The online racing simulator
N00B here. When is LFS officially out?
I've been an arm chair racer for a while now. Since the PS2 and GT4/Toca and now GT5.

I found LFS as a change of pace from the consoles, I have a Logitech DFP and have tried the demo. I like it. Its quite fun although I'm a bit turned off by the online play. I mean, join a server and instant vote ban? What an intolerant bunch. Besides that, I just found another server and had no problems.

What I'm wondering is when is this going to hit the stores? From my understanding its still in beta? It'd be just my luck when I buy S2 a new version will come out and I'll be out more hard earned $$. Is there a time table on this? Should I wait or just buy S2 and be happy?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
LFS is out since 2003 i think

The game is now in Alpha status, but its really stable. LFS is only available via download and you just have to pay the licence to get the full S2 content.

I recommend it to you, i am playing for nearly 3 years now and LFS never got boring for me

read this, there is all explained: http://www.lfs.net/?page=shopinfo

edit: LFS is not available in a retail box and i think will never be in a retail box at your store around the corner
Just buy S2. Its about 40 USD. Thats affordable. You already got a DFP. You can see what varieties of types of racing/driving LFS has to offer online, as in bangers, rally, cruising, drifting, stunting, and demo durby, as well as the racing itself. LFS is a very good simulator, and S3 wont come out for a while, so there is enough time to enjoy S2. When there is a new patch that comes out it does not affect your S2 license. It will affect it when S3 comes out, meaning you will have to buy the S3 "update"
This game's been in development for like, 8 years or so. I started around 04 I believe, and it's always improved. You shouldn't expect development to go so fast that you lose any money, especially considering it hasn't even hit the beta stage yet.
on demo servers don't leave your name as "no name." Some in-sims auto kick anyone with "no name" as their name
Quote from NoYPiDRiFTER : It will affect it when S3 comes out, meaning you will have to buy the S3 "update"

Wrong, that's the beauty of LfS's system.
Even when S3 comes out (which is still a few years away), you won't have to purchase it, you can still play with your S2 (or even S1) account, as those stages don't restrict LfS itself, but the available content. So you'd just miss out the new cars and tracks that would require the S3 License, but you'd still benefit from all the rest of added features and bugfixes.
Quote from ColeusRattus :Wrong, that's the beauty of LfS's system.
Even when S3 comes out (which is still a few years away), you won't have to purchase it, you can still play with your S2 (or even S1) account, as those stages don't restrict LfS itself, but the available content. So you'd just miss out the new cars and tracks that would require the S3 License, but you'd still benefit from all the rest of added features and bugfixes.

I suppose you could say that, but an S1 user would argue that it's not worth staying behind like that. Just look at how many servers they have.
Quote from Cr!t!calDrift :I suppose you could say that, but an S1 user would argue that it's not worth staying behind like that. Just look at how many servers they have.

Actually, S1 users can join S2 servers as long as the server is running S1 content, so they should have a fair number of servers to choose from now. The same goes for Demo users; they can join S1/S2 servers as long as the server is running Demo content, the number of slots isn't over 15 (or is it 12?) and there are no track layout objects added like cones or barriers etc.
Quote from obsolum :Actually, S1 users can join S2 servers as long as the server is running S1 content, so they should have a fair number of servers to choose from now. The same goes for Demo users; they can join S1/S2 servers as long as the server is running Demo content, the number of slots isn't over 15 (or is it 12?) and there are no track layout objects added like cones or barriers etc.

It wasn't like that back in my day.
Quote from Daemonic :I've been an arm chair racer for a while now. Since the PS2 and GT4/Toca and now GT5.

I found LFS as a change of pace from the consoles, I have a Logitech DFP and have tried the demo. I like it. Its quite fun although I'm a bit turned off by the online play. I mean, join a server and instant vote ban? What an intolerant bunch. Besides that, I just found another server and had no problems.

What I'm wondering is when is this going to hit the stores? From my understanding its still in beta? It'd be just my luck when I buy S2 a new version will come out and I'll be out more hard earned $$. Is there a time table on this? Should I wait or just buy S2 and be happy?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

wait wait then wait some more...

it is kinda worth buying... but the only problem is one year is great, then a year later boring with no releases then the year after some updates and maybe a new car that you dont like, then the cycle repeats
Quote from theirishnoob :wait wait then wait some more...

it is kinda worth buying... but the only problem is one year is great, then a year later boring with no releases then the year after some updates and maybe a new car that you dont like, then the cycle repeats

ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyye!!!

this sums it up so nicely, really. I especially like the part about the new car you don't like.

ok, there's one little correction or clarification: the cycle starts after the great year.

How is that different than any other game where you play it for a month then never touch it again?

Playing one game for a year means its a bloody good game. Most games on xbox people buy and put down after a few weeks. LFS is great fun.
Or you're just incredibily easily entertained..
#15 - Riel
playing it for two years ... and NOW i really get the exitement, when I start to compete in leagues instead of driving at the back of the grid
You should definately buy it now, most games will entertain you for a few months before getting boring, then you have to wait for a new version of the game which can be expensive. With LFS if you get bored you can stop playing until they release a new patch, some people say that takes too long, but you don't have to keep on paying to get the updates. I purchased S2 the day it was released as an alpha, and I am still playing it at least once a week.

The online racing is much better on S2, you have more organised servers with better admins and insim applications, there are still certain servers that you might want to avoid, but if you avoid wrecking people on purpose or breaking server rules then you should never be banned.

If you still need convincing then take a look at the LFS forum Movie of the Year...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VNKfipLHtP4
my first incounters with lfs was about a year or so ago when i found lfs deno version X played it for like 6 months and then thought sod this i cant get online. so i searched google and found the lfs main side signed up got a pay pall account set it up sent ae cheque to lfs waited two weeks for it to clear re down loaded version Z ( from one of the mirror sites used by lfs) and bingo

new version, better everything fro graphics upwards etc

but i think i need to get a new pc with higher specs than my laptop
:doh:

Well at least you bought it..
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :You should definately buy it now, most games will entertain you for a few months before getting boring, then you have to wait for a new version of the game which can be expensive. With LFS if you get bored you can stop playing until they release a new patch, some people say that takes too long, but you don't have to keep on paying to get the updates. I purchased S2 the day it was released as an alpha, and I am still playing it at least once a week.

The online racing is much better on S2, you have more organised servers with better admins and insim applications, there are still certain servers that you might want to avoid, but if you avoid wrecking people on purpose or breaking server rules then you should never be banned.

If you still need convincing then take a look at the LFS forum Movie of the Year...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VNKfipLHtP4

That was amazing
Man, watching that made me wanna get back online. Guess it's back to race 1
Quote from niall09 :Very OT, are you on boards.ie?

boards.ie ??

ill give her a look-see

as for games life-span, most games i buy i play to the death... litterally...

as long as the console or cd works... i play it...

shelf lifes... What are they ?
Its the best money I could have spent, i'm a real race fanatic and even run my own racing sims web site, but Live for speed is always the top of the list on my forum
Quote from PioneerLv :Are you serious?

Why shouldnt he be??
That were my best bunch of euros i spent, too, actually. Never had that much fun with anything before (g25 is another thing....)
yup me too, lfs is a great thing to buy

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG