The online racing simulator
Pics of me Luging
(19 posts, started )
Pics of me Luging
Hey guys awhile back i said i was going luging and well I did it last night and wow it was well worth the 30 bucks and for what you get it is really cheap. I was told i would get maybe about 2-3 runs in but i acually got 5 in but my bro (who was taking the pics) thought i only was doing 3 so he left after my 3rd run.
These pics are in no order but they were massive so i cut them so there smaller. Also theyre not the best quility as i was going around 77km/h when the pics were taken. The first pic as you can tell i had my jacket tucked in so i could go faster but i think that was my 3rd run becuase i forgot to do it on the first 2.
Next winter i will be signing up to try it so hopefully i'll do well. I could have started this winter but the training season is already half way.

Also i did no start from the start of the acual track but i started about 3 querters down the track. I did not have to steer so it was just sit back and hope you don't crash.

My times for the first three runs are below.

1st Run: 17.0 Top Speed: 75.09km/h
2nd Run: 16.42 Top Speed: 76.72km/h
3rd Run: 16.25 Top Speed: 77.23km/h

These pics are in no order so the first pic isn't of me doing my first run and so on but i think that the pic with my jacket tight was my third run.

I did get going quite fast as i do think i had the fastest speed but not the fastest time.

If there is anything else you want to know please ask i'll try to answer.

Oh our coaches or instructers you could call them were both professinal Lugers as one of the guys i think was at an Olimypics but they were both at World Cups.
Attached images
T1Luge.jpg
T2Luge.jpg
T3Luge.jpg
Wow, that looks fun!

Nearly 50mph on a board thing, must have been really scary! I'm sure the snow wasn't white for long.

I love the "hope you don't crash" bit.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Wow, that looks fun!

Nearly 50mph on a board thing, must have been really scary! I'm sure the snow wasn't white for long.

It wasn't acually that scary beucase you don't think about it as your adreniline is pumping but yes you do have that feer of crashing.

One kid acually did crash but he just had a soar finger so he was fine.

EDIT: S14 how can you tell its fun when it says nobody has looked at the pics? as all have 0 views. lol
Woot! Training for the 2010 Olympics are we? Nice. I've never been luging, how would one get started? I can't imagine actually getting on one of those sleds when I have no idea what I'm doing, I imagine it's very easy to crash.
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :Woot! Training for the 2010 Olympics are we? Nice. I've never been luging, how would one get started? I can't imagine actually getting on one of those sleds when I have no idea what I'm doing, I imagine it's very easy to crash.

Well i acually would not be able to go to the 2010 Olympics becuase of age and i would not be fast enough as you peak in skill at around late 20's but the Olympics on 2014 in Russia i would be able to if i was good enough.
And to get into the sport its acually easy but since there are only 2 Luge Tracks in Canada 1 in Calgary and the other in Whistler you'd have to come over to the west or maybe the luge tracks in the USA are closer to you but i don't know. Only thing is you may be to old because you have to be under the age of 14 or 15 to start but if you want to do it professnialy they say you should start at 8 (yes i said 8). You would have kids screeming down the tracks lol
Nice. My dad actually used to luge, did fairly well in the Empire State games up in Lake Placid, back in the 80s. He used to train on a big tilted conveyor belt.

How far up the track did they start you? Was it just something anyone could do (I'm noticing lack of a suit/proper gear)?
Quote from titanLS :Nice. My dad actually used to luge, did fairly well in the Empire State games up in Lake Placid, back in the 80s. He used to train on a big tilted conveyor belt.

How far up the track did they start you? Was it just something anyone could do (I'm noticing lack of a suit/proper gear)?

I started about 3 quarters down the track so i went through about 4 cornors. You have to be around 8-14 to be able to start it and have a chance of doing it professinaly but to just try it for the fun of it i think you can do it for most ages but you would probibly have to go down with someone aka on a double luge.

EDIT: Just got the results and standings and out of 16 kids i placed 11th so i didn't do that well but it was ok. My times and stuff are as fallows.

1st Run: 17.005 Top Speed of This Run: 75.09
2nd Run: 16.462 Top Speed of This Run: 76.72
3rd Run: 16.258 Top Speed of This Run: 77.23
th Run: 16.239 Top Speed of This Run: 77.41
I don't know why they didn't show the 5th run's time but i know that one was acually fast.
How do you steer, do you simply move your body in the direction you want to steer?
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Wow, that looks fun!

irish guy done it in the Olympics a few years ago and broke his neck and back...

wouldn't do it for love nor money.
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :How do you steer, do you simply move your body in the direction you want to steer?

To steer you push with your legs onto the 2 prong things that my legs are beside or on the outside of and you push them to steer or for just a little turn or straighting out there are to levers you always hold onto and you can us them as i did at the end so i could turn the sled into the wall so it would slow down quicker.
That sounds like quite a rush and i'm glad you enjoyed it. I dont suppose i'll ever get much of a chance to try it as the nearest thing we have to a luge over here is a game of marble madness. Maybe I should cross bass jumping off my before I die list and put this on instead, or both .
Was thinking this when I read the thread title. Still looks cool thought, must have been a rush.
77 km/h :o Must be scary!
Quote from swisscosmo :
EDIT: S14 how can you tell its fun when it says nobody has looked at the pics? as all have 0 views. lol

You don't have to click them to see them - I can see thumbnails
Quote from S14 DRIFT :You don't have to click them to see them - I can see thumbnails

Oh ya i forgot about that. How do you get your comp to show them as thumbnails?
I think it's in the vBulletin options somewhere, I can't remember.
Looks like a lot of fun Hopefully I'll get a chance to do something similar at the Vancouver/Whistler facility after the 2010 Olympics
Quote from Michael Denham :Looks like a lot of fun Hopefully I'll get a chance to do something similar at the Vancouver/Whistler facility after the 2010 Olympics

What sport would you do? Luge or something else.

And i just got the results and our times and out of 16 kids i came in 2nd 0.74 seconds behind the first place guy, So i'm really happy. Rember we did have 5 runs but for some reason they only gave us the results of 4 runs but still out of 4 runs i came in 2nd and the placing i was in after each run was 5th, 2nd, 2nd, and then 1st, but another guy got 1st, 1st, 1st, and 3rd so know wander he beat me.
Quote from swisscosmo :What sport would you do? Luge or something else.

Not sure really! Luge would be fun, just to give it a go of course

Pics of me Luging
(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG