The online racing simulator
Bring back patch E!!!!!!!
(19 posts, started )
Hey guys i just got an s2 membership and ive played LFS literally on and really off for about 6 years.

I started in the demo on keyboard in 2003 on patch D or E i believe.

It was great, there were only a few hundred people on the demo and after a few months it was like a family. There was one or two servers i played in and everyone knew everyone it was great.

Best thing about the first patches of LFS was the keyboard support. Literally keyboard drifters pwned everyone. Back in 2003, literally 10 of us would drift around blackwood reverse all within feet of each other and it was easy as pie!!!!!!! but still fun, guess everyone else thought it was unfair.

I honestly wish you guys could bring back the keyboard assist and keep it in certain rooms only.

ALSO! a huge thing in patch e (dont remember exact number) but the steer angle was at least 10 degrees more and it allowed much wider and better drifts.

If the creators combined all the incredible elements that LFS has fortaken over the years and just gave the keyboard assist back it would really add a great amouth of enjoyment to the people who dont wanna dish out the $300 or so on the a wheel.

thats just my 2 cents.
#2 - amp88
Demo'er who bought a license after 6 years of using LFS on and off - Check.

Wants to bring back keyboard assists that make it easier for keyboard players to be faster than wheel users - Check.

Wants to bring in unrealistic maximum steering angles to help him drift - Check.

If you want to drift well with a keyboard try Need For Speed. If you want to drive in a simulator stay with LFS and buy a cheap second hand wheel.
Quote from amp88 :

Wants to bring in unrealistic maximum steering angles to help him drift - Check.

its no unrealistic for cars to have more lock then they do now
Quote from masternick :its no unrealistic for cars to have more lock then they do now

agreed i mean if i wanted to drift easly i would set my G25 to 180 deg lock

where is the fun in that ??? drifting even with proper wheel and steering wheel lock is far to easy in lfs compaired to RL :P
#6 - senn
back in the day, the cars had adjustable track (width between wheels) and also if i remember rightly up to 40 (or was it 45) degree lock. Both of these functions have been ditched. There WAS a program about that u could "tweak" your steering lock with, dunno if it works with the current patch. Just be aware it won't work online (cheat protection kicks in, unless the server, you, and anyone else who wants to play have the EXACT same tweak applied)

Good luck You may find the tyre physics/wear hold u back tho, but with practice, you'll get it like it was before tyres could blow lol
lol i wasent saying that it dosent seem realistic i was just saying its far to easy compaired to RL

the point i was geting at was discussed countless times about the tyres not acting correctly once they pass the limits of grip IE they still have to much grip this applys to straight line and while sliding
Quote from senn :back in the day, the cars had adjustable track (width between wheels) and also if i remember rightly up to 40 (or was it 45) degree lock. Both of these functions have been ditched. There WAS a program about that u could "tweak" your steering lock with, dunno if it works with the current patch. Just be aware it won't work online (cheat protection kicks in, unless the server, you, and anyone else who wants to play have the EXACT same tweak applied)

Good luck You may find the tyre physics/wear hold u back tho, but with practice, you'll get it like it was before tyres could blow lol

Valuemod? where you can adjust the maximum lock of the car?
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=32521
Actually I found driving with keyboard in patch F onwards far more rewarding and challenging than before, although not as fun from just slinging the car into corners and letting auto-countersteer sort your life out. Being able to actually feel the understeer I had in my setup, for the first time ever, was something of a revelation. I felt connected to a car at last, and not a train like vehicle that is was before.
Quote from Bob Smith :Actually I found driving with keyboard in patch F onwards far more rewarding and challenging than before, although not as fun from just slinging the car into corners and letting auto-countersteer sort your life out. Being able to actually feel the understeer I had in my setup, for the first time ever, was something of a revelation. I felt connected to a car at last, and not a train like vehicle that is was before.

but how do you "feel" anything? it's a keyboard. it has no tactile response...
I must admit, i couldn't drive a greasy stick up a dogs bum using the keyboard now. I was never very good with KB to begin with but im far worse now. It is like a dream driving with a wheel in comparision IMO

I went out and spent £40 on a Saitek R220 wheel, which is about $70 ish i think.

Its only a basic thing with 4 buttons, 2 pedals and paddles for changing gear, the only downside is it only has 180 deg rotation and no force feedback but i find it infinitely better than using the keyboard, as your inputs are so much smoother and give a lot better control of the car.
Quote from bunder9999 :but how do you "feel" anything? it's a keyboard. it has no tactile response...

It's an expression. I had a feel with kb back in the day, and I had a feel with mouse back when I used that. Of course it's not the same physical feel I get with a FFB wheel, it's just a mental connection that I get a connection with the car I'm driving, through visual feedback, and I feel more than just in control.
What was that keyboard assist thing he was talking about? Isn't there Kb Stabilized already?
It was much more then the current KB - Stabilized

Quote :Explanation of Recent Keyboard Changes - 21 Feb 2004

Here's an explanation of the reasons for the new keyboard steering systems found in the recent patches.

Explanation of the need for the Keyboard Changes :

The keyboard steering changes were introduced for the benefit of the Live for Speed Community - Keyboard users and Analogue users alike. They are meant to promote better competition and online racing and the LFS developers believe that these changes will achieve this.

Problems with the old system that the changes are designed to tackle :

Because of the extreme, accurate, predictive steering help, the old keyboard steering system automatically corrected skids for the user, in a sense before they even happened, so efficiently that a rear wheel drive car could be kept at full throttle even when a driving wheel was on the grass. This is not possible in real life or in Live for Speed either, due to human reaction time, when using any other control device such as a steering wheel or mouse. The same thing with hitting kerbs at high speed, as in real life, analogue users must be careful about hitting kerbs and release the throttle and attempt to control the car when these situations are unavoidable. Great skill can overcome many of the drawbacks of human reaction time, but never fully, and not to the standard of the computerised automatic steering that was present in the now obsolete keyboard steering system. This introduced 3 clear problems into the Live for Speed competitive environment.

1) Beginner Problem : Beginners found it too easy to drive the cars at high speed, being able to drive the cars very fast while mouse and wheel users at the same level of experience were still learning to control the car on the limit.

2) Hotlapping Problem : Keyboard users were able to refine their lines and take straighter lines through bends and chicanes because of their freedom to use the kerbs and grass edges due to the computer help.

3) Online Racing Problem : Keyboard users had very little fear of crashing and bumping with other cars. The slightest impact is very hard to control with mouse or wheel, as in real life racing, because of the upset balance of the car. A minority of keyboard drivers would use this to their advantage, often ramming their way through the field at turn 1 of a race, giving them an unfair advantage and making the analogue drivers lose the race when it had hardly begun.

http://www.lfs.net/?page=kb_explain
Ohh. That explains
Never thought I'd hear this argument brought up again. Ancient history this is.
Quote from Forbin :Never thought I'd hear this argument brought up again. Ancient history this is.

Lol you said this is long over get real and get a wheel(wow cool slogan)
i remember that! i would like the setup options, but the kb stuff would be WAYYY to advantageous
How is this a suggestion

Same, I also started playing in patch D-E and it was great fun then.

But things change, and you have to accept the changes. LFS is getting better and better.

(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG