The online racing simulator
How to increase your framerates of an nVidia GPU.
** THIS ONLY WORKS WITH nVidia CARDS **

Hey guys. I've been looking around a lot and I've noticed that people are getting low frames on LFS. I figured I'd make a tutorial on how to get your framerates up!

I originally did this for World of Warcraft, and i had checked to see if it had increased my FPS on LFS...and with the 50frame increase, i have to say; i was blown away.

Here are my specs etc.
Processor:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5800+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory:
4024MB DDR2 Ram
Hard Drive:
500 GB
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GSO

-------------------------
Everything on max, FULL AA/AF at 1440:900

I see around an average of 150 FPS!! and an average (while overclocked) 193!

Anyways, lets get on with the turorial.

First off, you're going to want to go download RivaTuner.

RivaTuner link: http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=rivatuner

It is a simple program that will show you Temperatures and allow you to controll your Fanspeeds as well as overclocking tabs and other things.

After doing that, and installing, open up the program and head to Main/Driver settings and click the Customize button. Do not hit the Target Adapter Customize button. Click on the Direct Draw and Direct 3D settings and a window will pop up.

Now, you will be configuring things in the Mipmapping and Intellisample. On the Mipmap tab, turn your LOD Bios to around -0.5 and make sure only "Enable User Mipmap" is enabled. Now onto Intellisample. Enable Trilinear optimization and Enable Anisotropic mip and turn the Intellisample Settings to "High Performance"

Now for part 2 of the Increased Framerate turorial.

Head to the Main/Driver settings and click the Customize button again, and click the 3rd tab (OpenGL Settings)

Turn the Mipmap LOD to -0.5 and go to your Intellsample tab. Put the Intellisample Settings to High performance and check ALL 4 BOXES BELOW.
After that, you will see a HQ TLF and HP TLF, move the bar to High Performance TLF. Click the box on "Override Intellisample Texture Compression Controll" and put the Texture Compression mode to "Force on" and you're all set!

** You may want to go into your Nvidia Controll panel and edit some of the settings in there, but being every card is different, it is something you're going to have to mess around with **
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

If you see a decrease in performance, or don't like the changes (Whatever they may be) reset to default and try again with your own custom settings! Feel free to message me on Xfire or my email (which should be in my sig below ) Post your Befores and Afters of your framerates!

Good'ay and Happy racing!
#2 - amp88
Sure thing.
Quote from Yelpats03 :Everything on max, FULL AA/AF at 1440:900

Now onto Intellisample. Enable Trilinear optimization and Enable Anisotropic mip and turn the Intellisample Settings to "High Performance"

great you might as well use no af at all
how to make games looks crap would be a more appropriate title
I have to say already, the framerates are very different. I'm going to be testing it on my other computer soon.

2009-02-01 01:20:46 - LFS (Without tweak)
Frames: 6075 - Time: 33875ms - Avg: 118.287 - Min: 105 - Max: 128

2009-02-01 01:22:55 - LFS (With tweak)
Frames: 6075 - Time: 33969ms - Avg: 178.839 - Min: 149 - Max: 205

Quote from Shotglass :great you might as well use no af at all
how to make games looks crap would be a more appropriate title

I didn't post this for "Awesome quality" i posted it for best performance. If i wanted quality, it would be completely different.
no tweaks needed here
1920x1200 8xAA 16xAF
not possible. Umm yes it is, i just did it. how much money you willing to lay on the line??????

join me in a online race and i will include you in the screenie.
What are your system specs?
intel core i7 920 at 4ghz.
2 evga gtx295's in SLI(quad SLI)
all that is needed to be known.
No tweaks, no hacks no editing. This is my 3dmark vantage run from today
Jesus...i didn't exspect you to have a $4000 computer. I guess 1000 is a lot for QuadSLi

But still, i made this thread to help people out.
no where near 4k in this rig. about 2800 to be exact. i just figured id throw that up there for squirts and giggles.
i havent even overclocked the cards yet.

the above SS shows the cards overclocked but i took the lfs SS without the cards overclocked. i just reinstalled Windows 7 to my SSD and copied LFS over.
You're lucky. I spent 500 bucks on my rig XD

I'm getting a 9800GTX soon
theres no replacement for displacement as they say.
why bother overclocking the i7... it smokes everything with the stock clocks...
overclocking the i7 makes a big difference when you have this much graphics power.
Quote from white92talontsi :intel core i7 920 at 4ghz.
2 evga gtx295's in SLI(quad SLI)
all that is needed to be known.
No tweaks, no hacks no editing.

LFS is very heavily dependent on CPU power not on graphics. It also only uses a single core. I've never seen more than ~550 fps claimed so your 1000 is highly suspect. Take a video of the FPS display...a screenshot isn't very good proof.
taking a video would kill the FPS. come join me in a server!
all the haters will now flock.
an honest person can no longer post something online without being flamed.
Quote from white92talontsi :taking a video would kill the FPS. come join me in a server!
all the haters will now flock.
an honest person can no longer post something online without being flamed.

I meant take a video of the screen using a camera/mobile phone etc. It's a well known fact that people lie on the Internet, so when someone comes along saying they have a system that's vastly ahead of anything else scepticism is the first reaction. The new i7s are impressive CPUs, no doubt and Quad SLi can be very impressive too. However, LFS only uses one core and I'd be doubtful about the performance scaling of SLi/Crossfire (especially when LFS is massively CPU dependent when you throw enough of it at it).
no camera to take video with. i can do a SS with fraps running. thats about it.
EDIT: Damn you amp, beaten! Taking a video won't lower your fps massively, there would still be a lot, and we would take that into account. You can't see other people's fps on a server!
Quote from white92talontsi :no camera to take video with. i can do a SS with fraps running. thats about it.

Screenshots are too easily doctored. How come you can afford to drop $2800 on a PC but can't afford a $75 mobile phone with a video camera?
heres 900. didnt spend a whole lotta time doing it
ok join me in a server. i will tell you when i am taking the SS then post it up on LFS. you can tell if i am editing the picture because it would take me time to edit it.
I just put this rig together friday. and honestly i dont need a camera to take video. I know its real so i dont need to argue over it being real or not.
Quote from white92talontsi :ok join me in a server. i will tell you when i am taking the SS then post it up on LFS. you can tell if i am editing the picture because it would take me time to edit it.
I just put this rig together friday. and honestly i dont need a camera to take video. I know its real so i dont need to argue over it being real or not.

How come you're getting up to 1000 fps when I'm getting about 350fps with a Q9450 @ 3.2 GHz? Think your i7 is 3 times quicker than mine?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG