at all.

In essence mplayer and VLC are basically the same thing, mplayer is less bloated by default while carrying a few million options if you really want them (there's even GUI's!), it's a bit faster and easier on cpu, and it plays anything and everything, it also has an encoder featuring pretty much the same amount of options.

It also works by just dragging and dropping a file onto the .exe, so it's not really that hard to use.
ACE Mega CoDeCS Pack Pro (6.3 is current atm I think) and The Core Media Player (http://www.tcmp.org/) have never failed to play anything. Install only one (this) pack and there will be no conflicts and it all plays.
just use ffdshow ... the only codec pack worth mentioning (and the only one that doesnt create a total mess)
Quote from Shotglass :just use ffdshow ... the only codec pack worth mentioning (and the only one that doesnt create a total mess)

Pain to make it work with S/PDIF though
Quote from tristancliffe :Pain to make it work with S/PDIF though

i dont use the audio codecs in ffd at all ... only the mpeg4 ones
When I downloaded the vid from the liveforspeed.com website, it didn't work very well either, but when I downloaded it from one of the mirrors someone posted it worked fine, without looking for a codec.
#24 - J.B.
Quote from Shotglass :just use ffdshow ... the only codec pack worth mentioning (and the only one that doesnt create a total mess)

Agree.

Here's a list of codecs that allow me to play just about any media file out there.

ffdshow
Haali Media Splitter
Nvidia Purevideo decoder (Payware)
quicktime alternative
real alternative
CoreAVC
CoreFlac
CoreVorbis

And use either Zoom Player Pro or Media Player Classic.
Quote from J.B. :And use either Zoom Player Pro or Media Player Classic.

i still prefer wmp 6.4 ... no need for a 3rd party player

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG