The online racing simulator
What do you think about word 'ricer'
(149 posts, started )

Poll : What do you think about word 'ricer'

I dont care, i sometimes use it
Yes its funny and i use that word
No its not funny and i dont use that
Ok, i know that its wierd but still ... a funny poll ...

Some people say that 'ricer' is a racism word and some of them say its not. What do you think?
Quote from hazaky :Some people say that 'ricer' is a racism word

Someone needs to learn what 'racism' means then. As far as i know Ricer isn't a race.
#3 - DeKo
i dont like the 'ricer' term, it lumps everybody into the one big group, means that enthusiasts with a suspect looking impreza for example, get lumped in with all the neds and their corsa's. i dont like it at all.
Well, its doesnt sound 'racism' for me too but some people think that it is. I dont know, made this thread because its interesting to know what people think about that word.
It's a term fairly and unfairly used to describe a certain type of people.....much in the same way that if you follow football you're a thug. Statement which is'nt totallt true, but because of a minority the rest get tarnished with it.
Ricer.

Quote from The Moose :Someone needs to learn what 'racism' means then. As far as i know Ricer isn't a race.

Is there a race called N*gger ? or Y*d ? Of course not.

At the end of the day it's a pejorative word for something that originated in Japan and therefore Japanese people as a whole, so is by definition racist irrespective of whether it's intended use is solely aimed at the Japanese.
#8 - Bean0
It's just another one of those words that is used to descride a groop of people that is so overused it no longer makes any sense, like chav.

It isn't a racist insult because it is aimed at the owner of a particular type of car...the owner could be any colour/nationality.

Depending on your school of thought, it might not even have anything to do with Japan.

Rice - Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements.

So you can have 'riced up' VWs, Pugs, whatever...
Yes, I use it. A lot. I can't stand the moronic bunch of idiots that put big exhausts on their road cars, bigger wheels, bodykits or LED washer jets. If they don't like being called a ricer then they don't have to bolt stupid goodies onto a perfectly good car.
I use it a lot too.

It started out being just about Japanese cars. When I played Motor City Online it was all about my favourite car era - the 1930-1975 muscle car era. So a big petrolhead muscle car fanbase and they really hated Japanese cars. That's the first time I remember hearing the term.

However, because of the current culture of tacking on masses of plastic tat (which obviously makes a car more powerful) and the crazy modding that the Japanese excel at it now seems to be used specifically to describe that. I have a Jap car but I wouldn't describe myself as a ricer. The old MCO crowd might though.

It's all relative and I don't think there's any actual offense meant by it - for the most part.

And Tristan, there's nothing wrong with putting bigger wheels on a car - you've seen how tiny mine are
Yes i use it too, i hate it when you see a Honda Civic hatchback that has the loudest exhaust but is as fast as a moped. Its just totally idiotic, but if you put some nice rims on your car and maybe a some normal but better sounding exhaust than its ok imo. But with wings and side skirts like and AIRPLANE you look like a total douchebag....
I prefer the term "Barried" these days, but it's not quite as widespread
Can a word that once was clearly a racially motivated degrogatory slur (ricer meaning modified japanese car), be now considered non-rasict because it's a term that describes any (badly) modified car?
Yes, absolutely. Of course it can. If it's not a term to do with race then it cannot, by definition, be racist. But I would still use it if it was considered racist. Possibly more than now.
Quote from tristancliffe :Yes, absolutely. Of course it can. If it's not a term to do with race then it cannot, by definition, be racist.

Even if it was originally to do with race?

At what point does it go from being racist to being non-racist?
We use the word 'Jap' as an abbreviation for Japanese, it is used in magazines, we have a car show called Japfest, etc so must not now be considered a racist slur although I am pretty sure it used to be considered one.

Can you imagine if someone tried to put on a car show called Pakifest, there would be uproar.
Quote from Bean0 :We use the word 'Jap' as an abbreviation for Japanese, it is used in magazines, we have a car show called Japfest, etc so must not now be considered a racist slur although I am pretty sure it used to be considered one.

I think you'll find that Jap is still considered a racial slur, at least in Japan it is
when i used to buy MAXPOWER, alot of the styling was known as Jap styling. this usually consisted of crazy front and read bumper/splitters. oversized rear spoilers and very bright colours (usually found on corsas, saxos and nova's) the phrase in maxpower was used instead of always saying "jap styling". a nice car with a subtle bodykit was never refered to as a ricer car. a car that had no styling but had a midified engine was known as a sleeper car (classic mini with a v-tec engine).
so, i thought ricing was like a genre of styling. the word is now over used so it has really lost all meaning.
Quote from Bean0 :We use the word 'Jap' as an abbreviation for Japanese, it is used in magazines, we have a car show called Japfest, etc so must not now be considered a racist slur although I am pretty sure it used to be considered one.

Quote from danowat :I think you'll find that Jap is still considered a racial slur, at least in Japan it is

But using an abbreviation like "Scot" is apparently okay. I have no problem with that one, it's "Scotch" I object to. That's whisky not a person

The rules of what is politically correct are constantly changing and vary from country to country. It also depends on who uses it and how you use it. Rappers can throw the N-word around like it's nothing, but us random white boys would get bitchslapped for it. Jap might be fine in the UK (we have Japfest after all) but not elsewhere. You just need to recognise the differences and make allowances - we're all different and have different levels of tolerance.
Yup, it's mental aint it, you can call me a Brit, and I wouldn't care, likewise I could call you a Scot, and you wouldn't care, however, if I were to call someone a Paki, I would get ass-raped.
well if i call you idiot doesnt make any diference if i call you samrt

its the same, 5 letters

or what is wrong with being a retard, slow?

paki is an insult while brit is not

why for example homoxesual is not an insualt while fag it is if they both mean the same
But "Paki" is only an insult because that's the way it was previously used. There's nothing inherent in the actual 4 letters that specifically makes it that way. Gay meant happy until recently.

Edit: And at my high school, "dogging" was the word we used for not going to class. These days it has a very different meaning
All very valid points, but you have to remember that the original use of the word was I believe by people that disliked Japanese products. It was originally intended in a pejorative way and it is still being used in the same sense. The association is still with Japanese products or their influence on non Japanese products and so the slur is still against something that the Japanese have done or affected. That makes it a racist term.
#24 - 5haz
I like the term 'Rice Burner' more.

However, to be a 'rice burner'. your car really has to come from Asia.

If you live in Basildon and have a Vauxhall Nova with a bodykit, and a large power reducing, speed bump scraping exhaust, then your car is not a 'Rice burner', it is a 'Battered Mars Bar' burner.
They're using that word too much in this forum. No it's not funny.

(149 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG