The online racing simulator
Donington Park new circuit layout
(54 posts, started )

Poll : Donnington, a change for the better?

Yes, I think it's change for the better
No. OMG!, Tilke what have you done?
Not bad, but that is just the stuff they needed permission for so we have to wait before judging it, because they could still turn the Craner Curves into a carpark.
#27 - 5haz
Quote from anttt69 :That is a bit of a lump, i doubt very much they will leave the gradient like that. It will probably get smoothed out a bit otherwise the corner will be plain dangerous.

Why? Brands Hatch is steeper than that and its an FIA class 2 circuit permitting just about every international championship apart from F1 and Drag Racing!
looking at the plan, i don't think they will flatten that hill too much because the track joins onto the bit just after the old hairpin there, so it'll have to come down a bit still.
Quote from 5haz :Why? Brands Hatch is steeper than that and its an FIA class 2 circuit permitting just about every international championship apart from F1 and Drag Racing!

Paddock Hill bend drops away smoothly & consistently if they plonk that sweeper on the side of the hill (in the pic) there will be flatish bit (where the vehicles are parked) & then the drop down the bank. This would leave a crest in the corner.
I think it's not too bad... I just hope they keep the Dunlop bridge and the old short track configuration
#31 - DeKo
I like that it says it's a £48,000 simulator Either the price of rFactor has gone up since I last checked, or he's got the most expensive triple monitor setup around!
Quote from Michael Denham :I like that it says it's a £48,000 simulator Either the price of rFactor has gone up since I last checked, or he's got the most expensive triple monitor setup around!

thats what i was thinking, along with the naff driving
#35 - DeKo
Quote from Michael Denham :I like that it says it's a £48,000 simulator Either the price of rFactor has gone up since I last checked, or he's got the most expensive triple monitor setup around!

might be rFactor pro, but it definetely has the rFactor HUD.
#36 - 5haz
That definately is Rf, thats the standard f1 v8 sound.

I'm actually really quite liking Donington's new look, only bad thing I can think of is it will turn into a bit of a 'stadium' being surrounded by grandstands and hospitality, unlike the nice green hillsides that surround the track at the moment.
#37 - robt
Just on the Rf simulator bit, found a quote that made me laugh
"rFactor Pro takes the graphics, sound and network code from next year’s rFactor game and adds a detailed, accurate physics engine" so much for the normal rfactor being a simulation then

Its nice to see the new donington hasnt been butchered like so many other circuits that have had a "revamp" (Hockenheim etc)
That track looks incredibly flat. Donington is a very hilly place in reality. It took me a few views of that video just to work out where the Craner curves were.
#39 - 5haz
Quote from durbster :That track looks incredibly flat. Donington is a very hilly place in reality. It took me a few views of that video just to work out where the Craner curves were.

Every circuit seems much shorter, wider and steeper in real life, because most racing sims have unrealistic fields of view.

EDIT: Donington has just lost the GP to Silverstone.

The Moto-GP.
Quote from 5haz :All the good bits are remaining, except perhaps Coppice which has been tightened, hopefully there will still be a blind uphill entry to the corner.

I reckon that new infield part will be like the infield part of Interlagos, first sweeping downhill, then uphill (from what I remember of the land around there.)

He has got rid of a 90/90 degree chicane and a rather nodescript hairpin, I can't see anything bad in that.

Lets see if they can build it in time.

I agree, though I think they should have kept the chicane. Not much of a loss for cars maybe but a big one for a motorcycle circut IMO.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zFt4RPZKMKU

A video of, probably the rFactor thing in action, on the new style Donnington.

Just goe's to show just how far from the real experience a sim is. I've done a couple of track days on the Donnington GP circuit in the past and the sim gives absolutely no impression of the camber and elevation changes of the circuit.
Al the old charm of the race tracks is getting destroyed

How long wil it talk for them to screw up Euarouge at spa bacaus the bustop is already screwed and they plan on making the staight sigh...
Quote from 5haz :Every circuit seems much shorter, wider and steeper in real life, because most racing sims have unrealistic fields of view.

Yeah could be that. It's hard to tell what FOV that vid is at. Going down the Craner curves, you should see a hell of a lot more ground than sky but in that vid the horizon barely moves. That's what makes Donington so much fun in real life!

Have a look 40s into this video, you can barely see the sky:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YzD33ndEGrg

Compared to 1m14 into the £48k () rFactor one.
The new one looks alot better.
More exciting too. That long left sweep.
I think they made it boring just as they tend to do with most tracks when they get modernised(aka made very boring)
Quote from Chrisuu01 :Al the old charm of the race tracks is getting destroyed

How long wil it talk for them to screw up Euarouge at spa bacaus the bustop is already screwed and they plan on making the staight sigh...

to be honest i always thought the bus stop screwed up the old track at that point anyway, i can understand why it was needed, but it would have been nicer to have had it flatout up to the hairpin
Quote from durbster :Yeah could be that. It's hard to tell what FOV that vid is at. Going down the Craner curves, you should see a hell of a lot more ground than sky but in that vid the horizon barely moves. That's what makes Donington so much fun in real life!

I said the same thing to Victor when we met and he denied it, at last I am vindicated! Hills dont feel the same in sim racing!
I think it looks more challenging then the old Donington.
Have to say that the old one is a real pain in the ass to drive.
This one looks amazing though!
#50 - 5haz
It really reminds me of interlagos somehow.

Donington Park new circuit layout
(54 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG