The online racing simulator
Live for speed and windows 7
(139 posts, started )
Thanks Velociround

Quote :I was able to run and play Crysis + LFS + Stalker Clear Sky + 1080p movie running + about 8 Opera tabs running youtube videos + a lot of other tabs (browsing many different websites) + 4 explorer windows + Windows Live Messenger + Webcam (showing stuff and Windows 7 for my friend), using Dreamscene for the background, Steam overlay in-game and Windows Aero enabled and running, everything at the same time.
The system didn't crash as expected, and also didn't slow down at all and I was able to show off every kind of stuff from Windows 7 to my friend, I showed him the games running on flip 3D (it's real time! every game I tested works fine with this), the real time preview on the taskbar and the games running flawlessly.

Amazing!
Quote from Electrik Kar :XP / Vista / 7 performance comparison of various tasks.

1 is first (best)

My XP boots up WAY WAY WAY faster than Vista or 7 ever did.
Quote from Chrester :Another question, if i choose to keep my trusty xp and run a dual boot system (xp and 7 at the same hd) where i can choose witch system to boot on, will i be able to run lfs no matter what?
Thinkin of the serial key unlock problem.
Dont i need to unlock lfs on the new 7?
And if i choose to boot on xp, is that unlocked lfs locked again?

In my example i have two fysical harddisks. HD1 with xp on (and perhaps 7 as a dual boot) and HD2 with my games installed on.

You shouldn't need to unlock LFS again. At least I didn't. You can access your other hard drive/partition from Windows 7 and play LFS straight from there (since LFS can run straight from a folder).

Some games may have issues trying to run this way though, because they need registry entries and extra software to work.
Quote from travbrad :You shouldn't need to unlock LFS again. At least I didn't. You can access your other hard drive/partition from Windows 7 and play LFS straight from there (since LFS can run straight from a folder).

Some games may have issues trying to run this way though, because they need registry entries and extra software to work.

I'm not so sure... I use now 7 as my default OS, but there was a moment when I continued to switch from XP to 7 (multi-boot) because It didn't conserve the unlock, so I played LFS in XP and used 7 for all the other things.
My situation: XP (C:/), 7 (D:/), External HD with LFS (Z:/).
I unlocked in XP months ago, then installed 7 and unlocked again, then I unlocked in XP and ran out of unlocks (lol). I waited until friday, then I unlocked in 7. I don't use XP from then
Windows 7 just wont run normal on my system. Can't be bothered to reinstall microcrapshit again.

Windows Installer Crash
I cant install .Net framework
Cant install Java...
Cant install mirrors edge.
And name on what uses Windows Installer

Cant paly lfs with Msn on. Uses 90-99% cpu.
Everything almost crashes on and on same goed for Ie8 Beta.

I know that its a beta, But why are you guys so happy with it? I cant seem to install a simple thing as Limewire on it.

The rest runs pretty obvious like Vista.

E: And the interface is really annoying.
#56 - arco
Sounds like a hardware issue. Faulty memory, bad blocks on harddrive or overheating.
Quote from arco :Sounds like a hardware issue. Faulty memory, bad blocks on harddrive or overheating.

Hardware issue? Are you sure? My system is working fine. It's just that some of the programs arent COMPATIBLE with W7.

I found a solution for the Windows Installer

http://www.sevenforums.com/gen ... ll-any-msi-package-5.html

Microshit really needs to fix it.

Quote :Many users have started experiencing random crashing of explorer and msiexec.exe when trying to start Windows Update or install anything that uses an MSI based installer. This issue is bad enough that some people have even formatted because of it, only to have it come back again.
Rafael has discovered that the fault lies with the SQM Client which is part of the Customer Experience Improvement Program. It seems that ANY process that calls WinSqmStartSession in ntdll.dll will start crashing when MachineThrottling is enabled in the registry, which seems to happen as a result of CEIP running.
There are two workarounds for this issue. One may only be temporary, while the other should be permanent. I will list the permanent method here so everyone can cure the issue once and for all.

1. Delete the string values (Except for (Default)) in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\DisabledSessions
2. Start gpedit.msc
3. Expand Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, expand System, expand Internet Communication Management, and then click Internet Communication settings.
4. In the details pane, double-click Turn off Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program, and then click Enabled.

Yes, doing the above WILL disable the anonymous usage data (CEIP), but until Microsoft fixes the issue and issues a hotfix or a new build I don’t see any other options to ensure the issue does not occur again.

Confirmed
#58 - Jakg
Quote from Takumi_lfs :
Microshit really needs to fix it.

Confirmed

It's a ****ing Beta - do you even understand what that means?
Quote from Jakg :It's a ****ing Beta - do you even understand what that means?

Lol +1

Windows 7 seems to be making a huge step in the right direction - Maybe it's an OS worth paying for! I'm getting tired of XP and I'm looking for a new OS to install (and do a much needed format in the process).

But I'm not sure between Vista and Windows 7, even though it's (apparently, according to the current beta results) better than Vista.

Maybe a Windows OS you'd want to spend your own money on.
#60 - arco
Quote from Takumi_lfs :Hardware issue? Are you sure? My system is working fine. It's just that some of the programs arent COMPATIBLE with W7.

Usually when a lot of programs starts to crash for no reason, it's often a hardware issue behind it. But since it's a beta, it can of course also be a bug in Windows itself.
Quote from PKS Machina :Gotta say, I installed the beta last night.

The wheel drivers went on very easy (used vista drivers, it is a vista kernel after all)

Actually its the NT Kernel.....but we knew what ya mean't :P

Yes LFS on Win7 is pretty fast and I also noticed a perforamnce gain over my vista x64 version.

Oh and as for the elevated admin privledges needed to run LFS just go into user accounts and change your UAC settings to a lower setting or right click on the LFS.exe and goto Properties then Compatability and down the bottom is Always Run As Administrator tick that and apply
Quote from Baked Nut :Oh and as for the elevated admin privledges needed to run LFS just go into user accounts and change your UAC settings to a lower setting or right click on the LFS.exe and goto Properties then Compatability and down the bottom is Always Run As Administrator tick that and apply

im pretty sure all you need to do is put lfs somewhere where the exe actually has rw access to all its subfolders while running under your user account privileges
Quote from Shotglass :im pretty sure all you need to do is put lfs somewhere where the exe actually has rw access to all its subfolders while running under your user account privileges

I don't understand why people are having issues on running LFS without administrative privileges, I didn't have to put any kind of privileges for LFS, I just copied it from my other HD, paste it on this one and ran LFS.exe. It opened and it's done, I can play online and everything else. I have two folders for LFS, one in C:\Program Files\Live for Speed and the other one in C:\Live for Speed, both runs without the need of admin privileges.
I think one should only need to set LFS with administrative privileges if he plays LFS on C:\Windows

Quote from Chrester :Another question, if i choose to keep my trusty xp and run a dual boot system (xp and 7 at the same hd) where i can choose witch system to boot on, will i be able to run lfs no matter what?
Thinkin of the serial key unlock problem.
Dont i need to unlock lfs on the new 7?
And if i choose to boot on xp, is that unlocked lfs locked again?

In my example i have two fysical harddisks. HD1 with xp on (and perhaps 7 as a dual boot) and HD2 with my games installed on.

I didn't see anyone else answering your question, so..
1) You will be able to choose which system to boot on during every boot, by default you will receive a message: "Choose which system to boot up [...]" or something like that, with two options:
1st: Older version of Windows (i.e. win xp or windows vista)
2nd: Windows 7

By default, Windows 7 is selected. You'll have 25 seconds to select another OS, or press enter to skip the 25s and enter the system. These settings can be edited on boot.ini (open with notepad, not recommended) or on Windows...
Editing boot files on Windows 7:
Start > Control Panel > System and Security > System
(or, right click on "Computer", click "Properties")
Click on "Advanced system settings"
On "Startup and Recovery", click [Settings]

On the window that appeared, edit "System startup" so it fits your likings:
- Default operating system (default Windows 7)
- Time to display list of operating systems (can also disable this time and boot the OS without asking. Default: 25 seconds)
- Time to display recovery options when needed (default: disabled, this means no time limit)

Warning! It is not recommended to install both OS in the same HD. It will most likely create compatibility, programs and folder issues. It is recommended to install both OS in different HDs, thus creating a safe dual boot without any problems.

2) Yes, you'll need to unlock LFS on Windows 7.
If you don't want to unlock LFS every time you switch OS, make a copy of the LFS folder, e.g...:
LFS
> LFS XP
> LFS W7
...and unlock each LFS once in every operating system. When you want to play it unlocked in Windows 7, run LFS.exe located on LFS W7 folder, same thing for Windows XP (or Vista) on the LFS XP/Vista folder.
Thanks for clearing it up
I'm so tempted to try out Windows 7. It sounds very promising after all!
Be sure to grab the beta while it's still freely available (only 3 days left!) if you're interested...

I used it the whole week now and apart from 2 programs that crashed on me, everything was smooth as silk, even raced LfS online with it...
BBman,

I've run out of internets for the month but if I signup for a key now from the Microsoft site and download the beta from somewhere like Fileplanet afterwards, will that still work?
Quote from Electrik Kar :BBman,

I've run out of internets for the month but if I signup for a key now from the Microsoft site and download the beta from somewhere like Fileplanet afterwards, will that still work?

Yep, this will work. I've downloaded the iso-file from a not ms-related site and all works fine.
Just a quick update.. there was a driver patch released for my card. The framerate now displays a very modest 30-60fps depending on what I am doing in game. Which spread across 2 1440X900 monitors on full everything is pretty good IMO.

This is on a 8800GTS with no overclocking.
Anyone else having frame issues in win7 with lfs? I get around 50-100 in XP (with crashes and frame drops etc.) and around 20-50 in win7 (stable) Probably going to try new drivers, just seeing if anyone else had this problem.
Quote from MijnWraak :Anyone else having frame issues in win7 with lfs? I get around 50-100 in XP (with crashes and frame drops etc.) and around 20-50 in win7 (stable) Probably going to try new drivers, just seeing if anyone else had this problem.

Actually, fps for LFS here is a lot more stable and higher for me than in XP.

Quote from Velociround :LFS on Windows XP doesn't lock the frame rates correctly, if I set it to limit on "90fps" it will always get ~86fps and unstable. On Windows 7, when I set LFS to limit on "90fps", the game will always have a perfect locked frame rate: "90.9fps", which never drops. It also seems a bit more smooth.

Also FPS overall when not locked is higher too

Maybe updating your drivers should solve your problem.
My FPS was the same in XP and 7. You have to remember that video card drivers for Windows 7 are still in beta stage at best, so you can't expect the performance to be on par with XP just yet. But I can bet you, when Windows 7 goes gold, it will have better performance than XP.
And you're forgetting you're running on a fresh install. I'm sure if you installed XP fresh it'd be roughly the same as Windows 7.
I've capped my framerate, it's still not the number I set in the options, but I don't really care... What I noticed is the FPS being much more stable, and if they indeed slow down, it's much more linear than with XP...
In XP I've always had 40fps MAX (crappy video card, Nvidia Geforce 7500LE - 256 dedicated + up to 256 shared). In 7 I used to have up to 20 (!!!) fps, with drops at 5/6 fps... But I didn't remember that In XP I downloaded nHancer, so I did the same in 7 and all was fine. Upgraded to a Palit Radeon HD4650 1gb, now it is up to 140fps without vertical sync (60fps with it turned on) in Seven, 100 max in XP. So, hurrah to 7.

BTW, now I use ONLY 7: I wasn't so convinced about it until I tried it, now I've completely fallen in love with it.

Live for speed and windows 7
(139 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG