The online racing simulator
Hi All. Need help on BL1
(26 posts, started )
Hi All. Need help on BL1
OK I have been tinkering about for about a month trying to get my time down from 1.38/9 to 1.35's. I am using teh nilex set and have probaly done 300 laps a day. I get the occasional 1.35 but its seemed to of settled at 1.36.5. Atl least in concistant.

regular Splits

1st 30's
2nd 08's

Its doing y head in, ive looked at it on the analyser and I just cant stop the tyres from squeeling above 6K revs. So although I am smoth in teh corners I am just not able to cary the speed through.

I have tried heel toe, sequencial at rev points and with throttle blip. Do the trail breaking, but I always get over taken in the entrance to corners in multiplayer. Just seem to of hit the learning curve wall.

Chris
Quote from Deve8uk :OK I have been tinkering about for about a month trying to get my time down from 1.38/9 to 1.35's. I am using teh nilex set and have probaly done 300 laps a day. I get the occasional 1.35 but its seemed to of settled at 1.36.5. Atl least in concistant.

regular Splits

1st 30's
2nd 08's

Its doing y head in, ive looked at it on the analyser and I just cant stop the tyres from squeeling above 6K revs. So although I am smoth in teh corners I am just not able to cary the speed through.

I have tried heel toe, sequencial at rev points and with throttle blip. Do the trail breaking, but I always get over taken in the entrance to corners in multiplayer. Just seem to of hit the learning curve wall.

Chris

if u've done 300 laps a day in a month, that would mean abit more than
429 laps afaik, (according to your LFSW stats)

i would say you watch the WR repaly wich can be found here : www.lfsworld.net
#3 - dadge
Quote from Dennis93 :if u've done 300 laps a day in a month, that would mean abit more than

offline laps are not counted on LFSworld.
the trick with BL1 is to go slow into the corners and fast out of them. get down to the speed you need to meet the apex of the corner and control your throttle inputs more. smooth=fast
if drivers are out braking you on the entry to corners it probs because you're braking about 10-15m too soon. for T1 only use 100% brake for the first few meters (until you begin to gear down) then use between 80%-90% brake. there should be no point where you are freewheeling. when your timing is better, you will be applying the throttle as your lifting off the brake (similar to how you learn to use a clutch in real life). we would need to see a spr/mpr before any accurate advice can be given.
to control tire scrub, you need to listen to the tires. reduce the ammount of steering input on the 2nd half of the corner. this should help. again throttle control will help alot.
the trick to the bf1 is not using a joypad...

a wheels required if you wish to go fast...
#5 - dadge
Quote from theirishnoob :the trick to the bf1 is not using a joypad...

a wheels required if you wish to go fast...

that's not at all accurate. i know quite a few drivers who use a pad. and a few who use kb/mouse and they're a mare to catch.
#6 - Gil07
It would be handy if you posted a replay of you driving, if you want us to help you
The man is not talking about a BF1 I believe, rather XFG or XRG. But it should be clarified by the OP otherwise we're just speculating.

Anyway, what I find helpfull is taking a few days off from LFS, you'll start fresh again with new ideas on how to tackle a problem without being contaminated by your old perceptions and beliefs about what is best.

As said, looking at replays is a good thing, but personally I learn more from watching fast online players since they also get very good lap times without driving near a perfect line. It shows more were you have some freedom in manouevring, what the consequences are of not following the ideal line and how they handle it.

So drive a few laps, look at other fast drivers till you get some "aha!" moment and try it yourself. As said smoothness is important, but as a new driver on a new track you do not know the shortcuts and quircks of a track which also save massive time. By shortcuts I mean how to make a chicane or something more straight by going massively over the curbs etc. I do not mean taking a country-side tour to save time.

And one of my problems in the beginning with BL1 in a XFG was that I couldn't go over curbs, since my Anti-Roll bars were to stiff, so if you have the feeling that your car is being magnetically repelled from them soften them. Took me alot of time to figure out so maybe it helps.
#8 - dadge
it seems you are the only one who thought it was the BF1. when did the BF1 go around BL1 in over 90 seconds? where did the OP say anything about the BF1? where did anyone else (except you) mention the BF1?

how the hell did you think we were talking about the BF1?
Quote from dadge :it seems you are the only one who thought it was the BF1. when did the BF1 go around BL1 in over 90 seconds? where did the OP say anything about the BF1? where did anyone else (except you) mention the BF1?

how the hell did you think we were talking about the BF1?

Wow, don't be so hard, he obviously misread the post.
all 6 of them?
even the title of the thread makes it clear enough for everyone (except 1)to know the op is talking about Blackwood. his lap times tell the same story. 1.3x = slow cars.
The problem is that if there's a problem with your line or your braking points, more laps won't help and will just reinforce the mistakes.

Get the replays and then use the lap analyser (wherever it is) to chart your laps against the record. Then you can see where you need to improve and work on that. You're already running better laps than I ever did though
^Thanks LFSn00b thats why I mentioned it^

One can safely assume that using a joypad or not is more bound to the car and not the track which is evidence for the fact he meant the BF1 which wasn't stated by OP.
So the OP should state with which car he is driving, from the laptimes and being a new driver I think its reasonable to believe its a XFG or XRG, but as long as we do not know for sure it could as well be the BF1. Would also be informative if he tells us what controller he uses.

And dadge: use information before going to conclusions instead of the other way around
He states that he is using the Nilex set, which implies (nee guarantees) he is driving the XFG.

To the OP...Be aware that Nilex XFG set does not suit all, which is one of the reasons why you may be struggling. As said above go online and watch some fast guys and ask for their set (do not be offended if turned down and only ask once).
I have helped quite a few new guys at Bl in XFG by watching them, giving advice and adjusting/giving sets, so feel free to search my user name and I will do what I can to help.
Quote from stry90dis :
And dadge: use information before going to conclusions instead of the other way around

i can only apologise for not reading the post in question. i don't usually read all theirishnoobs posts because they're usually spam or completely made up (as his post prooved). the op didn't say he was using a pad. infact because he said he has tried heel & toe and other methods that can't be replicated with a pad, we can/could safely assume he was using a wheel. i don't think anyone who is doing 300-ish laps per day would still be nearly 40 seconds off race pace in the BF1. a 1:3x time is that of the XFG/XRG. maybe the TBO class. but again, doing that ammount of laps per day should have him at least 5 seconds off the wr (and he would have to be super crap to be that far off.)
Quote from Anthoop : I have helped quite a few new guys at Bl in XFG by watching them, giving advice and adjusting/giving sets, so feel free to search my user name and I will do what I can to help.

snap.

try this setup. i use it. it's very good. if you're going too slow, the back end might step out a bit. but that's a good indication that you're not going quick enough.
Attached files
XFG_blackwood endu.set - 132 B - 1101 views
#15 - [d9]
are you familiar enough with your controller?
do you use full width of the track?
do you brake in time? - do you every time "hit" the apexes of corners?
do you drive all corners inclucing shicane on full throttle?
[quote of book "How to drive your Blackwood faster"]

good luck, do 1000 laps, then 1000 laps with RWD and youll see, youll improve

tip: attend to your sector times (differences between split times) - it helps you to find out where are you slower (typically last sector) - up to 1.08.2x you can easilly do 1.34 with XFG

[QUOTE=Deve8uk;1048791]OK I have been tinkering about for about a month trying to get my time down from 1.38/9 to 1.35's. I am using teh nilex set and have probaly done 300 laps a day. I get the occasional 1.35 but its seemed to of settled at 1.36.5. Atl least in concistant.

regular Splits

1st 30's
2nd 08's

Chris[/QUOTE]
i find the very last corner on BL1 is the killer if you get it JUST right you can fly around it in the XRT with a lowest apex speed of 115kph and full power befor the apex but if you make a mistake you either go sideways or hit the kerb.

the last corner alone in the XRT can make you 1/2 sec's or lose the same if not more. never really payed much attention to the other cars :P

exept the BF1 the speed differance that can be made on that last corner is extreamly high in that car
I dont think so smooth = good lap maybe in race. The fastest how u can get in and then the fastest out do the trick. But u must be everytime with 2 wheels on kerb if u want very good times
There is nobody who can help me or u to improve by writing. Just watch the replays and play. 300 laps ??? I played fbm 10 hours in a day and made 300 laps so i dont think so u do 300 laps a day
Quote from Dennis93 :if u've done 300 laps a day in a month, that would mean abit more than

Well thanks for your smarmy reply mate, but it dont count offline laps. And seeing as I cant get teh speed up to compete online, whats the point of getting in teh way of everyone else.

Age old saying son, if you havent anything good to say, keep ya cake hole shut.
Hi All
Thanks for the constructive comments.

I will work out how to save a lap, cant be that hard. Off to read manual.

OK to stop squabling.

Yes its BL1
Yes its XFG
I use Logitech G25

Now for the realy sad part, I actualy race in RL, all be it ammatur and this was suposed to give me practice.

OK on the 1st corner I brake about 80M out, just before the rumble strip, I just cant get teh entry speed right, I am trying to get my revs to stay up to change to 3rd at the entry of the shicane, but normaly only around 6500 revs here which is not high enough.

I will work out how to post a file so you can view.

hey at least my times are constant.

Again thanks for the input, realy is appreciated
is this the file you need?
I just changed from Nilex to the one given me to try onhere and other than not close to apex on a few, only corner that gave me greif, as always is T5, always get drift on that
Attached files
Deve8uk_BL1_XFG_13576.spr - 99.4 KB - 177 views
Quote from Deve8uk : And seeing as I cant get teh speed up to compete online, whats the point of getting in teh way of everyone else.

As long as you respect blue flags, no sane person has a problem with it. Besides, even if you drive relatively slow, the number of laps on most servers is low so if you do not spin or crash chances of being lapped are very low. So try it, in my opinion watching and participating in a race with other decent drivers is the most helpfull.
And somehow you just go faster when under pressure of others, at least in my case. Pressure also leads to more errors on your part but that is educative too.
#22 - [d9]
-you missed at least 3 apexes in that replay
-braked too early almost every corner
-catched grass before entering 2nd chicane, thats reason of your drift
-drived with almost 50% of fuel in tank
-did not used full width of track incomming into almost every corner

thats all gives you 2 seconds ;D

Quote from Deve8uk :I just changed from Nilex to the one given me to try onhere and other than not close to apex on a few, only corner that gave me greif, as always is T5, always get drift on that

it's very important not to get any dirt on the tires @ BL1. if you do go on the green stuff, just remember that the next corner is probs going to be sideways. once you learn that, you will be able to reduce your apex speed (usually 5-10mph slower) to combat any potential slide. you have to learn to stay on the track before you can learn to go faster round it.
thanks folks
ive been trying to stay near teh apex untill i get the speeds and braking right. I tried brakeing later but I am all over the shop and normaly go of or drift and scrub all speed.

I can tell you, spent the afternoon prepping my car and have found 2 seconds over my previous best at Brands 1.35.40 which aint bad in my old girl.
good stuff. join a server and spectate (at first) watch how others drive and you will learn alot there. you will even get drivers who will take time to help you get faster. some help you develope your setup to your style (brakes, final drive, ARB and so on). try it, you'll be surprised. look for drivers with the ATC tag. we're very helpful (plug finished)

Hi All. Need help on BL1
(26 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG