The online racing simulator
Why Buy A MacBook?
(52 posts, started )
#1 - Jakg
Why Buy A MacBook?
If the OS isn't an issue at all, and your looking a nice small-ish laptop for Uni, why bother going for the "normal choice"?

Little comparison I made up (sorry it's rediculously wide)...

Lets just hope this doesn't turn into a flame war :P
If you don't want Apple's OS, then there's no point in buying a Macbook.

Do people buy them when they don't want the OS?

(I'm planning on getting one this summer incidentally)
#3 - Jakg
People buy them all the time to put Windows on (via BootCamp) and people buy "hackintosh" PC's all the time to put OSX on, too...
Well, from what I understand (and I don't know too much about Apple's hardware (spec wise) their products are overpriced (kind of in the same way Sony makes nice stuff that's really overpriced.)
or you could pay a lot less and get something thats actually properly portable while still offering everything you really need on the go and perfectly able to run macos
TBH I'd rather just buy a Mac. I don't want to have to deal with hardware incompatibilities if I'm trying to run ProTools on it.
doesnt it run on windows as well? also would you really want to run a sequencer on a relatively low res and small notebook screen?
Quote from Stang70Fastback :their products are overpriced

Yep, and considering that the 'average' Mac user spends 95% of their computer time in an internet browser or applications like itunes, the 'I prefer OSX' argument has never really made sense to me.

I can't believe Apple have been getting away with charging these prices for so long.
Quote from Jakg :If the OS isn't an issue at all, and your looking a nice small-ish laptop for Uni, why bother going for the "normal choice"?

Little comparison I made up (sorry it's rediculously wide)...

Lets just hope this doesn't turn into a flame war :P

no toshiba or sony ??

no surprises their...

my sister bought the 2.4 ghz mac book, but my 2.0 gkz 4 gb ram acer pi$$es circles around it !!

and thats at ps alone ( its only good upper hand on windows... and it fails at that "

plus... she paid 3 times what i paid for mine...
#10 - JJ72
1.brand image.

2.sales in apple stores are better looking.

3."designer" appeal.

4.general stupidity.
Quote from theirishnoob :no toshiba or sony ??

more to the point... no lenovo?

for the price difference to a mac you could probably get business models from most manufacturers and get a laptop that will last 6 years easily
It's just "nice" Yes, they are way more expensive than average PC laptops, though if you want the same form factor, build quality, specs, warranty, etc. the price differential becomes quite a bit less, especially if you have an educational discount or can get a prev. gen Macbook.

To me, the overall "experience" (hardware + software) is much better than on a PC, though that's subjective. And if you only care about "getting work done" and you can get it all done on a PC, there's little point in getting a Mac. Otherwise, try one out.

P.S. agree w/ Shotglass, Lenovo should be on the list. Pretty sturdy machines those.
I really like the look of a MacBook and the screens are nice too. The only thing that erks me about mac's is you must bow down to the Mac way. Not only do they control the software, but the hardware too. Unless you count Boot Camp....the mac way of running windows.. So many people buy Mac's to "stick it to the man" and not buy Microsoft Products. Kinda backwards. If money wasn't an issue I would get a nice MacBook Pro. But it is an issue for most of us.If I was wanting to get all the power I can get for my money I would look at an Acer. They have some around 1,000 USD that have good amount of RAM and pretty good video cards for a laptop in this price range.

BTW. Where is Dustin? He claims Mac users get laid more often PC users.

Jay
Only good feature Macs have is the trackpad and that they suit for old people as they are rather idiot proof.

If you don't want to have a Mac, I'd pick the HP. You get the most hardware for your money and don't end up with an Acer which always feel a bit cheap, and apparently have reliability and warranty (at least here) issues. That Packard Bell is not an option either, 1 GB memory and 80 GB hard drive just doesn't cut it these days, even if it was dirt cheap.
oh and for the 1000th time macs are pc and always have been pcs
Quote from Blackout :They suit for old people as they are rather idiot proof.

Oh really? I'm sure if you just dump a Mac on an "old person" (by that I assume you mean an older person that has never used a computer before) then they'd be just as clueless as to how to use the thing as if you threw a machine running Windows or Linux at them. They'd work it out eventually but then again someone using any GUI-based OS would.
true but thanks to their relative unpopularity pebcak isnt as much of a problem
although thats more and more a thing of the past
http://www.dailytech.com/Apple ... +Program/article13562.htm

personally im suprised techies havent let out their dislike of the self proclaimed cool crowd by coding macos viri sooner
Quote from JohnUK89 :Oh really? I'm sure if you just dump a Mac on an "old person" (by that I assume you mean an older person that has never used a computer before) then they'd be just as clueless as to how to use the thing as if you threw a machine running Windows or Linux at them. They'd work it out eventually but then again someone using any GUI-based OS would.

Well, it's good for people who don't have the experience or knowledge about computers and don't have the time or mind to learn all that stuff you might bump into and only use it for Internet and paying bills. My parents have a Mac so I don't need to be taking care of that computer, it has been working flawlessly with no hassles since it was out of the box.

Oh, could think another reason to like Mac, battery time. My HP can barely do 2 hours while the Macbook does almost 3 times that. That just might be worth paying twice the money.
If you really only need it for uni, I'd go for something with a decent battery life (at my old uni there were very little seats with a power socket close enough). SSD helps for battery life there, or maybe just go for a eeePC.
Quote from Shotglass :doesnt it run on windows as well? also would you really want to run a sequencer on a relatively low res and small notebook screen?

Yes it does run on Windows, and I'm running it on Windows here at home, but if I'm buying another computer it won't have Windows on it because Windows is a ****ing piece of shit.
how is an os developed by people with beards and sandals ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:C2k1.jpg ) who listen to eläkeläiset all day long turned into something fancy looking by the most restrictive company in the world any better?
When you've put up with Windows for 15 years, Mac OS almost wins my the simple virtue of not being Windows.
ive been using dos and windows ever since we had the 386 at home and since 2k came out i dont see anything wrong with it... especially nothing wrong enough to make me pay twice as much for an os which isnt any better and was made with being pretty in mind rather than useability
I exclusively use OS X now, won't be going back to Windows anytime soon. But it's not only the OS, it's the complete package. It's being able to sit in a coffee shop looking trendy. You don't get THAT with a Dell.
Quote from pb32000 :It's being able to sit in a coffee shop looking trendy. You don't get THAT with a Dell.

:rolleyes:

Why Buy A MacBook?
(52 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG