The online racing simulator
£20 a year to fight piracy?
(47 posts, started )
Gotta love this country. Gets better by the minute!

Quote :I'm already forced to pay the BBC for TV and radio programmes I don't want just because I own a TV set. Now I will have to pay the music industry for music I don't want just because I have a broadband connection to the Internet. Great.

John, York,

This man speaks the truth. **** this.
Quote from wheel4hummer :Why should I give my money away to someone who lives here:

Just so I can listen to their music?

It's not even that. It's 'why should I give away my money as compensation for stealing their music to someone whos music I wouldn't listen to even if you paid me.'

If Madonna and Bono think they can get 20 quid a year off me, they can go f*** themselves. Because it's them and their record companies who it'll be going to. But hey, cocaine doesn't pay for itself does it?
So, after having read the article for a second time, I'm still a teency bit confused.

We would have to pay £20 a year to counter the cost incured by piracy? On the rare occasion they go to arrest someone (normally it'd be an owner of a download website or one of those "watch and download movie here sites"?), we have to pay for that?
It's compensation to millionaires because we *all* pirate thousands and thousand of songs every second. Every single one of us.
#30 - 5haz
Who wants to start a revolution?
RAAAAARRRRRRR Down with society!!

(at least the bits of it that I don't like! )
#32 - 5haz
Anyway, its only been proposed, it has a way to go before it becomes law.

People are going to start getting sick of the Labour nanny state and are going to start voting for the alternatives methinks.
Quote from Crashgate3 :It's compensation to millionaires because we *all* pirate thousands and thousand of songs every second. Every single one of us.

Oh noes!

I think we (as an LFS Forum community) should start a political part, cause I think between us, we can all sort this damn country out....!
I imagine any solution proposed by us would involve too much driving pretend racing cars for the average layman to accept.
#35 - 5haz
It would be frightening to say the least. Especially if certain people somehow became the supreme leaders.

I've got some ideas though, lets call it the Common Sense Party.
I'm in! I'll donate £3.82 plus whatever change I get from the bus..
Anyone interested in making a secret society related to LFS or simracing?
Quote from Crashgate3 :http://technology.timesonline. ... nd_web/article5607744.ece

F*** that.

Way to go, fuel the problem.. I would certainly be getting my £20s worth.

All this shows is how much power and influence the Record/Film industry have with Governments. The problem isn't piracy, it's those industries point blank refusal to realise their business model is out of date and they can't continue to justify the huge profit margins they want to make.

Why their industry should be exempt from having to reduce profit margins to survive like every other industry has had to do, I don't know. Oh sorry, I do.. no competition. They are effectively a monopoly !!
Quote from Gil07 :So this means you pay £20 and can pirate whatever you want?

Exactly. Good point. It can be argued that by paying this surcharge you have effectively been given the green light to go ahead and make use of it. They are almost effectively legitimising piracy. That's really going to help solve the problem of underpaid recording artists isn't it??
Quote from gezmoor :It can be argued that by paying this surcharge you have effectively been given the green light to go ahead and make use of it.

AFAIK the money is not a compensation for the copyrighted stuff that you download. It is meant to pay for an agency whose task it is to find the pirates. However, at 20 quid per user this agency would have several 100 million pounds to burn. Per year. Seems like an awful lot to hire a handful of detectives...
If you don't want zaNu-Labour to have another term, you have to bear in mind the screwed up electoral system in the UK. FPTP means you need to vote tactically in order to keep someone out, as it's a postcode lottery whether your vote means anything or not.

Look which constituency you are in, and see who came where. If Labour won last time, vote for whoever came second last time, they didn't win, vote for someone sensible who could win.
#43 - 5haz
Well my area is conservative, but how do we know that the Conservatives are going to be any better?

It's 2 years before I can vote anyway.
Same with me on both counts ... depends on the timing. I wasn't suggesting the Tories as a first choice though

£20 a year to fight piracy?
(47 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG