The online racing simulator
Quote from DeKo :
to those who drive in real life, ever tried left foot braking? because the clutch pedal is usually heavier than the brake pedal, and im far too used to just putting the clutch pedal to the floor, every time i tried left foot braking for a laugh i nearly put myself through the windscreen.

Yeah it's hard to get the sensitivity, not something to first attempt in heavy traffic!

A lot of newer cars that I have driven cut the power for a few seconds if you so much as brush the brake pedal whilst still on the throttle. Presumably some weird safety measure against clumsy people hitting both pedals in an emergency. Not much fun either though.
Lerts is just freaking crazy, left foot on accelerator!!! ffs
oh come on

1st most people dont mind left foot braking cause most people dont block the wheels with maximum pressure applied

if you can block wheels braking with left foot is like shooting penalties with left foot, you just dont have the sensibility to brake on the limit

unless you are left footed that is when it makes sense left foot brake

this is an example how little self thinking there is

if you are left handed would you use your right hand to write just cause everybody does it?
#29 - DeKo
Quote from [DUcK] :Okay, so you tards are saying that controlling the throttle your right foot, and controlling the brake with your left foot is slower? You can still blip the throttle on the way down the gearbox, you still have the right foot on the throttle. You guys obviously didn't get what I was saying. Besides it's sometimes faster to not rev match or heel toe if that's the only way you know how to say it, because it will get the rear end around a lot faster for tight corners.
We're not talking about real life here, we're talking about LFS.

so what magical 3rd foot is controlling the clutch while your doing all this?

and lerts, i am left handed, write with my left hand, and it has no factor in which foot i use for what.
Quote from lerts :oh come on

1st most people dont mind left foot braking cause most people dont block the wheels with maximum pressure applied

if you can block wheels braking with left foot is like shooting penalties with left foot, you just dont have the sensibility to brake on the limit

if you are left handed would you use your right hand to write just cause everybody does it?

it's a matter of practice, really. and you can't try it just once with your RL manual and say it doesn't work.
do you think you could clutch with your right foot right away? have you actually been able to clutch smoothly with your LEFT foot right away? so it's not because the right foot is more sensitive. that's just bullocks, really. do it softly first and it'll finally work.

as for LFS / RL confusion with pedals. I don't think this will happen. I used to hit the clutch on my G25 a few times instead of the brake because I was used to left-foot-braking with my cheap 2-pedal-wheel. But the moment I'm in a real car, my brain switches, because it's just soooooo different (as was mentioned). No problem there.

But well, if you've only just begun driving in real life or you haven't yet, it's probably a bit different.
ill be honest though ill be called an idiot

i used to play f1 and brake with a button in the wheel

i was all relaxed driving in rl and on a long no problem straight i found myself searching for a button in the whhel to brake

i recall a guy saying he even tried to press a button to talk with his real pasanger

its just a matter of habits and dont aviation pilots learn with simulation as real as this one

for example thats another reason why i block my wheels with full travel brake pedal to have good habits in rl learn from this simulation
Quote from DeKo :so what magical 3rd foot is controlling the clutch while your doing all this?.

Quote from [DUcK] :...We're not talking about real life here, we're talking about LFS.

You don't need a clutch pedal axis in LFS, as most wheels don't come with them anyway. Paddles and auto clutch are what 99% of the fast guys use in LFS
Quote from lerts :ill be honest though ill be called an idiot

i was all relaxed driving in rl and on a long no problem straight i found myself searching for a button in the whhel to brake

i recall a guy saying he even tried to press a button to talk with his real pasanger

its just a matter of habits and dont aviation pilots learn with simulation as real as this one

for example thats another reason why i block my wheels with full travel brake pedal to have good habits in rl learn from this simulation

So to avoid picking up bad habits from the game, you decided to reverse the pedals from the way that they will be in every single car you drive in your life?

Your logic is totally flawed.

Quote from lerts :i dont want to risk to try to brake with the clutch in real life due to a strong habit

so what i do: acelerate with left foot and brake with right foot

like this i keep having my right foot precision and the only risk i have in real life is try to acelerate with the clutch which represents no risk

You use your right foot for the brakes in LFS. This is the foot that controls the throttle in real life! You think it's any better to hit the throttle instead of the brakes than it is to hit the clutch instead of the brakes?

You're just being different for the sake of being different. There is no logic at all to what you're saying. If, however, you genuinely can't differentiate between a game or a go-kart and a real car on the road then I strongly suggest you give up the games or road driving.
I totally agree with duck.

Left foot braking will make you stay on throttle longer. Just practice a bit and you will get the feeling in the left foot quite fast . I'ts proven to be faster.

In formula renault, we did left foot braking and just blip with your right foot ( seq, powershift ).

Sometimes it's better to not blip to get the rear end a bit loose. For the endurance guys right foot braking is better, thats spares fuel!!
Quote from lerts :ill be honest though ill be called an idiot

Stop either driving in real life or playing racing simulators as you are very real danger on the roads if you really cannot differentiate a driving game and real life.

I have no problem telling the difference between LFS (DFP 2 pedals. Throttle, right foot and brake left foot) and real life (throttle and brake right foot and clutch left). I have never even when really relaxed got confused between the 2.

Like sinbad said, your logic is flawed (like always) and I'm glad you don't endanger my life by being anywhere near me when driving in real life looking for the brake button on your real life car.
man i came with reasons why i like right foot brake youre not discussing any, im glad also to be far from you

ill stick to drive lie rl

actually you dont think by yourself, one brakes fully without blocking the wheels and 99% of people copy it, you just have no personality
...forget it.

You could charge millions by teaching that "fact" to most of the F1 drivers!
Quote from Speedy Pro : yeah, but McRae isn't using the clutch at all, and Rohrl...he's just a friggin' monster behind the wheel. Right foot braking and left foot braking! I want mad skills like that!

practice . I use whichever foot is most appropriate at any given part of a circuit, to brake. I tend to think of race driving as a bit like riverdance tbh. It does not take much practice to develop sufficient sensitivity with your left foot to start doing it on the roads, just make sure you get the basics of it in a safe place.

I tend to view race cars as a machine designed for purpose. In LFS for instance it is faster to set the drivers side to the inside. For example at Blackwood a RHD car is faster, on Blackwood Reverse a LHD. So i'll switch sides as appropriate. Some drivers cannot adjust to this because they are used to their car and the way they like it, I say drive more different cars and learn the skill of adaption.

@Lerts: As you currently only have one sensitive foot this should ideally be used for throttle, as a general rule you will make more time up by exiting corners well onto a straight with good throttle control than you will by gaining a tenth under braking by cadencing well. In the meentime try working on the sensitivity of your left foot by increasing your braking force sufficiently to force you to cadence brake. You might loose some time initialy, but you will be a better driver at the end of it. In sim racing you have an ideal chance to learn by using autoclutch. Once you've mastered the basics you can goto a manual clutch and start learning the racing drivers river dance.

You're speaking as if being left- or right-footed makes you completely unable to use the other foot for anything but on-off use. This isn't exactly right. As everyone else here said, it is a matter of learning to be sensitive with the foot (or hand for that matter) that you don't usually use. It's a way of "integrating" the various parts of your brain, and I can guarantee you that learning to do so properly will result in better driving.

Besides, you're using your left foot for the clutch - surely that requires some sensitivity in your left foot?
Why do people bother even explaining things to lerts when he obviously (and from past experience) won't heed a damn word of it?
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Why do people bother even explaining things to lerts when he obviously (and from past experience) won't heed a damn word of it?

So if anyone in the future finds the post on search they can find an answer, along with lerts' interpretation of said answer admittedly, but it's the best way we've found to help the next generation of sim racers to at least leave them something of use !
Ahh I see.
Quote from Becky Rose :In LFS for instance it is faster to set the drivers side to the inside.

Or maybe just switch to chase view, use button clutch instead of a pedal, rely on paddles, 240 degrees lock, whatever, just for the sake of speed.

Who cares if it's realistic or not? It's not like LFS is a simulator striving to achieve the best possible realism...

And eventually somebody end up using cheats in league racing. If time is all we should care why don't go back to playing some arcade game, that would be less pretentious

Not meaning to bash you Becky, that bit of a quote is sort of a final point in a discussion which is drifting away, and I'm using it to make a more general statement.
Quote from NightShift :Or maybe just switch to chase view, use button clutch instead of a pedal, rely on paddles, 240 degrees lock, whatever, just for the sake of speed.

Who cares if it's realistic or not? It's not like LFS is a simulator striving to achieve the best possible realism...

And eventually somebody end up using cheats in league racing. If time is all we should care why don't go back to playing some arcade game, that would be less pretentious

Not meaning to bash you Becky, that bit of a quote is sort of a final point in a discussion which is drifting away, and I'm using it to make a more general statement.

A racing machine is a built for purpose machine. Any advantage that can be taken in racing can and should be taken. The placement of a driver in a race car is a critical design decision. In sim racing, due to the interface given to us by the developers of LFS, and the non-fixed nature of the drivers side in the specific vehicles, we have the ability to change the drivers side prior to 'attending a race event'.

In much the same way as many race teams make lots of modifications to cars for given events. Extra winglets in single seaters, or in touring cars if you think that ballast doesnt move about on a race car depending on the circuit being raced, then take a look at the ballast placement slider in the setup screen. The driver is a significant piece of ballast, and the drivers position is not a fixed value in many of the cars featured in LFS.

Any driver with the ability to adapt to driving on either side of the car should take the opportunity to do so. If you dont have this capability you should be considering the merits versus effort reward ratio of doing so. It's about 0.5 seconds a lap at some car/track combo's.

I think you need to step back from your idealism far enough to realise that race cars are not a fixed and static design, they evolve over the course of a season in every series from club level to international.
Quote from Becky Rose :race cars are not a fixed and static design, they evolve over the course of a season in every series from club level to international.

Sadly, I find my wallet evolves slightly faster, in a negative way.
Quote from Becky Rose :I think you need to step back from your idealism far enough to realise that race cars are not a fixed and static design

Never thought they would be, though it's quite obvious you can't switch sides that easily IRL even if the car is designed to allow both versions to be manufactured (and some cars are only designed for RHD anyway).

I guess that's one of the reasons many race and trackday car designs opt for a central seating position, but that's not the case with about half of the cars in LFS.

That said, the bit about RHD vs LHD is not particularly important ATM, what I'm thinking about is a system of payoffs which will make natural for players to choose the most realistic attitude given a certain situation.

E.g. Improved simulation of suspension damage would constitute a payoff system which greatly rewards drivers who choose not to cut curbs on Fern Bay curbs at 150+ kph.

You would call that idealism?
Quote :Sadly, I find my wallet evolves slightly faster, in a negative way.

awww ain't that the truth, still it's better than ... watching a rocket launch.

Quote from NightShift :You would call that idealism?

No, I would call it a different forum thread :P

a thought on acceleration is it correct?
(75 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG